Sharks fan visiting the area

cjod86

Mar 2, 2008
San Jose
Hey guys, Sharks fan here coming in peace (mostly). I'll be visiting the area Saint Paddy's day weekend with some friends to catch a road Sharks' game and to check out the Vancouver area. Any insight/suggestions you can provide would be much appreciated. Looking for the following:

-Where to sit at the game? Best seats in the house, best bang for your buck seats, etc.
-Where to stay? Hotel close to the stadium or in another part of the downtown area...Airbnb?
-What to do? Any spots we must check out, cool bars to grab a beer, restaurants with killer food, nice places to walk around, etc.
-What NOT to do? Anything we should be sure to avoid and/or behavior we should definitely not exhibit. I'm fairly non-confrontational and not obnoxious, but cultural differences do exist and you never know.

Thanks in advance and Go Sharks!

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Any seat in the arena is good.

If you're not renting a car, stay in downtown or richmond (skytrain services to downtown from here). There is no uber. Taxis are expensive.

Just go on yelp and look at food. There's a lot of good food for each budget. Just roam downtown and look around.

Don't be a dick. This applies in all cities in the world.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Be aware that you should know that there is only one best place on the west coast of north america, and that is , of course, Toffino. To suggest that any other place is even close could lead to fights and riots.

Please note, I have been to Toffino exactly once, and that was 1973, and I got their on a bike from west vancouver.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Anywhere is a good seat pretty much. You should be able to get them fairly cheap.

Seawall. Granville. Stanley Park. There’s quite a bit to do, so depends on what your plans really are. If it’s more of a get drunk kind of weekend then those things probably aren’t going to be worthwhile.

There’s a bunch of hotels within walking distance, just depends what is cheapest for that weekend. No uber here, so you’re better off to just walk everywhere and use taxi as a last resort.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Hey guys, Sharks fan here coming in peace (mostly). I'll be visiting the area Saint Patty's day weekend with some friends to catch a road Sharks' game and to check out the Vancouver area. Any insight/suggestions you can provide would be much appreciated. Looking for the following:

-Where to sit at the game? Best seats in the house, best bang for your buck seats, etc.
-Where to stay? Hotel close to the stadium or in another part of the downtown area...Airbnb?
-What to do? Any spots we must check out, cool bars to grab a beer, restaurants with killer food, nice places to walk around, etc.
-What NOT to do? Anything we should be sure to avoid and/or behavior we should definitely not exhibit. I'm fairly non-confrontational and not obnoxious, but cultural differences do exist and you never know.

In all honesty you're better off saving your money than wasting it at the arena. Literally everything is over priced. Parking? None unless you want to spend $25 minimum. Beer? $9. Food? Overpriced. However. if you must watch a game there I found lower bowl 6 rows above centre ice was a great view to watch the game.

-Vancouver has a lot of hotels so pick one you enjoy in the States and are comfortable with. Hilton is always a good choice but again there are so many hotels that your better off finding one you and your friends all like from the reviews. AirBNB? Yah we have that and if your friends are willing I'd use it. Cheaper than a hotel that's for sure.

-If you guys want a nice bar or whatever just walk down Granville street near the Stadium after the Canucks/Sharks game. The streets near Granville and the street itself has dozens of bars/clubs/restaurants so check them out. Yale town is like 10-15 taxi ride from Granville and is a little more mature crowd with a lot of bars/lounges here. Nice place to walk around also.

-Don't go to the Vancouver east side, it's the ghetto. Hastings is a dangerous street at dark so be wary. Also if you're rocked out in your Sharks jersey just go back to your hotel and change. Most people here don't care what you're dressed or what you're wearing but that 1 in 100 drunk idiot walking down Granville may say something stupid or if they're immature push you. Better off avoiding that crap altogether.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
My advice for after the game activities is not to go to Granville Street. A lot of people with crummy attitudes. Head down Abbott Street towards the Gastown area. Far more interesting area with a way better vibe. The Downtown Eastside is close to Gastown, but if you happen to come upon it you'll be fine. It's bark is way worse than its bite. And you'll be perfectly fine wearing your jersey. Just don't walk down the street chanting "U.S.A.! U.S.A.!" That will garner you some attention.

cjod86

Mar 2, 2008
San Jose
Make a reservation in advance at AnnaLena trust me AnnaLena, Vancouver - Kitsilano - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor. My fav restaurant in Vancouver

Gastown and Yaletown for pub crawling. Stay away from Granville st at night. It's terrible. I call it the Thunderdome. Cuz the people are like the characters in the movie

Lol at Thunderdome, I will keep that in mind for sure. Also, thanks for the restaurant tip, we'll definitely consider.

cjod86

Mar 2, 2008
San Jose
Be aware that you should know that there is only one best place on the west coast of north america, and that is , of course, Toffino. To suggest that any other place is even close could lead to fights and riots.

Please note, I have been to Toffino exactly once, and that was 1973, and I got their on a bike from west vancouver.

Probably won't make it out to Toffino on this trip, but I will keep that in mind for future. We'll likely be sticking to the downtown area this time around.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Be sure to try some sushi while here if you’re into that, it’s definitely something Vancouver does right

Could give some recommendations but youll see one every 5 minutes just walking around

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Probably won't make it out to Toffino on this trip, but I will keep that in mind for future. We'll likely be sticking to the downtown area this time around.
I was being somewhat silly, but BC's long beach is beautiful. Quite a drive though. And a ferry, which is pricy.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Hey guys, Sharks fan here coming in peace (mostly). I'll be visiting the area Saint Paddy's day weekend with some friends to catch a road Sharks' game and to check out the Vancouver area. Any insight/suggestions you can provide would be much appreciated. Looking for the following:

-Seats - the sightlines are pretty good no matter where you are seated. The seats are over priced given the on-ice product. So just pick something that makes sense for your budget.

-Air Bnb would probably be the best. It is expensive no matter where you stay, though.

-Depends on what you are interested in. Walk/bike the Stanley Park seawall if the weather is nice, that's definitely a touristy thing to do. Go skiing/snowboarding/snowshoeing/hiking at any of the local mountains. Deep Cove for Honey's donuts and the Quarry Rock hike (it's very easy, like 40 mins) - but that is out of the way.

One of Vancouver's strong suits is its cuisine. Amazing asian food and sea food. Definitely try sushi here, and any other restaurants. The variety and quality of restaurants is one of the best parts of the city. Honestly just Google whatever type of food you are in the mood for and check out the reviews. There are far too many recommendations and options for me to type out here.

Tons of micro breweries have popped up lately as well. Doesn't really matter where, although East Vancouver is probably the best area to do brewery tours.

-Try to avoid the Downtown East-Side. It's not that dangerous or anything, but our homelessness, prostitution, and drug addiction epidemic is pretty jarring.

Reactions: Ryp37

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
In all honesty you're better off saving your money than wasting it at the arena. Literally everything is over priced. Parking? None unless you want to spend $25 minimum. Beer? $9. Food? Overpriced. However. if you must watch a game there I found lower bowl 6 rows above centre ice was a great view to watch the game.

-Vancouver has a lot of hotels so pick one you enjoy in the States and are comfortable with. Hilton is always a good choice but again there are so many hotels that your better off finding one you and your friends all like from the reviews. AirBNB? Yah we have that and if your friends are willing I'd use it. Cheaper than a hotel that's for sure.

-If you guys want a nice bar or whatever just walk down Granville street near the Stadium after the Canucks/Sharks game. The streets near Granville and the street itself has dozens of bars/clubs/restaurants so check them out. Yale town is like 10-15 taxi ride from Granville and is a little more mature crowd with a lot of bars/lounges here. Nice place to walk around also.

-Don't go to the Vancouver east side, it's the ghetto. Hastings is a dangerous street at dark so be wary. Also if you're rocked out in your Sharks jersey just go back to your hotel and change. Most people here don't care what you're dressed or what you're wearing but that 1 in 100 drunk idiot walking down Granville may say something stupid or if they're immature push you. Better off avoiding that crap altogether.

While I wouldn't recommend visitors go there, it's certainly not dangerous at pretty much any hour.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad