Sharks Player Nicknames

Mhoogasian94123

Posting to all boards for max input.

Ever since hearing Douglas Murray referred to as Cranky by his coach and team mates (cracked up when I hear that - evidently short for "crankshaft"?), I've been curious about the nicknames of the other players. Do you know them? Please add, and I'll update this list accordingly. I left a lot of them that I think I know intentionally blank, just in case it's wrong.

NOTE: Nicknames are often very screwy, so if you're joking, it may not be obvious. Please put a "!" or "(suggested)" or something next to a name if you're just joking about it (e.g., "Benchy" for Nitty). Also, if you see a nick below that you know is wrong, or are absolutely sure that it's one and not the others, please let me know so I can bold the one most used.

Forwards
# Name
29 Ryane Clowe "A" ______________ Clowie
39 Logan Couture ______________ Cooch, Cooter (not Juicy, hates that), Loco (heard by players in warmups?)
69 Andrew Desjardins ______________ "Desy" (Dehzzie)
55 Ben Eager ______________ Eags
78 Benn Ferriero ______________ Benny
15 Dany Heatley ______________ Heater
12 Patrick Marleau "A" ______________ Patty
72 Brandon Mashinter ______________ Mash, Masher
10 Jamal Mayers ______________ Jammer
43 John McCarthy ______________ Johnny(?)
64 Jamie McGinn ______________ Ginner, Sauce (ref. by Couture)
17 Torrey Mitchell ______________ Mitchie
21 Scott Nichol ______________ Scooter, Scottie, Peanut
8 Joe Pavelski ______________ Pavs, The BIG Pavelski, Little Joe
16 Devin Setoguchi ______________ Seto (not Gooch, he hates that)
19 Joe Thornton "C" ______________ Jumbo
20 Kyle Wellwood ______________ Woody, Welly, Weller
57 Tommy Wingels ______________ Tommy(?)

Defensemen
# Name
22 Dan Boyle "A" ______________ Boiler
61 Justin Braun ______________ Brauny
60 Jason Demers ______________ Jayse (referred to by Couture)
40 Kent Huskins ______________ Husky, Husker ("Vern" by Thornton, short for Husqvarna)
3 Douglas Murray ______________ Cranky, Crankshaft, Dougie
44 Marc-Edouard Vlasic ______________ Pickles
7 Niclas Wallin ______________ Wally
9 Ian White ______________ Whitey

Goalies
# Name
1 Thomas Greiss ______________ Greaser
31 Antti Niemi ______________ Nemo ("Rico" to Jumbo)
30 Antero Niittymaki ______________ Nitty
He was also called "Big Bird" when he was younger.

suitup17

Feb 7, 2009
Winnipeg
Have any of these nicknames changed? I'm gonna get some pucks signed with inscriptions from Frozen Pond of Couture, Pavelski, Thornton and Marleau. I think "Jumbo Joe" for Thornton and "The BIG Pavelski" for Pavelski are pretty sweet, but unsure of what to have inscribed for Marleau and Couture. The limit is 3 words.

PS I'm still a big Sharks fan, but its hard not to be a Jets fan when we finally have a team back.

Thanks for the help!

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
Have any of these nicknames changed? I'm gonna get some pucks signed with inscriptions from Frozen Pond of Couture, Pavelski, Thornton and Marleau. I think "Jumbo Joe" for Thornton and "The BIG Pavelski" for Pavelski are pretty sweet, but unsure of what to have inscribed for Marleau and Couture. The limit is 3 words.

PS I'm still a big Sharks fan, but its hard not to be a Jets fan when we finally have a team back.

Thanks for the help!

Couture - Juicy, Cooch, Cooter (highly un-recommended)

Last edited by a moderator:

suitup17

Feb 7, 2009
Winnipeg
Yeah the Couture nicknames don't seem to be that great, Juicy he seems to hate. They should call him The Wolverine since his name is Logan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Couture doesn't like "Juicy" because they sell primarily women's clothing, but he's fine with "Cooch" or "Cooter". :huh:

yeah weird, he doesn't like being nicked named after womans clothing. but would rather be nicknamed after woman parts he is an odd one that is for sure.

CBJenga

May 30, 2008
Couture doesn't like "Juicy" because they sell primarily women's clothing, but he's fine with "Cooch" or "Cooter". :huh:

Dude, there is a pretty solid culture problem in football disparaging homosexuals, and yet it's a bunch of men dressing it tights grabbing balls through each others legs.

Masculinity is a very fragile and completely nonsensical thing.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Uhhh, don't know if the sharks players ever used it but the best sharks nickname ever was:

Douglas Murray - The Douggernaut :yo:

To my taste it's the second best sports nickname of recent memory. For those interested, the greatest sports nickname goes to middling free-agent mlb relief pitcher:

Vinnie Chulk - AKA The Vincredible cHulk

Genius. :nod:

Dusk Soldier

Feb 26, 2010
I remember when Jay and Dan were still on TSN, whenever they'd recap a Sharks game, (and for those in here that don't get TSN you should know that unless they're playing a Canadian team, a Sharks game recap is like 20 secs) they would always find a play involving Vlasic just so they could say: "Marc-Edouard Vlasic, heir to the Vlasic Pickles fortune, ..."

domon

Apr 14, 2012
Joe Pavelski was confirmed by Brent Burns to be "Pokey" during that game stream thing. He said some people call him that.

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011
Joe Pavelski was confirmed by Brent Burns to be "Pokey" during that game stream thing. He said some people call him that.

Yep. That's the nickname that was on his army jacket during the 2012 playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad