GDT: Sharks Edition Free Agent Frenzy -or- Free Agent "Wait-5-hours-to-see-DW-sign-someone-we-don't-want"

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I would rather trade Couture over Timo, I'm sure I'm not the only one. Couture having ties to the area is the only reason i see it happening, but still a long shot

Timo, Labanc, protected first and some combo of Wiesblatt/Merkeley and any other prospects that aren't Bordeleau or Eklund is cool

Someone would probably beat that though....
I'm honestly not sure someone would. It seems red flags continue to pop up around Eichel. Not saying his value is plummeting or anything, but I suspect some GMs are scared off by his health/surgery issues.

Reactions: Sandisfan

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I'm honestly not sure someone would. It seems red flags continue to pop up around Eichel. Not saying his value is plummeting or anything, but I suspect some GMs are scared off by his health/surgery issues.
DW should be as well. Thats alot to give up for a guy who's one hit away from being shut down for the season

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I think it's Hertl labanc a 1st and one prospect.

That's basically what he's going to get, whether it's from the sharks or someone else. If you can get it done with timo and keep Hertl, omg .

The problem is they want eukland. Plus, he might be a third line center at 10 mil for 5 years with a fubared neck

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I think it's Hertl labanc a 1st and one prospect.

That's basically what he's going to get, whether it's from the sharks or someone else. If you can get it done with timo and keep Hertl, omg .

The problem is they want eukland. Plus, he might be a third line center at 10 mil for 5 years with a fubared neck
I'd be totally fine if that was the package. It's a risk worth taking, but only if the prospect we're trading isn't Bordeleau or Eklund.

Edit: I'm sorry I misread that and thought it was Meier, not Hertl. I wouldn't want to trade Hertl.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Eichel for Hertl straight up. You take Hertls knees, we'll take Jacks kneck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Center is not a position of strength for the Sharks. They can't deal Hertl for Eichel. Getting Eichel means that Couture can finally move to the wing where he can be more successful. Plus, the Sharks have a million wings, so I'd move Meier and Labanc along with mid level prospects or a lottery protected first for Eichel.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Center is not a position of strength for the Sharks. They can't deal Hertl for Eichel. Getting Eichel means that Couture can finally move to the wing where he can be more successful. Plus, the Sharks have a million wings, so I'd move Meier and Labanc along with mid level prospects or a lottery protected first for Eichel.
I don't think they make a trade without na center going back

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Hertl & Merkley unless Hertl signs an extension which I doubt he does. Actually it would be awesome to do that trade then next off season resign Hertl and trade Captain Co-worker. :laugh:

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
There isn't any source for the Eichel-to-SJ rumor, right? Seeing a lot of this discussion...
Nope, mostly just speculation because it kinda fits.

It is a DW move, the team needs more centers, and Meier's AAV + open cap = Eichel's AAV...

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Yea. that letter was DW's bat signal
Eichel and Kane are good friends too FWIW.

Only reason I believe DW is in on it is because no one is talking about SJ and that’s when he strikes.

We have the cap if Timo goes the other way, we have the assets, we have the need.

I don’t think Buffalo does it if Eklund isn’t included though.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I have zero doubt in my mind DW has inquired about Eichel. With that being said, the fact that nothing has happened means one of two things to me, either Buffalo asked for Eklund or.....Buffalo has demanded Eklund....DW gave them a two word phrase that rhymes with puck cough .DIAL TONE...

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Was looking at guys who are still FA's. This is kinda off the radar but what about Chara? Hes 44, so a one yr deal before he retires wouldn't be a bad idea. Not sure how much he has in the tank but I'd imagine to still be in the league at his age, he takes care of his body. Excellent leadership qualities and would definitely help the younger guys in the room at all positions.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Was looking at guys who are still FA's. This is kinda off the radar but what about Chara? Hes 44, so a one yr deal before he retires wouldn't be a bad idea. Not sure how much he has in the tank but I'd imagine to still be in the league at his age, he takes care of his body. Excellent leadership qualities and would definitely help the younger guys in the room at all positions.
I think he has no interest going to West coast at this point.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I think he has no interest going to West coast at this point.
Yeah that definitely crossed my mind. Not a whole lotta options on D left in FA and DW is on record saying he likes our D corps as is. If we see any change in the depth chart I think its an internal addition so to speak. Hatakka, Merkley, Pasichnuk etc

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't think Eichel would be able to contribute up to par with his $10m cap hit. Plus BUF would want a package going back that would include 2022 1st, a veteran forward, Eklund, and an AHL prospect. DW would be right to use the dial tone as his reply.

Plus, Eichel wants to have an artificial disc placed in his neck to fix the herniated one. Has this ever be done in the NHL with the player returning to play?

Huge risks. Eichel's agent says the trade process is broken, but it's really his neck that is. Nobody want to trade a huge package until there is time to evaluate the results.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Maybe if DW agrees to his demand to be named captain

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Haven't heard anything about Marcus Sorensen but it looks like he had his most success when Pete DeBoer was coaching the Sharks. Is Las Vegas a likely landing spot or do the Knights have better options?

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I know everyone says that we had no ties to EK65 but that’s not actually true. There were rumors at the trade deadline that the Sharks had interest and a couple of weeks before we got him there was word.

There has been literally zero talk about Eichel and the Sharks. I’m sure he inquired but considering how many huge contracts we already have, Eichel’s injury and Buffalo’s ask likely gutting our prospect pool, guessing DW immediately declined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad