Claimed off Waivers: Sharks claim Michael Haley

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
One more thing that I want to add. Haley is a fantastic locker room guy. Now I doubt San Jose is really in need of another locker room guy but when someone becomes available for free, you take him.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Toughness matters, especially when your team gets tossed around by the big boys as we saw last year in the playoffs. Notice how both Poile and Wilson prepare for Reeves and Vegas and any other potential physical issues with 2 lowkey pickups in Mcleod and Haley like a week apart from each other? It's a low cost move that could pay dividends in certain matchups. When emotions and tempers flare in a long playoff series, these guys earn their keep, especially on these softer lineups. The fact Poile added Mcleod who again is a worthwhile pickup for what he could provide for a pick vs. a claim is a feather in Wilson's cap.
You make your team notably worse for the 4-5 minutes you have to sneak this guy on the ice.

I'm not above having toughness on your team, especially in the playoffs, but the skater needs to be able to play hockey.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I assume this is more to keep their younger players playing in the AHL instead of in the press box than it is about actually playing Haley or addressing their 4C.

Reactions: Gecklund

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He worked last time he was here. He is fine. You are making a big deal about a player that is going to play a maximum of 10 minutes per game and not even close to every game. Maybe this lights a fire under Goodrow because now there's the possibility of him sitting. Maybe now they can move Gambrell in a trade (since he is one of the few players that don't require waivers to go down and now they have their 13th forward).

Haley was not fine here. He played 58 games, scored all of 2 goals, was a train wreck defensively, and ultimately got beat up by Lucic and didn’t even dress in the playoffs against Edmonton.

Maybe this lights a fire under Goodrow because of the possibility of him sitting? Why? Goodrow already has guys sitting who deserve a spot over him. We just added a guy who actually doesn’t deserve a spot over him!

Reactions: Nizdizzle

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
San Jose hasn’t been “tossed around by big boys” at any point this season.

Haley won’t even play in the playoffs. And he would get his ass kicked by Reaves. Just like he got his ass kicked by Lucic in 2017 and then didn’t play a single playoff game against the Oilers.

Totally disagree. Physicality has been a weakness, this team is severely lacking in grit. You need that alternative option come playoffs. If he's healthy I'm sure he'll pop up in the right matchups. Like against Nashville or Vegas.

Also...

He didn't get his ass kicked. He didn't win the fight, but you tell me one guy on the Sharks that would stand up to Luc or Reeves. Haley adds a different element that SJ does not have. And it's better to have that option than not.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
You make your team notably worse for the 4-5 minutes you have to sneak this guy on the ice.

I'm not above having toughness on your team, especially in the playoffs, but the skater needs to be able to play hockey.

It's not about those 4-5 minutes he plays. It's about the 25 minutes Karlsson or anyone else on that team plays. He might be a sink, but what he provides when things get chippy is invaluable.

People like you keep talking about how worthless players like Haley or Mcleod are, and yet they are constantly sought after and acquired by top managers around the league. They play an important role, and smart teams are preparing for the eventuality that they might need that element in their lineup come playoffs. There's nothing wrong with it. I'd take Poile or Wilson's choice over some stat guys on the internet telling me he's a blackhole.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Haley was not fine here. He played 58 games, scored all of 2 goals, was a train wreck defensively, and ultimately got beat up by Lucic and didn’t even dress in the playoffs against Edmonton.

Maybe this lights a fire under Goodrow because of the possibility of him sitting? Why? Goodrow already has guys sitting who deserve a spot over him. We just added a guy who actually doesn’t deserve a spot over him!
And you would be wrong. Stats aren’t everything.

You would also be wrong about Goodrow.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Well, he’ll likely win more fights than Goodrow who seems to be our go to “go fight” guy for some reason.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Totally disagree. Physicality has been a weakness, this team is severely lacking in grit. You need that alternative option come playoffs. If he's healthy I'm sure he'll pop up in the right matchups. Like against Nashville or Vegas.

Also...

He didn't get his ass kicked. He didn't win the fight, but you tell me one guy on the Sharks that would stand up to Luc or Reeves. Haley adds a different element that SJ does not have. And it's better to have that option than not.

Dillon has fought Reaves and did better than Haley did there against Lucic.

On top of that, physicality is not at all a weakness and the team is not lacking grit. Did you not see them walk into Calgary and bully them into a 5-2 win in their own building? We have the 2nd leading player in PIMs.

And in a series like 2017 against Edmonton where I could actually see the argument that we needed a physical element, Haley was on the roster and didn’t even play a playoff game. Because he’s so bad at hockey that you can’t trust him to be on the ice for a playoff game.

Reactions: EON and Sandisfan

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
And you would be wrong. Stats aren’t everything.

You would also be wrong about Goodrow.

Wow, that’s a real great argument. :laugh:

Stats actually are everything, by the way. The objective of the game is to score more goals (a stat) than the other team. Points (a stat) are what determines if a team will make the playoffs.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Wow, that’s a real great argument. :laugh:

Stats actually are everything, by the way. The objective of the game is to score more goals (a stat) than the other team. Points (a stat) are what determines if a team will make the playoffs.
No stats aren’t. Considering you only brought up goals. So apparently Vlasic, EK, Donskoi, Thornton, Burns, etc. are all trash because they don’t have many goals this year. And Skinner, Kane, and Ovechkin are the best players in the NHL.

Reactions: Groo

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
No stats aren’t. Considering you only brought up goals. So apparently Vlasic, EK, Donskoi, Thornton, Burns, etc. are all trash because they don’t have many goals this year.

That’s one statistic to show just how bad he was. He is a forward who had 2 goals in 58 games as a Shark. He wasn’t a shut-down 4th liner who was great defensively - he was actually terrible defensively.

Those kinds of players don’t have a place in an NHL lineup and they don’t actually have an impact on a team’s physicality or toughness because they don’t play in the playoffs and they don’t play late in the game when the going gets rough.

The Sharks don’t have an issue with team toughness. They have players like Meier, Dillon, Kane, Thornton, and Burns who are great players that are also physical and can fight. The Wild tried to bully Meier by sticking Greg Pateryn on him and Meier busted him open. The Islanders tried to bully us and Burns body slammed Matt Martin. That’s the kind of physicality that you need and the Sharks absolutely have it. Haley won’t add to it at all.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
That’s one statistic to show just how bad he was. He is a forward who had 2 goals in 58 games as a Shark. He wasn’t a shut-down 4th liner who was great defensively - he was actually terrible defensively.

Those kinds of players don’t have a place in an NHL lineup and they don’t actually have an impact on a team’s physicality or toughness because they don’t play in the playoffs and they don’t play late in the game when the going gets rough.

The Sharks don’t have an issue with team toughness. They have players like Meier, Dillon, Kane, Thornton, and Burns who are great players that are also physical and can fight. The Wild tried to bully Meier by sticking Greg Pateryn on him and Meier busted him open. The Islanders tried to bully us and Burns body slammed Matt Martin. That’s the kind of physicality that you need and the Sharks absolutely have it. Haley won’t add to it at all.
Do you really want any of those players fighting and having to sit for 5 minutes? Cause I tried rationalizing it the same way but decided I’d rather have those players on the ice rather than getting involved in the extra curriculars. Also I’m not saying this is a good move because I just see it as a low risk, slightly higher than low reward. If he works fantastic. If he doesn’t then his contract is up st the end of the year and it allows Gambrell to play in the AHL rather than sit in the press box.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida

kane go take a 5 minute major to punch a goon.

said no one.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Do you really want any of those players fighting and having to sit for 5 minutes? Cause I tried rationalizing it the same way but decided I’d rather have those players on the ice rather than getting involved in the extra curriculars. Also I’m not saying this is a good move because I just see it as a low risk, slightly higher than low reward. If he works fantastic. If he doesn’t then his contract is up st the end of the year and it allows Gambrell to play in the AHL rather than sit in the press box.

No, I don’t. I don’t like them risking injury but I do like to see guys like Meier proving they won’t be pushed around and that there’s a price to pay for trying to do that. That will have a bigger effect on a playoff series than a guy like Haley who will be in the press box eating popcorn every game.

Kane sitting in the box for 5 minutes means he misses 2-3 shifts and Radil or somebody else takes those. That’s way better than somebody like Haley playing 7 minutes. On top of that, let’s be real here; Kane is going to be taking those penalties either way. :laugh:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Dillon has fought Reaves and did better than Haley did there against Lucic.

On top of that, physicality is not at all a weakness and the team is not lacking grit. Did you not see them walk into Calgary and bully them into a 5-2 win in their own building? We have the 2nd leading player in PIMs.

And in a series like 2017 against Edmonton where I could actually see the argument that we needed a physical element, Haley was on the roster and didn’t even play a playoff game. Because he’s so bad at hockey that you can’t trust him to be on the ice for a playoff game.

Dillon's a tough man, that's true. But he's not Haley tough.

Calgary is notably soft too. There are even countless threads on this very board about Calgary adding toughness and grit at the deadline. Saying San Jose can bully the other noodle armed kid isn't saying anything.

Penalties do not equal toughness. They equal infractions.

Haley didn't play that series because he was dealing with an injury, likely in that Lucic fight. The whole series every analyst was saying they needed Haley in there because Kassian and Lucic were running the team over.

"(Sharks) can't allow the Oilers to keep running them," says San Jose insider

Reactions: harv33173

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
No, I don’t. I don’t like them risking injury but I do like to see guys like Meier proving they won’t be pushed around and that there’s a price to pay for trying to do that. That will have a bigger effect on a playoff series than a guy like Haley who will be in the press box eating popcorn every game.

Kane sitting in the box for 5 minutes means he misses 2-3 shifts and Radil or somebody else takes those. That’s way better than somebody like Haley playing 7 minutes. On top of that, let’s be real here; Kane is going to be taking those penalties either way. :laugh:

Ya you really want your goal scorers breaking their hands or getting their bells rung. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad