Confirmed with Link: Sharks issue QO to Noah Gregor; Nick Merkley and Ryan Donato not qualified

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Would guess Merkley comes in at league minimum but on a 1 way deal. Was on a 2 way deal this year at about $875k NHL pay and $70k AHL pay. His QO would’ve been north of $900k so this makes sense.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I can see them coming to a deal with Donato at league minimum or close to it, but his QO is simply too high for what he brings.

Not sure on the Merkley thing, I think he would be a great 4th liner and maybe a late bloomer, ala Goodrow, and his QO would’ve been cheap.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I can see them coming to a deal with Donato at league minimum or close to it, but his QO is simply too high for what he brings.

Not sure on the Merkley thing, I think he would be a great 4th liner and maybe a late bloomer, ala Goodrow, and his QO would’ve been cheap.
Can save $170k or so to sign Merkley at $750k league min compared to his QO. Worthwhile in a tight cap situation.

Reactions: themelkman

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

I havent seen Merkley play at all, and maybe im underestimating how difficult it is to play, but it really doesn't take a lot to be effective like Goodrow. Limited puck skills but intense drive to give every shift his all. Not many players on our roster have that kind of relentless energy, even though so many would be better for it if they did.

Point being, fourth line spot shouldn't be too hard to earn if players bust ass a la Goodrow.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I was watching some highlights of Merkley. Alot to like. Seems to be some untapped potential there. 24 yrs old and a former 1st rd pick. Maybe Sheppard 2.0?

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Is there a free agency window this year? Given DW's comments maybe he has deals in place...
There is not. The guys that have talked with other teams are mostly guys who were bought out and allowed to negotiate or someone like Hamilton who was given permission to speak with other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad