Sharks Goaltenders..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Jerk*

I can't seem to find much info on the Sharks goaltending prospects. I know they have two Germans, and one Kazakh, but who would be considered their goaltender of the future? I can't find much information on Greiss other then he's playing in the DEL, and didn't have a great WJC for Germany.

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
Dimitri Pätzold: He played in Cleveland last year and seemed to have a good season. Don't know too much, that was going on in Cleveland. But it shouldn't be hard to find some information about him. Btw: He was born in Kazakhstan, but he's a German and has played for Germany at the WJC.

Patrick Ehelechner: He signed with Mannheim and will probably spend at least one year in Germany. Mannheim doesn't have a No.1 goalie so far, but if they have one, Ehelechner will likely be his backup. As I'm a fan of Mannheim, I can follow his play.

Thomas Greiss: He's the backup in Köln of our national goalie Oliver Jonas. I hardly know him.

BTW: Mannheim lost its first test 2-4. Patrick Ehelechner got 4 goals within the 30 mins he played. But you cannot take that test for real, because it was Mannheim's first game of the year and they hardly have 6 d-men (incl. 2 junior-players). The season starts in september. Stay tuned :).

X-SHARKIE

Patzold and Greiss are definitley the leaders of the pack IMO, but Ehelechner is more mature and furthur along then Greiss so expect his impact sooner.

Both goaltenders look like young Nabakov's .... no joke... Patzolds improvement from this year from the past was dramatic, and really caught me off guard.

He's always been an athletic goaltender with excellent reflexes, but this year he worked on the mechanics more and he looked much better for it...his rebound control has come along way.

IMO He's the #1 goaltending prospect in the system, but apparently you ask the Sharks staff, and they say Greiss is.

Here is a great article on Sharks prospects, including goaltenders.
http://www.nhl.com/futures/features/prospects_san080905.html

Also the Sharks added Alex Stalock, USHL Playoff MVP, and Taylor Dakers, a good prospect stuck behind a better on in Jeff Glass in Kooteny.

Greiss has the biggest upside, but he's still very raw and has alot of development ahead...much like Nabby had to.

Patzold is coming along very nicely and I expect him to get more action this year in the AHL, and be Clevelands go to guy.

I also hear from fans in Cleveland that Dimitry is an awesome person. Good guy.

EDIT: I only saw Greiss play vs Canada at the WJC, and he looked pretty impressive, you couldn't fault him for those goals, mabye Stewarts five whole from the side slot, but other then that I was impressed with his reflexes, poise, and athleticism, very strong laterally and excellent flexibility.

Sharks lack a top end kid, but they have a lot of raw talents and with Strewlow developing them, anything can happen.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
X-SHARKIE said:
EDIT: I only saw Greiss play vs Canada at the WJC, and he looked pretty impressive, you couldn't fault him for those goals, mabye Stewarts five whole from the side slot, but other then that I was impressed with his reflexes, poise, and athleticism, very strong laterally and excellent flexibility.

Sharks lack a top end kid, but they have a lot of raw talents and with Strewlow developing them, anything can happen.
That's exactly what I was going to say. Greiss practically got thrown to the wolves against Canada, and considering the circumstances (playing on a weak German team against the best team in the tournament and possibly the best Canadian team ever), he did pretty well for himself.

And like you say, the Sharks have a talent for developing unorthdox goalies. Come on, the last three quality stoppers out of our pipeline were a Kazak (Nabby) and a pair of Fins (Toskala and Kiprusoff. At a time when Finnish goalies weren't what they are now), and look where they ended up. I have little doubt that someone out of that pack of prospects will shine, and for some reason, I have a feeling that it'll be Greiss.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
MAF said:
Patrick Ehelechner: He signed with Mannheim and will probably spend at least one year in Germany. Mannheim doesn't have a No.1 goalie so far, but if they have one, Ehelechner will likely be his backup. As I'm a fan of Mannheim, I can follow his play.
Whould Desrochers start over him?

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
Hedberg said:
Whould Desrochers start over him?
We'll have to see, but I think so.

DesRochers does have a try-out in Mannheim right now. If they sign him, then he will be their starting goalie. And I don't think that Mannheim is going to start the season with 2 unproven 20-year-olds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad