Evander Kane contract termination/ bankruptcy omnithread

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
What a world it would be if people can’t get loans. He got a loan to invest and make money they helped him out.
Taking other people’s money and pissing it away does not make him a victim

I have no problem with loans. Borrowing money can be a great way for people to get an education, start a business, buy a home.

What I do have a problem with is predatory lenders.

Reactions: bigtim1988

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I have no problem with loans. Borrowing money can be a great way for people to get an education, start a business, buy a home.

He asked for money so he could invest and make money they didn’t find a guy And trick him into something and they didn’t cheat him he is a grown ass man.
I think you are confused as to what predatory lending is.

Kamaya Painters

Nov 8, 2018
Kane is a degenerate gambler who blew himself out and then started publicly shopping for bailout loans of course it won’t be private.

Degenerate or not, gambling is a disease. It needs treatment and isn't easy to recover from - especially if you get into a big hole.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

I'm no genius about this stuff but Kane himself shopped around for a loan. A lender looking at his balance sheet and wanting nothing to do with it? Not sure how that would be predatory lending.

Reactions: Subban signed e5

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Well if white people do it....

Point being people of all backgrounds do the exact same thing. You said "they must want him to pay back his debt because of his color". Race had nothing to do with it and you went out of your way to bring up race

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Haha, like I had previously said...If before you were born, someone offered you a path where you can make and spend 60 Million being a superstar from 20-32 years old, but then you have to get a regular job like regular Joe for 60-100K a year.

or you could just work like a regular Joe for your whole life..

What would you pick?

Why shame him? Sure he should be better with the cash, but you can always go back to being a regular Joe.... lol

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Exclusive: Sharks' Evander Kane on the relief of his bankruptcy being public and the challenges not being talked about

Paywall

Kane speaks. Lots of aspects he can't talk about regarding suit, but he talks about the relief of bankruptcy becoming public, and the mental issues he's been dealing with, not fitting in culturally in WPG, etc.

Not fitting in culturally in Winnipeg?

He's a born and raised Canadian, Winnipeg is one of the most diverse cities in the country. Also Winnipeg had like 5 black players on the roster during his years there.....no one else complained?

He didn't fit in because it was ALL ABOUT EVANDER. He was trying to be like PK Subban and market himself vs play hockey. Didn't work out for him and now he's bankrupt.

But it's not like he came from the slums, hes from a successful family and grew up in a nice area.

Culturally didn't fit in....come on.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

He's a born and raised Canadian, Winnipeg is one of the most diverse cities in the country. Also Winnipeg had like 5 black players on the roster during his years there.....no one else complained?

Just curious - who else was black on the team?

I know there was Kane, Byfuglien, and Oduya. But I can't think of any others.

Ah - I should have googled. Kenndal McArdle (for all of 9 games in 2011-2012) makes 4. And Oduya was traded at the deadline that first season. For the rest of Kaner's time with the Jets it was just him and Byfuglien, who pretty famously didn't get along despite sharing black heritage.

a6d0d71751d9a205cb82716679304438.jpg

Reactions: Pandemonia

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

He didn't fit in because it was ALL ABOUT EVANDER. He was trying to be like PK Subban and market himself vs play hockey. Didn't work out for him and now he's bankrupt.

But it's not like he came from the slums, hes from a successful family and grew up in a nice area.

Culturally didn't fit in....come on.

Please don't compare E.Kane to PK lol

PK has done tremendous stuff for the city of Montreal, children hospital etc (idk about his other teams but I would assume so). Sure, PK did build a brand for himself, but he's done good things.
He's also been a much better hockey player...

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Please don't compare E.Kane to PK lol

PK has done tremendous stuff for the city of Montreal, children hospital etc (idk about his other teams but I would assume so). Sure, PK did build a brand for himself, but he's done good things.
He's also been a much better hockey player...

Comparing in the sense he tried to brand himself more than focus on hockey. PK has done great things for Montreal but it was well known after his trade that the teammates pushed the trade as it was PK over the team in his mind.

Kane was much the same in Winnipeg, worried about his image and branding himself rather than the team and hockey, the team pushed him out to.

PK is obviously a better human being, but the comparison had nothing to do with their character.

Reactions: Dingo

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Also many WPG Blue Bombers have been/are black. Not to mention the Goldeyes. Not aware of any of those athletes complaining about racism issues systematic to the city

Reactions: Reaser

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Also many WPG Blue Bombers have been/are black. Not to mention the Goldeyes. Not aware of any of those athletes complaining about racism issues systematic to the city

If they did, how would that be perceived in Winnipeg?

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
If they did, how would that be perceived in Winnipeg?

I think it depends in the circumstances. With Kane, there was always questionable attitudes and perception about him even before there was any hint of him labeling us as a ant-black city. If enough respected people spoke up or honestly just 1, we would take note. Milt Stegal, a former black Winnipeg Blue Bomber is arguably the biggest Winnipeg Sports icon after Dale Hawerchuck. We named a street after him. He has never cited systematic racism specific to the city. Not saying it doesn't happen, but not overtly more often than Regina or Calgary or the average Canadian city. I would say there's more racist attitudes towards native people than there is with the black community.

Reactions: Fatass

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
I would say there's more racist attitudes towards native people than there is with the black community.
I have been to the city twice. I am part native ( I look like a "white native person". Think Johnny Galecki but darker, heavier, and higher check bones). The natives seemed to be the most racist towards me.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The smallest place you can buy in SJ is more than $500k. $3m is not a mega mansion.

For any curious on bankruptcy law:

One omitted detail in the tweet is it doesn’t tell us how much equity Kane owns in the house. For example the house could be valued at $3.0m but Kane could still have a large outstanding mortgage.

For example, a $2.5m mortgage balance would be $500k equity. Kane is filing Chapter 7 liquidation bankruptcy.

If the equity Kane holds in the house is greater than the determined Homestead Exception ($170k per the tweet) the bankruptcy trustee can sell the house ($3m) pay off the mortgage ($2,5m), pay the Homestead Exemption to Kane ($170k) and distribute the remaining proceeds to the bankruptcy creditors ($330k).

If the equity Kane holds in the house is less then the Homestead Exemption the trustee can’t sell the house and the mortgage remains in place.

Kanes lawyers appealing to increase the Homestead Exemption could be looking to put more money in Kane’s pocket and less in the creditors when the house is sold. Or could be trying to keep Kane’s ownership of the house out of bankruptcy.

Disclaimer: IANAL, any mistakes are my own

Reactions: nofehr

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Have to think Kane was on notice after suspension.

Could be contract termination will give him better result in bankruptcy case.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Have to think Kane was on notice after suspension.

Could be contract termination will give him better result in bankruptcy case.

Yep, if it was another player I'd say this could be strategic, but it's Kane, so probably just him being an idiot again.

Still, you've gotta think there will be plenty of teams that will still be interested in a guy who has averaged 25 goals per 82 games over the past decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad