Proposal: Sharks -NYR

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Would SJ consider Zetterlund to NYR for our 1st straight up???
Or Zetterlund/sturm for Robertson or Jones + 1st?

I think zetts would be a solid 3rd component to kreider/zibby.
He can move around the top 9 if need be.
At 2.4 mill for the rest of this year and next it allows NYR to keep him when chytil returns as well.( hopefully)
SJ gets a 3rd 1st rounder to go big game hunting in the offseason and a lil bit of cap space to re allocate elsewhere.

Zetts due for a raise after next season. SJ has to revamp their D and add some cost controlled fwds.
Hertl and couture are likely their for the long run… don’t see SJ competing for a playoff spot for 2-3 seasons…
Similar price to what Aves paid for lehkonen…
Thoughts???

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would consider it but Zetterlund‘s value to us is super high as one of the few young contributing players that can be part of the future.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
No. We need some halfway decent forwards on this team and Zetterlund is one of the few that we have. He’s a Swiss-army knife of a player who is physical, fast, and has enough talent to play with top-6 guys. Plus he’s only 23 and is BFFs with William Eklund. I see him as a good complementary player who will still be good when the Sharks are good again. A pick in the late 20’s doesn’t do anything for me.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Would SJ consider Zetterlund to NYR for our 1st straight up???
Or Zetterlund/sturm for Robertson or Jones + 1st?

I think zetts would be a solid 3rd component to kreider/zibby.
He can move around the top 9 if need be.
At 2.4 mill for the rest of this year and next it allows NYR to keep him when chytil returns as well.( hopefully)
SJ gets a 3rd 1st rounder to go big game hunting in the offseason and a lil bit of cap space to re allocate elsewhere.

Zetts due for a raise after next season. SJ has to revamp their D and add come cost controlled fwds.
Hertl and couture are likely their for the long run… don’t see SJ competing for a playoff spot for 2-3 seasons…
Similar price to what Aves paid for lehkonen…
Thoughts???
Wait..? You want us to trade a 1st round pick ± for a 24 year old 3rd liner who is technically another LW?

I knoe Zetterlund has been playing RW on the Sharks top line but he is far from what we need.

We need a proper 1RW not a 3LW thrust into 1RW.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Wait..? You want us to trade a 1st round pick ± for a 24 year old 3rd liner who is technically another LW?

I knoe Zetterlund has been playing RW on the Sharks top line but he is far from what we need.

The value of late 1st round picks is grossly overrated. Go to Hockey db and look at every pick in the Rangers potential range in the last 25 years. You will be disappointed.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Zetterlund is a solid player and still pretty young, but I would probably do it for a 1st round pick

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Watched him a lot with the devils as well.
Him switching from RW to LW and vice versa never seemed to phase him. They even deployed him at center a few times….
His constant motor, always goes balls out in effort, finishes checks, and adds some goal scoring is what that zibby/Kreider duo needs.
He does the dirty work and goes to the right areas of the ice. He also always finishes his checks

The value of late 1st round picks is grossly overrated. Go to Hockey db and look at every pick in the Rangers potential range in the last 25 years. You will be disappointed.
I mean, he’s a solid complementary piece with a lot of versatility, I figure lehkonen etc would be a solid comparable…..

Imo SJ would rather add another 1st to their arsenal then a 2nd plus good prospect

Last edited:

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Looking at all late picks from NYR from a play off position say 16 onwards in the last 25 years, we have actually hit more that we missed. If anything we missed on more top 10 picks that we hit.

The majority of our 1st round picks from 16 onwards have managed to carve out decent NHL careers so far.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Looking at all late picks from NYR from a play off position say 16 onwards in the last 25 years, we have actually hit more that we missed. If anything we missed on more top 10 picks that we hit.

The majority of our 1st round picks from 16 onwards have managed to carve out decent NHL careers so far.

I wouldn’t call 16 „late“, my threshold would have been 21 and later (dunno if that makes a big difference in case of the Rangers).

Of those picks you mentioned: How many have been better than Zetterlund?

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
I wouldn’t call 16 „late“, my threshold would have been 21 and later (dunno if that makes a big difference in case of the Rangers).

Of those picks you mentioned: How many have been better than Zetterlund?
Well I say later than 16 as this is the lowest draft position for a play off team. Technically later than 15 before Seattle joined.

NYR 1st Round Draft Picks from 15OA onwards:

2023 - 23: Gabe Perreault - Strong Prospect
2021 - 16: Brennan Othmann - Strong Prospect
2020 - 19: Braden Schneider
2018 - 23: K'Andre Miller
2018 - 28: Nils Lundkvist
2017 - 21: Filip Chytil
2012 - 28: Brady Skjei
2011 - 15: JT Miller
2009 - 19: Chris Kreider
2008 - 20: Michael Del Zotto
2007 - 17: Alexei Cherepanov (RIP)
2004 - 19: Lauri Korpikoski

That's all our 1st round picks for the last 25 years from 15 and later. I would say most have had good careers so far and have been hits rather than misses.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I would actually wonder how he'd work with Kreider/Zibanejad tbh. As a Devils fan, I'd hate it in general but him on that line might work. The first is pretty damn rich though. NYR needs to use that on a stud
Good neither team likes it. Fair trade..
I hated that he was a devil. Guy was always all over the ice against us.
Not the flashiest add, but with his ability to play both wings well I think he’d be a great complimentary piece to kreider/zibby….
Like a NYR version of Verheagie/hagel/lehkonen
Imo the devils lost a lot of their identity by moving him, wood, etc

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006

Except that does not encompass the complete value of a first round pick.

First round picks have value beyond player talent because they allow for control and the ability to collect a prospect.

The worst outcome for a first round pick is a player who is good enough to earn a large second contract but is actually a mediocre player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad