Claimed off Waivers: Sharks claim Michael Haley

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Those kinds of players don’t have a place in an NHL lineup and they don’t actually have an impact on a team’s physicality or toughness because they don’t play in the playoffs and they don’t play late in the game when the going gets rough.

And yet leading professionals keep going out and adding them to their lineups. HMMMMM. :laugh: I wonder why last years executive of the year would add these kinds of players. Doesn't he know according to JoeThorntonsRooster people like Mcleod and Haley don't have a place in an NHL lineup? Damn fools.

Reactions: Laus723

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Dillon's a tough man, that's true. But he's not Haley tough.

Calgary is notably soft too. There are even countless threads on this very board about Calgary adding toughness and grit at the deadline. Saying San Jose can bully the other noodle armed kid isn't saying anything.

Penalties do not equal toughness. They equal infractions.

Haley didn't play that series because he was dealing with an injury, likely in that Lucic fight. The whole series every analyst was saying they needed Haley in there because Kassian and Lucic were running the team over.

"(Sharks) can't allow the Oilers to keep running them," says San Jose insider

So you don’t care about what the players and the coach had to say, but you care about what analysts and fans had to say...

And again, Haley didn’t even play in that series! I don’t remember him having an injury, as he played more games after the Lucic fight. But either way, it just proves my point. Either, he got beat up so badly by the Oilers tough guy that he couldn’t even play hockey. Or he was kept out of the lineup because he was so bad at hockey.

Either way, if you consider the Oilers series to be one in which physicality led to the Oilers dominating the Sharks, it only says bad things about Haley.

From that same article:
  1. Oilers fans will remember Haley as the hard-as-nails brawler that Darnell Nurse had to face as payback for beating the living hell out of Roman Polak in a fight. But if Haley is going to do the heavy lifting for San Jose, he’s just one guy lined up against Kassian, Patrick Maroon, Milan Lucic, Adam Larsson, and Darnell Nurse. Haley already lost a fight against Milan Lucic in the last regular season game. He’s no nuclear deterrent.
  2. As for the notion that Haley will target Connor McDavid in retribution for Kassian going after Couture, well, anything is possible, but rarely have I seen such payback play out in a series. Usually the aggressor starts hammering, keeps hammering and unless there’s no immediate on-ice response to a major hit, it’s not going to happen. Indeed, that’s the difference on the Oilers this year, their willingness to immediately stand up for a teammate who gets hit hard. One of the major turning points of the year came when Kassian himself came to the defence of teammate Matt Hendricks after Hendricks got boarded by Oliver Ekman-Larsson of Arizona. OEL then crosschecked a prone Hendricks on the ice. Kassian levelled Ekman-Larsson — and became an instant Edmonton folk hero (replay here).

And yet leading professionals keep going out and adding them to their lineups. HMMMMM. :laugh: I wonder why last years executive of the year would add these kinds of players. Doesn't he know according to JoeThorntonsRooster people like Mcleod and Haley don't have a place in an NHL lineup? Damn fools.

And those leading professionals who decide to add players like Haley keep going out and losing.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
No, I don’t. I don’t like them risking injury but I do like to see guys like Meier proving they won’t be pushed around and that there’s a price to pay for trying to do that. That will have a bigger effect on a playoff series than a guy like Haley who will be in the press box eating popcorn every game.

Kane sitting in the box for 5 minutes means he misses 2-3 shifts and Radil or somebody else takes those. That’s way better than somebody like Haley playing 7 minutes. On top of that, let’s be real here; Kane is going to be taking those penalties either way. :laugh:
I agree about Kane and Meier and it’s good to see that they do those things. I’m not worried about the playoffs with Haley. Like you said he won’t play. I agree. Well unless he pulls a Fehr but I don’t see that happening. What I think this allows is Gambrell to fully develop. We saw what him playing the AHL this season did. When he first came up he wasn’t good. Now he looked like he belonged to an extent just not on the fourth. I think we will have to agree to disagree on this. While I don’t think this is a great move, I don’t believe it’s as big of a deal as you are making it.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
So you don’t care about what the players and the coach had to say, but you care about what analysts and fans had to say...

And again, Haley didn’t even play in that series! I don’t remember him having an injury, as he played more games after the Lucic fight. But either way, it just proves my point. Either, he got beat up so badly by the Oilers tough guy that he couldn’t even play hockey. Or he was kept out of the lineup because he was so bad at hockey.

Either way, if you consider the Oilers series to be one in which physicality led to the Oilers dominating the Sharks, it only says bad things about Haley.

And those leading professionals who decide to add players like Haley keep going out and losing.

I'm done with responding to you. You literally pull stuff out of nowhere to argue, and it's not just with this thread. You do it all the time. I could mention 1 word and you cling on to that even if it's irrelevant. Just because I mention one point of view in this case an analysts, doesn't mean I'm negating every other point of view. I've literally been preaching the point of view of the General Manager above fan view this entire time, you even mention it in this response lol, and you come to that conclusion in your opening paragraph. Have I mentioned anything about a DeBoer or a players opinion?

And yes, I do think one of the reasons the Oilers won that series was physicality, and unfortunately, Haley was hurt. If anything it showed what not having a physical presence does in certain situations and enforces the re-acquisition of Haley.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I agree about Kane and Meier and it’s good to see that they do those things. I’m not worried about the playoffs with Haley. Like you said he won’t play. I agree. Well unless he pulls a Fehr but I don’t see that happening. What I think this allows is Gambrell to fully develop. We saw what him playing the AHL this season did. When he first came up he wasn’t good. Now he looked like he belonged to an extent just not on the fourth. I think we will have to agree to disagree on this. While I don’t think this is a great move, I don’t believe it’s as big of a deal as you are making it.

I don’t really think it’s a big deal. We’re not the Panthers and we’re going to comfortably make the playoffs regardless of how many games Haley plays.

I just think it’s a small deal that is obviously bad. It’s like if I decide to light a $1 dollar bill on fire. Yeah, it’s not a big deal. But it’s totally obviously bad and didn’t need to be done.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Those kinds of players don’t have a place in an NHL lineup and they don’t actually have an impact on a team’s physicality or toughness because they don’t play late in the game when the going gets rough.

Setting a physical tone in the first period still matters. By your thinking, only the final five minutes of a hockey game matter. Interesting philosophy.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Setting a physical tone in the first period still matters. By your thinking, only the final five minutes of a hockey game matter. Interesting philosophy.

They don’t play in the playoffs either. Their physicality is not relevant unless they injure somebody and I’m not in favor of doing that.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
They don’t play in the playoffs either. Their physicality is not relevant unless they injure somebody and I’m not in favor of doing that.

Some do. Again they set a tone in a physical playoff series. Injuries aren’t the goal but they happen in a sport that allows high speed body checking.

If you think injuries are the only goal of body checking then do you think contact should be removed from hockey?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Totally disagree. Physicality has been a weakness, this team is severely lacking in grit. You need that alternative option come playoffs. If he's healthy I'm sure he'll pop up in the right matchups. Like against Nashville or Vegas.

Also...

He didn't get his ass kicked. He didn't win the fight, but you tell me one guy on the Sharks that would stand up to Luc or Reeves. Haley adds a different element that SJ does not have. And it's better to have that option than not.

To be quite honest, if you're standing up to Lucic or Reaves, you're playing their game and you've already lost. In the playoffs, you don't need to worry about standing up to those players. You just need to worry about outscoring them.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Some do. Again they set a tone in a physical playoff series. Injuries aren’t the goal but they happen in a sport that allows high speed body checking.

If you think injuries are the only goal of body checking then do you think contact should be removed from hockey?

Haley already specifically didn’t play in the playoffs in a very physical playoff series where I do believe the Sharks could have used a physical player or two. That’s how bad he is at hockey.

I don’t think think injuries are the only goal of body checking. I never said that so you can stop putting words in my mouth. I’m saying injuring players with dirty hits is the only way Haley could have an impact with physicality and I don’t want him doing that.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ya you really want your goal scorers breaking their hands or getting their bells rung. :sarcasm:

Or you just have those players ignore the fighting element and keep their heads up and play the game to win the game. The Sharks have no need to try and play any other game but putting the puck in to the other team's net more than they put the puck into ours. The physical element is about mental fortitude in the playoffs more than it is about playing tit-for-tat.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Toughness matters, especially when your team gets tossed around by the big boys as we saw last year in the playoffs. Notice how both Poile and Wilson prepare for Reeves and Vegas and any other potential physical issues with 2 lowkey pickups in Mcleod and Haley like a week apart from each other? It's a low cost move that could pay dividends in certain matchups. When emotions and tempers flare in a long playoff series, these guys earn their keep, especially on these softer lineups. The fact Poile added Mcleod who again is a worthwhile pickup for what he could provide for a pick vs. a claim is a feather in Wilson's cap.

Good post. Immediately thought of Poile and McLeod. Not just on ice, but also in dressing room and on bench.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Both Jumbo and DW said that Haley is a great teammate and loved in the room. Also said that a few of the guys kept in touch with him when he left and he loved being a Shark.

Reactions: Alaskanice

Prescottonian

Jan 17, 2016
Cheap insurance. Has a skill that Sharks organization lacks. Probably won’t play. Sharks have several wannabe 4th liners they can call up if more offense (or defense) is required.

I have let my “Fire Doug Wilson” club membership lapse.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Cheap insurance. Has a skill that Sharks organization lacks. Probably won’t play. Sharks have several wannabe 4th liners they can call up if more offense (or defense) is required.

I have let my “Fire Doug Wilson” club membership lapse.

What skill does he bring that the Sharks organization lacks?

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

From that same article:

Completely off topic but why the **** is Adam Larsson included on that list lol

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
Here's why he's back....
iu

Reactions: Groo

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Guy is a legend in Islanders land.

Paul Steigerwald: Adams basically says "you wanna start trouble, I will finish it for you"
Haley: Hold my beer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->