Sharks Fans !!! Which prospect do you want the most in this draft class?

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Title says it all, keep in mind pick is likely to be 28-30. Just curious as to who you want the Sharks to draft and why you think they'd be beneficial to the sharks whether it be depth needs or positional or skill attributes.

Jul 10, 2010
from people expected to go around 28-30, i would be proud to select from the saint john sea dogs, Centreman, Zack Phillips.

we have plenty of d and goalie prospects, so we need some solid fwd prospects

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
We need scoring wingers. I'm not sure who exactly, as I don't really watch them play. I follow mock drafts a bit, but they're all over the place.

Leafssss

Jun 23, 2010
CANADA
Would love it if Phillips is there when the sharks pick, I like Boone Jenner also.

I'd go with the more Boom/Bust higher talent pick if I was San Jose rather then a relatively safe Boone Jenner (probably great 3rd line centre) pick.

Your elite talent of Heatley, Thornton and Marleau is declining, and with that I'd say you have enough time to develop these "project picks" like the Kokhlachevs, Namestinovs, Puempels to hopefully replace them ;P

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
homer pick but i'd love to see bartschi slide (and thats not too big a stretch). Would fit in with San Jose's system really well. Johnston plays a puck posession style here in portland similar to babcock/mclellan. He's very good at puck recovery and maintaining posession.

poppap527

Aug 3, 2006
Sharks Mantra tends to be to select the best player available. Unless its a third or fourth round pick, then we will take a goalie regardless.

Hertl Power

May 7, 2010
Bay Area, California
I'd go with the more Boom/Bust higher talent pick if I was San Jose rather then a relatively safe Boone Jenner (probably great 3rd line centre) pick.

Your elite talent of Heatley, Thornton and Marleau is declining, and with that I'd say you have enough time to develop these "project picks" like the Kokhlachevs, Namestinovs, Puempels to hopefully replace them ;P

Sharks will continue there streak of years without drafting a Russian. Most likely they stick to Canada or USA for their first round pic.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I agree they will likely go off the board as per usual. Although they don't draft a whole lot out of the QMJHL how would everyone feel about drafting Phillip Danault? Won Guy Carbonneau award for top defensive player in the league even though he just turned 18 and was named captain at age 17 in a league with 18 and 19 year olds. Apparently has great character and passion which is a trait the sharks constantly talk about. Has some decent Offensive pop and is a LW which fits the bill in terms of organizational depth

Jul 10, 2010
we have seto, couture, pavelski, possibley clowe and hopefully coyle for when HTML move on, so we really need only 1-2 top line fwds in the next few years. and id bet thornton and marleau finish their careers here.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Current line up of ideal prospect ceilings and analysis (disclaimer: please realize that beyond Coyle and Braun, there are no safe bets in the pipeline, everyone else is perfectly capable of busting, my analysis focuses on potential, not likelihood of reaching it):

Potential first liners
_____-Coyle-_____

Notes: There is no denying the team lacks upper end offensive talent. Despite the anger of many Sharks fans, Coyle has looked very, very good thus far. He has that rare combination of size, speed, and skill. I think we are almost certainly looking at a NHL player in Coyle. Whether it is as a first or second liner is yet to be seen, but he reminds of Backes in play style, but without the pit bull attitude. Potentially a great fit with Couture/Pavelski in a few years.

Potential Second/third liners

Mashinter-Viedensky-Ferrerio
Hamilton-________-Sgarbossa

Mashinter is essentially a Ryane Clowe clone. His development may not be as successful, but he is actually beyond where Clowe was at a similar point. Huge size, fights everybody, pretty good skater, puck control, and scoring ability. However, to meet Clowe's level will require significantly more offensive development.

Ferrerio might catch on as a third liner on the sharks third offensive line, but at 24, he only has so much development left. However, he could very well have enough tools to catch on.

Sgarbossa and Hamilton have recently exploded becoming offensive and two-way threats. Too soon to say on either but they have enough potential to hold out hope for.

Potential Bottom 6ers:

McCartey-Desjardin-Wingels

Notes: Likely will crack short to medium careers in San Jose or another team's bottom 6. Offer speed, grit, defensive awareness, and a bit of scoring (Wingels in particular).

Other forward prospects
Max Gaede
Phil Varone

In the show: Couture, Setoguchi, McGinn

Top 2 d-men
Braun-Doherty

Notes:
I'd say Braun is as safe a top 4 d-man a team can have in the pipeline. His speed, shot, intelligence, and size could make him a top pairing guy. He looked overmatched physically at times, but that will come, he has the frame to be a pretty well sized NHL d-man. Potentially a great fit with Vlasic long term. Defense needs to be cleaned up a bit at the NHL level, as he often would lose his man. Passing ability is very good, shot is hard, heavy, accurate, and gets through. Might have the best point shot among Sharks d-man (including Boyle and White). In contrast, Doherty is anything but a safe bet, as his game has requires considerable refinement to be an NHL pro. However, the abilities and 6'8 size could make him the best d-man on the team in 5 years. Needs to use his size more and further develop his offense. Defense is solid but has a ways to go to be a true two-way threat. Definition of a boom bust.

Top 4 d-men
Petrecki

Notes: Rapidly improving, since a rough rookie pro year, but hasn't lived up to his 28th pick since become an AHLer. Won most improved for W-Sharks. Still hoping for a Cory Sarich to Robyn Regher type. Effort, size, heart and physicality are unquestioned. Speed, transition game, offense, skating and intelligence have been.

Possible NHL d-men:
Alberthauser
Belieke
Wrenn
Schaus
Irwin

Notes: Varying abilities, styles, proximity to NHL. None are safe bets, none are yet busts. Alberthauser is looking rather solid, but it is too soon to say who does and doesn't have NHL futures.
In the show: Demers, Vlasic

Goalies: f-ing loaded, as usual (Stalock, Sateri, and Anderson have all looked good to spectacular at varying points). Will continue to keep this area full with free agents and mid round picks.

Long term organizational needs: #1 d-man, #1 LW (most pressing), #2 C, #2 D-man, #2 LW, #2 RW.

FTR, the thoughts on the prospects are my own, I put it in quotes to look pretty.

Last edited:

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Who I want with our top two picks:
1) Homerun d-man.
If Murphy/Hamilton slips, I want them. However, if the Sharks brass isn't confident in a guy being a future #1 or #2, pass on d-men. White, Braun, Demers, Vlasic, Murray, Doherty, Wrenn, Petrecki should be more than enough for the #3-#7 for the next several years. Also, with Demers and Braun, the Sharks scouts have done well in the later rounds for d-men, focus on them there.

2) Boom-bust forward (non-Russian-->realism in SJ, nothing personal).
If Grimaldi falls, I'd take him. Coyle, Clowe, Mashinter, Heater, Thornton, Marleau, and Viedensky give the Sharks a lot of beef, he'd have plenty of protection. Similarly, our team could use more speed, shiftness, and dangle. Few offer more than Grimaldi. I think there are few stars in this draft, so I'd take his boom-bust over a future 2nd liner. Also, like that he brings grit, leadership, and character. I expect he will be better than Nathan Gerbe, who looked mighty fine in the playoffs this year.

3) Best forward available
If we walk away with a future second line left winger, I'll be pretty pleased. And given the depth (if not high end) of this draft. I think it is reasonable to hope for this. I'd be looking for offensive potential, speed, two-way ability, character, and size in that order (probably won't get all of those attributes at 26-30). Puempel, Jensen, Jaskin, Catenacci, plenty of others of interest.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Rocco Grimaldi is the name I'm hoping to hear.

Likewise, how much would you be willing to trade up for him, should it become necessary? I have seen some predict him falling to the second round, but without a huge group of high end talents, I could see him going top 15. I'd say only the top eight have clear cut higher potential, but he is far, far more risky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad