Sharks Fans !!! Which prospect do you want the most in this draft class?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by essence of phoenix, May 5, 2011.

1. essence of phoenix

essence of phoenix Registered User

Title says it all, keep in mind pick is likely to be 28-30. Just curious as to who you want the Sharks to draft and why you think they'd be beneficial to the sharks whether it be depth needs or positional or skill attributes.

2. Lazarrr

Lazarrr Registered User

Shane Prince :sarcasm:

3. SwolePatrol

SwolePatrol Eberle=Clutch

from people expected to go around 28-30, i would be proud to select from the saint john sea dogs, Centreman, Zack Phillips.

we have plenty of d and goalie prospects, so we need some solid fwd prospects

4. Juxtaposer

Juxtaposer Outro: Divina Comedia

We need scoring wingers. I'm not sure who exactly, as I don't really watch them play. I follow mock drafts a bit, but they're all over the place.

5. bullslugg

bullslugg Registered User

Would love it if Phillips is there when the sharks pick, I like Boone Jenner also.

6. Canadian91

Canadian91 Registered User

They should trade their 1st rounder next year for Toffoli :sarcasm::sarcasm:

7. Leafssss

Leafssss Registered User

I'd go with the more Boom/Bust higher talent pick if I was San Jose rather then a relatively safe Boone Jenner (probably great 3rd line centre) pick.

Your elite talent of Heatley, Thornton and Marleau is declining, and with that I'd say you have enough time to develop these "project picks" like the Kokhlachevs, Namestinovs, Puempels to hopefully replace them ;P

8. pdxshark

pdxshark Registered User

homer pick but i'd love to see bartschi slide (and thats not too big a stretch). Would fit in with San Jose's system really well. Johnston plays a puck posession style here in portland similar to babcock/mclellan. He's very good at puck recovery and maintaining posession.

9. poppap527

poppap527 Registered User

Sharks Mantra tends to be to select the best player available. Unless its a third or fourth round pick, then we will take a goalie regardless.

10. Hertl Power

Hertl Power Registered User

Sharks will continue there streak of years without drafting a Russian. Most likely they stick to Canada or USA for their first round pic.

11. essence of phoenix

essence of phoenix Registered User

I agree they will likely go off the board as per usual. Although they don't draft a whole lot out of the QMJHL how would everyone feel about drafting Phillip Danault? Won Guy Carbonneau award for top defensive player in the league even though he just turned 18 and was named captain at age 17 in a league with 18 and 19 year olds. Apparently has great character and passion which is a trait the sharks constantly talk about. Has some decent Offensive pop and is a LW which fits the bill in terms of organizational depth

12. SwolePatrol

SwolePatrol Eberle=Clutch

we have seto, couture, pavelski, possibley clowe and hopefully coyle for when HTML move on, so we really need only 1-2 top line fwds in the next few years. and id bet thornton and marleau finish their careers here.

13. brtriad

brtriad Registered User

Student
    Sharks are fantastic drafters. Coyle is going to be a stud.

14. matt trick

matt trick Registered User

Current line up of ideal prospect ceilings and analysis (disclaimer: please realize that beyond Coyle and Braun, there are no safe bets in the pipeline, everyone else is perfectly capable of busting, my analysis focuses on potential, not likelihood of reaching it):

Potential first liners
    _____-Coyle-_____

Potential Second/third liners

Mashinter-Viedensky-Ferrerio
    Hamilton-________-Sgarbossa

Potential Bottom 6ers:

McCartey-Desjardin-Wingels

Other forward prospects
    Max Gaede
    Phil Varone

In the show: Couture, Setoguchi, McGinn

Top 2 d-men
    Braun-Doherty

Notes:
    Top 4 d-men
    Petrecki

Possible NHL d-men:
    Alberthauser
    Belieke
    Wrenn
    Schaus
    Irwin

In the show: Demers, Vlasic

Goalies: f-ing loaded, as usual (Stalock, Sateri, and Anderson have all looked good to spectacular at varying points). Will continue to keep this area full with free agents and mid round picks.

Long term organizational needs: #1 d-man, #1 LW (most pressing), #2 C, #2 D-man, #2 LW, #2 RW.

FTR, the thoughts on the prospects are my own, I put it in quotes to look pretty.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  15. matt trick

Who I want with our top two picks:
    1) Homerun d-man.
    If Murphy/Hamilton slips, I want them. However, if the Sharks brass isn't confident in a guy being a future #1 or #2, pass on d-men. White, Braun, Demers, Vlasic, Murray, Doherty, Wrenn, Petrecki should be more than enough for the #3-#7 for the next several years. Also, with Demers and Braun, the Sharks scouts have done well in the later rounds for d-men, focus on them there.

2) Boom-bust forward (non-Russian-->realism in SJ, nothing personal).
    If Grimaldi falls, I'd take him. Coyle, Clowe, Mashinter, Heater, Thornton, Marleau, and Viedensky give the Sharks a lot of beef, he'd have plenty of protection. Similarly, our team could use more speed, shiftness, and dangle. Few offer more than Grimaldi. I think there are few stars in this draft, so I'd take his boom-bust over a future 2nd liner. Also, like that he brings grit, leadership, and character. I expect he will be better than Nathan Gerbe, who looked mighty fine in the playoffs this year.

3) Best forward available
    If we walk away with a future second line left winger, I'll be pretty pleased. And given the depth (if not high end) of this draft. I think it is reasonable to hope for this. I'd be looking for offensive potential, speed, two-way ability, character, and size in that order (probably won't get all of those attributes at 26-30). Puempel, Jensen, Jaskin, Catenacci, plenty of others of interest.

16. Patty Ice

Patty Ice Best in the World

Rocco Grimaldi is the name I'm hoping to hear.

17. matt trick

Likewise, how much would you be willing to trade up for him, should it become necessary? I have seen some predict him falling to the second round, but without a huge group of high end talents, I could see him going top 15. I'd say only the top eight have clear cut higher potential, but he is far, far more risky.

18. TNT8592

TNT8592 Registered User

Mark Scheifele plz :handclap: