Sharks News/Notes XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't plan on getting an NHL game until Seattle comes into the league since the last one I got was terrible. I always thought the ratings were bad since there was never a big enough gap between the superstars and the just okay players.
I am still miffed that they don't have NHL back on PC. I have both Xbox One and PS4 but really play more on the PC than anything else.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Kane joins Thornton and Burns as a Shark who's been in the ESPN body issue.

I think he's taken over Pavs spot as wife's favorite!

Not to go all Babe Threads, but the dude from free solo- holy crap!

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Tomas Hertl in Chicago for NHL Media Tour (and went to NFL game tonight with the Bears hosting, along with almost every other NHLer in town for the tour).

So, expect to see clips, etc.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I somewhat agree, but most sports games these days (well, games in general really) are just microtransation/gambling-riddled messes these days, so I'm good not keeping up.

Yup, and as long as people keep doing it, the more microtransactions the game companies put in. People complain about it, but they do it anyway. The best way to complain about it is don't do it in the first place.

With regards to the Sharks' ratings, I bet Vlasic is in the low-80s since most video game ratings are offensive based. Also, Doughty has a better overall rating (91) than both Burns and Karlsson. While Doughty is a really good real life player, I found that kinda funny.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Yup, and as long as people keep doing it, the more microtransactions the game companies put in. People complain about it, but they do it anyway. The best way to complain about it is don't do it in the first place.

If the only games that are out there are MTX-riddled, the industry isn't giving us much of a choice. You can't just expect people to just stop playing video games.

Plus, a lot of it comes down to a lack of proper rating regulations and whatnot. The ESRB and PEGI are all industry self-regulating organizations. They won't tell people that there's gambling in FIFA or whatever because then they couldn't rate it E for Everyone and lose all that revenue. A lot of people just don't know how bad it really is, so they just accept whatever inconvenience as an evolving system, rather than exploitation.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I don't know anything about baseball. Anybody got thoughts on Colletti?
He wasn't a very good GM. He started with the Giants, and when he got to the Dodgers he would just sign former Giants players like Jeff Kent, Juan Uribe and Jason Schmidt, even though they were pretty bad. He overpaid a lot of over the hill players in general like Andruw Jones and Juan Pierre. I have no idea if he has any redeeming qualities as a scout.

Last edited:

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
He wasn't a very good GM. He started with the Giants, and when he got to the Dodgers he would just sign former Giants players like Jeff Kent, Juan Uribe and Jason Schmidt, even though they were pretty bad. He overpaid a lot of over the hill players in general like Andruw Jones and Juan Pierre. I have no idea if he has any redeeming qualities as a scout.

He was a pretty bad GM but he did grow up playing hockey and was a Flyers beat writer for a bit

Former Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti hired as a hockey scout

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
They mention that they are bringing him in for a different perspective, and honestly, I think that could have some merit. Obviously a smart guy, gets pro-sports, could help the team identify things that the group think of the NHL would miss. Worst possible scenario we waste a little bit of a billionaires money.

When you look at the NHL, scouting, there is this huge lean towards tradition. History. Breaking that perspective is how you find value others are missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad