Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Pronman: Auditing the grades for the 2016 NHL Draft

Paywall. Pronman ranks 2016 draft. Sharks go from C+ to C.

Really hard to grade as most kids are just starting out as 20 year olds this season. Sharks seem to pick kids that mature slower.
That's weird. Gambrell/Gregor/Blichfield look good. I mean Wiederer and Shoemaker won't be anything but the other three picks weren't bad. There's very few picks that I'm sad we missed on after those. I mean it's really only Mete, Bratt, Ronning and maybe Mamin that were picked after us that I would consider better picks.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
That's weird. Gambrell/Gregor/Blichfield look good. I mean Wiederer and Shoemaker won't be anything but the other three picks weren't bad. There's very few picks that I'm sad we missed on after those. I mean it's really only Mete, Bratt, Ronning and maybe Mamin that were picked after us that I would consider better picks.
Actually he lowered Gregor which I think is the main reason of lowering rating.

Regardless, Sharks rarely push their prospects to play pro (in NA) until they are at least 20, so we're talking rookies for the most part with this draft.

Five years post draft is a much more realistic "first look" at ranking draftees.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Russian Roster named for 2018 CIBC Canada Russia Series – CIBC Canada/Russia Series

EDITED
Ivan Chekhovich named to the Russian roster for the CHL Canada/Russia challenge. I was wrong initially, and he'll only play the games vs the QMJHL squad on teh 13th and 15th, not the earlier games. So I won't get to see him live. But the games are on Sportsnet in Canada and some of them are on the NHL Network in the US, so it's a chance to check out some good Jr hockey with a mix of drafted prospects and future draftees with an eye on building Canada and Russia's WJC squads for the next tournament (in Vancouver/Victoria)

The games are:
Monday Nov 5 - vs WHL - Kamloops, BC
Tuesday Nov 6 - vs WHL - Langley, BC (officially listed as "Vancouver" since it's the home of the Vancouver Giants and they want to sound more important)
Thursday Nov 8 - vs OHL - Sarnia, Ont
Monday Nov 12 - vs OHL - Oshawa, Ont
Tuesday Nov 13 - vs QMJHL - Sherbrooke, Que
Thursday Nov 15 - vs QMJHL - Drummondville, Que

Last edited:

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Russian Roster named for 2018 CIBC Canada Russia Series – CIBC Canada/Russia Series

Chekhovich was named to the full-series roster of the CHL Canada/Russia challenge. In Canada that means there'll be 6 chances to see him on TV against a trio of all-star teams made up of WJC eligible Canadian CHL players. Sometimes the NHL Network carries Sportsnet's CHL broadcasts for important events like the Memorial Cup. I wonder if they'll pick this up too.

On a personal note it means I'll get to see him live on Tuesday night when Game 2 of the WHL portion of the series is played here in Langley.

The games are:
Monday Nov 5 - vs WHL - Kamloops, BC
Tuesday Nov 6 - vs WHL - Langley, BC (officially listed as "Vancouver" since it's the home of the Vancouver Giants and they want to sound more important)
Thursday Nov 8 - vs OHL - Sarnia, Ont
Monday Nov 12 - vs OHL - Oshawa, Ont
Tuesday Nov 13 - vs QMJHL - Sherbrooke, Que
Thursday Nov 15 - vs QMJHL - Drummondville, Que

Pretty sure Chekhovich is only playing the two games against the Q

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I've followed this thread for many years. Having several propsects producing high level of stats seems to be beyond the norm

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
How has Ferraro looked?

@Sharksrule04

Actually haven't been able to watch the UMass games yet, but I'm guessing he's being used in a different role this year, hence the lowered production. UMass has a very good freshman defenseman (Del Gaizo) who is probably getting the PP minutes Ferraro used to get. I am likely going to one of their games next week, I'll report back how he performs.

Leonard on the other hand is doing really well production-wise as I expected.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Russia/OHL game #1 is on tonight. They're starting the 2nd now on Sportsnet Ontario. It's 2-1 OHL as the period begins. the CHL's gamecast page isn't working, so I don't have complete info on points or what number Merkley is wearing

EDIT: Merkley is wearing #6 for team OHL (the red jerseys with the white elbow/body stripe)

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings – Nov. 7/2018 – CHL

CHL Top 10 team power rankings for week 8 features some Sharks content:

1) Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) - Gregor
2) Ottawa 67s (OHL) - Chmelevski
3) Rouyn-Noranda Huskies (QMJHL) - Emond

4) Vancouver Giants (WHL)
5) Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL)
6) Baie-Comeau Drakkar (QMJHL) - Chekhovich
7) Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
8) Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds (OHL)
9) Red Deer Rebels (WHL)
10) Drummondville Voltigeurs (QMJHL)

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Russia/OHL game #1 is on tonight. They're starting the 2nd now on Sportsnet Ontario. It's 2-1 OHL as the period begins. the CHL's gamecast page isn't working, so I don't have complete info on points or what number Merkley is wearing

EDIT: Merkley is wearing #6 for team OHL (the red jerseys with the white elbow/body stripe)
I think he had a nice set up on Hayton's goal.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Merkley with an assist in the super series
Leonard with a goal and an assist
Chekhovich with an assist

Reactions: landshark

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I want to say Merkley is going to be our version of Barzal but there are so many people who hate Barzal here, not sure how that will go over .. :D
Given the financial implications heading into to next season, and his overall ability, I would no be surprised if Merkley makes the Sharks next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad