Sharks expand high school hockey

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by LadyStanley, Apr 1, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

Press release:

Four teams to twenty five in a decade - very good growth.

2. Evil Janney

Evil Janney Registered User

That truly is incredible news! :handclap:

I remember when I was in High School about 7 years ago in Cupertino, quite a few kids of the kids from my school were playing for the leagues. But, I never could have imagined High School hockey becoming this big in the bay area.

3. kdb209

kdb209 Registered User

Yet another example of a successful NHL franchise leading to the development of youth hockey in a non-traditional market - not the other way around.

4. HockeyH3aven

HockeyH3aven Registered User

The San Jose sharks are a model franchise when it comes to thriving in a non-traditional hockey market.

5. 9876

9876 Guest

This is awesome news.

I've always found it odd that we don't have a highschool system here in Vancouver.

6. Jeffrey93

Jeffrey93 Registered User

Just pointing this out.....I live in Ontario and High School hockey just recently came back near my hometown....thanks to local sponsors and some smart people on the school boards in the areas that revived it.

It used to be common....then Junior leagues took over. Now...and I might be wrong....if you are carded to play in a Junior league you are not eligible to play highschool hockey. So it gives every high-school in the area a weak Junior C team...basically.

Just thought I'd point out that the "Bay Area" isn't the only area growing in highschool hockey.....Southwestern Ontario is just starting to bring this back too. It's where I'm from...haven't been back in a while but from what I recall there hasn't been high-school hockey in about 50 years....and now there is. People have told me it is pretty well supported too.....which shouldn't really be a surprise.

7. Kimi

Kimi Registered User

The Ducks started doing something similar in OC a couple of years back, 2008 I think. They expanded to 5 teams in their high school league this season, and are planning on expanding more and building more rinks in the county. These are things that you can never fault teams on doing, I think Dallas have had a good program going on for a while too.

8. HabsByTheBay

HabsByTheBay Registered User

Not only are they high school teams, but a couple of them are West Catholic Athletic League teams, which is as good a high school league as you'll find in the country. If the WCAL schools, which have large and wealthy alumni bases, get into hockey that could really drive interest in the sport throughout the region.

9. jiggsawpuzzle35

jiggsawpuzzle35 Registered User

Soon hockey will be a CIF sanction sport and the OC schools will be dominating it.

10. BeachBolt

BeachBolt Registered User

Student
    The Lightning are also extremely involved in this...

Here is a recent news segment talking about how the Central Florida league is now up to 19 high school teams, and how they are trying to be sanctioned by the high school sports association down here so they won't just be club level anymore. I found it cool how the one kid says that the Cup run back in '04 had a lot to do with him deciding that he wanted to play.

http://www.baynews9.com/sports/vide...9.com/newsvideo/bhsn/highschool/HS_Hockey.f4v

Here is a link to the Florida high school hockey association...

http://fhsha.goalline.ca/

11. tarlinian

tarlinian Registered User

Student
    This is true, but as a WCAL alum I'd say that there's still a bit of a ways to go for that to happen. I graduated from Bellarmine in 2007, and hockey was no where close to any of the other sports (even more minor ones like track ) in terms of publicity. Part of this was because it didn't play traditional rivals, and the other part was because they didn't play on campus. Perhaps with some more expansion this will change.

12. spintheblackcircle

spintheblackcircle ...so that happened.

Home Page:
    Nah, once DeLaSalle gets into hockey, they will win championships; that's all that program does.

13. jiggsawpuzzle35

jiggsawpuzzle35 Registered User

Yeah but they gotta worry about schools like Mater Dei, Santa Margarita, and JSerra.

14. molsonmuscle360

molsonmuscle360 Registered User

The Sharks should be showing Bettman how some areas of the southern part of the country are ready for hockey and some aren't. San Jose has been one of the best run teams in sports since they entered the league. I wouldn't actually mind seeing them win the cup this year, their fans deserve one.

15. Pinkfloyd

Pinkfloyd Registered User

Government Employee
    I don't think there's any major area that isn't ready for hockey. I think it's simply a matter of running the ship properly. That's what the Sharks should show the struggling places. Show them exactly how to run a team and sell it to your base of customers. The Sharks weren't given all these fans. They had to earn it and did it with their playoff appearances early on and consistently showing their customers that they're going to compete. Atlanta and Phoenix's problems stem from this issue of being competitive.