GDT: Sharks Edition Free Agent Frenzy -or- Free Agent "Wait-5-hours-to-see-DW-sign-someone-we-don't-want"

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Eichel’s injury and Buffalo’s ask likely gutting our prospect pool, guessing DW immediately declined.
Yeah, but that is true of every team that has talked to them about Eichel. Which is why this ends with Buffalo ultimately admitting that they are getting trash for him, and the potential for DW to give an offer that is slightly better than trash.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Yeah, but that is true of every team that has talked to them about Eichel. Which is why this ends with Buffalo ultimately admitting that they are getting trash for him, and the potential for DW to give an offer that is slightly better than trash.

I think it’s going to be Vegas and then our only hope is that his head pops off during the first game of the playoffs…

Real talk, though, if he didn’t have this crazy injury I’d be all in, but I really don’t want another Karlsson situation. Let’s not be the team that’s got half its stars on crutches.

Reactions: teal

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I know everyone says that we had no ties to EK65 but that’s not actually true. There were rumors at the trade deadline that the Sharks had interest and a couple of weeks before we got him there was word.

There has been literally zero talk about Eichel and the Sharks. I’m sure he inquired but considering how many huge contracts we already have, Eichel’s injury and Buffalo’s ask likely gutting our prospect pool, guessing DW immediately declined.
Since when has our cap situation or gutting our prospect pool ever deterred DW from making a massive move??

Reactions: Jargon

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Eichel would be able to contribute up to par with his $10m cap hit. Plus BUF would want a package going back that would include 2022 1st, a veteran forward, Eklund, and an AHL prospect. DW would be right to use the dial tone as his reply.

Plus, Eichel wants to have an artificial disc placed in his neck to fix the herniated one. Has this ever be done in the NHL with the player returning to play?

Huge risks. Eichel's agent says the trade process is broken, but it's really his neck that is. Nobody want to trade a huge package until there is time to evaluate the results.
The artificial disc is being blown way out of proportion. There are several studies about people playing sports with it just fine, just no one in the NHL. Chris Weidman, a high level UFC guy and former champion has one and is still competing.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
The artificial disc is being blown way out of proportion. There are several studies about people playing sports with it just fine, just no one in the NHL. Chris Weidman, a high level UFC guy and former champion has one and is still competing.
He also said the surgery changed his life and he recovered way faster than he ever thought he would. He’s basically a spokesperson for this type of surgery.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
He also said the surgery changed his life and he recovered way faster than he ever thought he would. He’s basically a spokesperson for this type of surgery.
Here’s a quote from him. If I was Eichel, I’d be pushing for this surgery too. Fusion surgery permanently reduces your range of movement and that’s not something I’d want to deal with because my hockey team insisted on it at the old age of 24 years old.

“This was my 23rd surgery so I'm no stranger to surgery, but the idea of neck surgery scared the crap out of me. In the end though, it ended up being one of the easiest surgeries I’ve ever had, and it was very successful for me.”

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
A team dictating a man's health and surgery concerns is mind boggling to me.

Teams do have an interest in keeping players away from quacks, too. If I'm the owner of a sports team, and one of my stars wants to go to a chiropractor to "balance his energies" or something instead of getting a surgery the team doctors believe is necessary, I'm telling him to go to the surgeon and pay for the quack out of pocket.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
A team dictating a man's health and surgery concerns is mind boggling to me.
To them, he's just an asset. This view is probably what got them into the mess they are to begin with. They have had a lot of great players over the last 8 years and have done nothing of use

I feel bad for their fanbase because they do deserve some progress

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Teams do have an interest in keeping players away from quacks, too. If I'm the owner of a sports team, and one of my stars wants to go to a chiropractor to "balance his energies" or something instead of getting a surgery the team doctors believe is necessary, I'm telling him to go to the surgeon and pay for the quack out of pocket.
Tom Brady got his quack to be the unofficial team doctor haha.

This isn’t even remotely the same though. It’s a legit, proven surgery that other professional athletes have gotten done and are ecstatic about. I’m almost certain it comes down to the contract insurance won’t cover this procedure and the Pegulas don’t want to be out 50 million if it doesn’t work.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I know everyone says that we had no ties to EK65 but that’s not actually true. There were rumors at the trade deadline that the Sharks had interest and a couple of weeks before we got him there was word.

There has been literally zero talk about Eichel and the Sharks. I’m sure he inquired but considering how many huge contracts we already have, Eichel’s injury and Buffalo’s ask likely gutting our prospect pool, guessing DW immediately declined.
There was a rumor at the TDL about DW kicking tires but then nothing over the summer until right when he was traded.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Eichel can have any surgery if he really wants to. But if the surgery goes south he will lose his right to collect 10 million $ for the next five years since he broke his contract.

Would this not be the easiest way to get out of Buffalo then? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->