Sharks on Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
Hopefully none of them make it. Would rather them use that time to rest up. Playoffs > Olympics

I love the playoffs more than the Olympics, but I really do appreciate seeing hockey at the highest level at the Olympics and it's a real treat to see it considering how infrequently it happens. Unparalleled skill, and I love that it's countries duking it out for national pride. Who said nationalism was a bad thing? :yo:

Mostly kidding about the nationalism thing, please don't freak out and reference the world wars or the age of imperialism/scramble for africa.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
We've been there, done that with Thornton and Marleau but I think Couture could make the team. Versatile, fast enough for big ice, and seems to raise his game in big situations.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
Vlasic is a lock imo.

Also Thornton quietly leads the league in assists, but no one cares about that because he's a big fat choker.

anyways, Couture will make it, Thornton MAY.. I doubt Marleau does unless he picks it up, gutless.

I know! He is really slacking being only 14th in goals and 19th in points. :sarcasm:

Grounded

Feb 27, 2012
It's actually really weird how many borderline Team Canada players the Sharks have. They have six players - Thornton, Marleau, Couture, Vlasic, Boyle, Burns - all of whom are neither 1. locks for the team, nor 2. long shots. That's kind of odd.

My own guess is that Couture and Vlasic will be the ones who make it. But who knows?

Last edited:

Backhandshelf81

Jun 14, 2013
Just Couture. Maybe Vlasic.

I really like Thornton, he's still an elite passer/playmaker, but he's slow now.

member 202355

Thornton, Couture and Vlasic all have a strong chance of making the squad.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Definitely not a lock...

Keith
Staal
Seabrook
Weber
Doughty
Pietrangelo
Doughty
Letang
Subban
Bouwmeester
Handedness really screws the righties here (seriously, as many as three of Boyle/Seabrook/Subban/Letang won't go) and should let Vlasic sneak in even if he doesn't have the pedigree of a lot of the other guys.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Definitely not a lock...

Keith
Staal
Seabrook
Weber
Doughty
Pietrangelo
Doughty
Letang
Subban
Bouwmeester

Soooo mannnnyyyy RDmen...... I hope pickles makes it though. Damn, I remember his rookie season still. It's been so fun watching him grow and mature to where he is right now. I'd rather he make it over any other Shark. Couture will make it eventually.

In terms of help, I'd rank them the following:
Vlasic
Couture
Marleau
Thornton
Boyle
Burns

ManOfSteel

Nov 18, 2013
Couture and Thornton.

The D-men will fight for a spot though. There's Pietrangelo, Keith, Subban, Seabrook, Weber, Doughty, Letang, Bouwmeester, Letang, Phaneuf. And throw Vlasic and Boyle there. It'll be interesting to see who will make it.

kaner13

Mar 27, 2011
If there's one guy on the Sharks I think could make the biggest impact for Canada, it's Thornton. Physical presence, one of the best playmakers in the game and understands the big-ice. He can also move pretty well for a big man.

Vlasic as a replacement on D would be ideal, no issue having him out there in the defensive zone.

That being said, any of those guys from the Sharks wouldn't look particularly out of place and could most likely contribute positively to the team.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I am hoping Pickles makes the team. Folks are right in that there are better d-men who are in contention to make the team. What many are missing is there are not many better left D who are in contention. That, coupled with coaching preferences (having d-men play on their natural side), may make him a starter for Team Canada.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I think the Sharks will put three on team Canada.

Couture, Thornton and Vlasic. I think there is also a change the Boyle sneaks on to the team playing with Vlasic as a set pair.

In total I think the Sharks have close to half their roster playing in Sochi and will likely lead the league in players sent.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't think Thornton, Burns, or Marleau sniff this squad. Couture and Vlasic have a great shot, and Boyle is probably closer than a lot of Canadian fans would like to believe.

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
Why does everyone consider Couture a lock for team Canada? Honest question, I have barely seen any Sharks games (usually start 5am local time) so enlighten me. I realise he's been producing very well this season but he's still quite young and has a career high of 65 points. Team Canada winger spot is ultra-competitive yet he's considered a lock by many.

EDIT: just noting that I'm not trolling or flaming, just genuinely curious about Couture's rise to stardom.

DuckEatinShark

GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
Why does everyone consider Couture a lock for team Canada? Honest question, I have barely seen any Sharks games (usually start 5am local time) so enlighten me. I realise he's been producing very well this season but he's still quite young and has a career high of 65 points. Team Canada winger spot is ultra-competitive yet he's considered a lock by many.

Probably because he is a center, not a winger, although Canada's center depth is pretty strong too.

Honestly, I don't see any Shark making Team Canada this year. Just a gut feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->