GDT: Sharks Edition Free Agent Frenzy -or- Free Agent "Wait-5-hours-to-see-DW-sign-someone-we-don't-want"

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sharks Projected Cap Space (via CapFriendly and extrapolated based on signings): ~$7m

Sharks Signings (confirmed signings link to their respective threads)
CONFIRMED: F Andrew Cogliano signed to a 1-year deal for $1m

CONFIRMED: F Nick Bonino signed to a 2-year deal for $2.05m per year

CONFIRMED: G James Reimer signed to a 2-year deal for $2.25m per year

CONFIRMED: F Lane Pederson acquired from Arizona for a 2024 4th, signed to 2-year deal for $750k per year

CONFIRMED:
F Nick Merkley signed to a 1 year deal for $750k

CONFIRMED: D Jaycob Megna re-signed to a 1 year deal for $750k

Sharks Free Agents

UFA
Lean Bergman (F) - Expected to sign in Germany
Ryan Donato (F)
Kurtis Gabriel (F) - Signed with Toronto (1 year @ $750k)
Fredrik Handemark (F)
Martin Jones (G) - Signed with Philadelphia (1 year @ $2m)
Maxim Letunov (F)
Patrick Marleau (F)
Greg Pateryn (D)
Marcus Sorensen (F)

RFA
Noah Gregor (F)
Adin Hill (G)

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Times like this I remember that the constant rumors and insider info that other fanbases have, that the Sharks lack, comes at the cost of often having your emotions jerked around for nothing. Are we really better off knowing DW tried to sign Scott Niedermayer? That he rejected a trade for Steve Zalewski? That he talked to Connor Sheary, made an offer to Finger, and "ghosted" Travis Moen?

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Times like this I remember that the constant rumors and insider info that other fanbases have, that the Sharks lack, comes at the cost of often having your emotions jerked around for nothing. Are we really better off knowing DW tried to sign Scott Niedermayer? That he rejected a trade for Steve Zalewski? That he talked to Connor Sheary, made an offer to Finger, and "ghosted" Travis Moen?
It is also nice to know that when our "insider" Kurz reports something that it is basically fact because we get so little that the few bits we do get come directly from the organization. We know Kurz hates the Sharks too much to be working the phones looking for intel.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
It is also nice to know that when our "insider" Kurz reports something that it is basically fact because we get so little that the few bits we do get come directly from the organization. We know Kurz hates the Sharks too much to be working the phones looking for intel.

Speaking of which, Bob mentioned us and Cogliano as reported by Kurz.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Bob speculating Cogliano and SJ. Also looks like the backup/tandem market is taking shape and still looking like one of Mrazek, Reimer, or Bernier are going to be our tandem guy.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
I think cogliano, a 3rd center, and a decent goaltending tandem will be just what the doctor ordered to keep us as an embarrassment on the ice, while maintaining the draft position of a team that is superior in both watchability and long-term outlook. Looks like we're gonna have to rely on stupid teams letting good players fall to picks 7-10 for the foreseeable future.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Any predictions we do today? Who's the worst goon on the market? Or goalie who's struggled the last 2 years that Doug thinks will rebound behind our defense?

Seriously tho, I'm thinking like a Halak and Brassard.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think cogliano, a 3rd center, and a decent goaltending tandem will be just what the doctor ordered to keep us as an embarrassment on the ice, while maintaining the draft position of a team that is superior in both watchability and long-term outlook. Looks like we're gonna have to rely on stupid teams letting good players fall to picks 7-10 for the foreseeable future.

Goalies are so hard to predict but I think Hill/Reimer behind our defense has the potential to be truly awful. Maybe not bad enough to compete with Buffalo, Arizona and Anaheim next season but probably bottom five depending on Detroit and Ottawa.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
It can't be overstated just how bad the goaltending has let us down, especially last year. From an xGF% standpoint, we should have been a playoff team last year and smack dab in the middle of the league at 15. That was with the issues in terms of being able to have camp in SJ, the long and uncertain roadtrip to start the year, and a roster lacking quality on the 3rd and 4th line. If you get goaltending and address those 3rd and 4th line issues then there's no reason to not be back in the thick of things in the division and back in the playoffs.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Any predictions we do today? Who's the worst goon on the market? Or goalie who's struggled the last 2 years that Doug thinks will rebound behind our defense?

Seriously tho, I'm thinking like a Halak and Brassard.
Thankfully COL already forked out a 4th rounder for the worst goon on the market in MacDermid. Halak is going to VAN. I think it'll be Bonino, Cogliano, and one of Bernier/Reimer/Mrazek.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Goalies are so hard to predict but I think Hill/Reimer behind our defense has the potential to be truly awful. Maybe not bad enough to compete with Buffalo, Arizona and Anaheim next season but probably bottom five depending on Detroit and Ottawa.
I don't disagree on Reimer, but there's nothing in this that says Hill should be worse behind our defense given what he played behind in Arizona. I also imagine that additions of quality defensively adept guys in the bottom 6 should also help tighten up some of the DZ issues, along with Ferraro taking another step forward. Karlsson is going to be Karlsson defensively, but hoping a better team has him more engaged in that end.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Are we really about to fork out big money on Cizikas? Hoping this is typical Toronto fodder in that they're in on everyone and that Bonino joins the ranks of players that have no interest of playing in Canada this year.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA

It can't be overstated just how bad the goaltending has let us down, especially last year. From an xGF% standpoint, we should have been a playoff team last year and smack dab in the middle of the league at 15. That was with the issues in terms of being able to have camp in SJ, the long and uncertain roadtrip to start the year, and a roster lacking quality on the 3rd and 4th line. If you get goaltending and address those 3rd and 4th line issues then there's no reason to not be back in the thick of things in the division and back in the playoffs.

Getting these 2 responses back to back is pretty hilarious to me.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don't disagree on Reimer, but there's nothing in this that says Hill should be worse behind our defense given what he played behind in Arizona. I also imagine that additions of quality defensively adept guys in the bottom 6 should also help tighten up some of the DZ issues, along with Ferraro taking another step forward. Karlsson is going to be Karlsson defensively, but hoping a better team has him more engaged in that end.

I think some of the public models (Natural Stat Trick, Moneypuck) might be overrating the difficulty of playing in Arizona. Everything I've heard from people who have access to some of the proprietary goalie/defense data suggests Tocchet's teams were stout defensively and created a relatively favorable environment for goalies. Not all high danger chances are created equal and it's probably safe to say Hill will face better shots on average in SJ than he did on the Coyotes. All that said it's hard to predict how a specific goalie will perform in a specific environment without digging in on the scouting side so hopefully Nabby did his job this time.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Goalie update

Vegas on the ropes so much they're trying to snake our goalie option... jk. Vegas feels like a fit for Brossoit moreso than Reimer just because Lehner is going to play a ton of games so they can get by with a true backup rather than a 1B type. I do worry what DW does if Reimer is off the market.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Getting these 2 responses back to back is pretty hilarious to me.
The goaltending has been league worst for basically 3 years. Even marginal improvement along with some regulation back to the mean in shooting percentage on high-danger chances (where we were bottom 3 in the league while being 4th in high danger chances) points to a significant turnaround being possible or even probable.

The more numbers you dig into the better the even strength system looks. Obviously have to now produce and some of that probably goes back to not having a certain caliber of player in a couple of spots throughout the lineup, but color me optimistic/excited for the season. I am ready to be hurt again, but also done enough research to not just be blindly throwing hope into the team because I feel the need to pump sunshine.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
The goaltending has been league worst for basically 3 years. Even marginal improvement along with some regulation back to the mean in shooting percentage on high-danger chances (where we were bottom 3 in the league while being 4th in high danger chances) points to a significant turnaround being possible or even probable.

The more numbers you dig into the better the even strength system looks. Obviously have to now produce and some of that probably goes back to not having a certain caliber of player in a couple of spots throughout the lineup, but color me optimistic/excited for the season. I am ready to be hurt again, but also done enough research to not just be blindly throwing hope into the team because I feel the need to pump sunshine.
Lol, you don't have to explain that to me. I was very early in the Jones needs to go movement. I just thought it was funny that one person explained why I'm wrong for being too optimistic after one person explained to me why I'm wrong for being too pessimistic.

I still like my 7th-10th pick estimate.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Even if he comes here and sucks, I would love to have Reimer back simply to get the Optimus Reim mask back.

james-reimers-optimus-reim-morphs-into-mechanical-shark-on-great-new-mask.webp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad