GDT: Sharks @ Blues 5:00pm Adventure lineup take 2!

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I wonder if he is currently on the list of forwards that the Sharks will protect. I think he is working his way there.
Would be a Gambrell vs Balcers vs Dahlen debate. The other 6 are pretty set, barring a trade. Wonder if Gambrell as the local Seattle kid could be used with another sweetener to get a big contract off the books in the expansion draft. I.e. Gambrell+2022 2nd+Jones or Vlasic (if you could get him to waive) for a bag of pucks. It would stink to give up the first homegrown center since Hertl/Couture, but the cap/roster relief from moving either of Jones or Vlasic would be worth it potentially.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Would be a Gambrell vs Balcers vs Dahlen debate. The other 6 are pretty set, barring a trade. Wonder if Gambrell as the local Seattle kid could be used with another sweetener to get a big contract off the books in the expansion draft. I.e. Gambrell+2022 2nd+Jones or Vlasic (if you could get him to waive) for a bag of pucks. It would stink to give up the first homegrown center since Hertl/Couture, but the cap/roster relief from moving either of Jones or Vlasic would be worth it potentially.

I'd be much sadder about losing a second round pick. Gambrell's fine as a fourth line player, but I'd absolutely be happy dumping a #12 forward to get rid of a major anchor contract. I don't think it happens, though.

Reactions: themelkman

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd be much sadder about losing a second round pick. Gambrell's fine as a fourth line player, but I'd absolutely be happy dumping a #12 forward to get rid of a major anchor contract. I don't think it happens, though.

Yeah, we're looking at Meier or Labanc to get Seattle to take Jones honestly. It's a value judgment on whether you'd do it or not but that's probably what it takes. Gambrell is getting better and I think can be a solid 3C option for them for a while but he doesn't carry the sort of value that would lead me to believe that Seattle would think it's worth taking on three years at 5.75 mil for a bad goalie.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Gambrell has been good but doubt he is good enough to entice the Kraken into picking Jones, let alone Vlasic.

Edit: Looks like PF beat me to it

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Gambrell has been good but doubt he is good enough to entice the Kraken into picking Jones, let alone Vlasic.

Edit: Looks like PF beat me to it

IIRC Gambrell is from Kent/South Sound area. That could count for something if the Kraken want a hometown player. But, I agree his value would mostly be based on performance/potential.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Yeah, we're looking at Meier or Labanc to get Seattle to take Jones honestly. It's a value judgment on whether you'd do it or not but that's probably what it takes. Gambrell is getting better and I think can be a solid 3C option for them for a while but he doesn't carry the sort of value that would lead me to believe that Seattle would think it's worth taking on three years at 5.75 mil for a bad goalie.
I agree here. And if we are rebuilding it's Vlassic or nothing. No point in paying young assets to get rid of Jones.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I still think the sharks protect Dahlen but who really knows. Its so hard to tell what they view him as and we wont see him in the NHL this year.
I dont get why you would protect someone playing overseas in a subpar league that is not working on improving his game against better players.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
The Sharks have seemed to be quicker in all zones these last two games.

A passing observation is that in 2020 and the last 2 games, they play faster without Karlsson (and maybe Simek). They seem to let puck play go up and down the ice.

It seems that when they have all of their vaunted offensive defense, they try to turn their 5v5 offense into a powerplay. So, instead of Joe Thornton offensive zone possession dominance, it's something of a 200 ft possession offense with Burns/Karlsson/Ferraro/Simek as the PP QBs. That might explain why the regular offensive rhythm is slower and more deliberate from breakout to shot. It looks like they're trying to thread the needle clearing/breaking out, entering the zone, and setting up shots. (I'd prefer to see them focus more on a fluid 2-way game)

Reactions: hockeyCEO

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
IIRC Gambrell is from Kent/South Sound area. That could count for something if the Kraken want a hometown player. But, I agree his value would mostly be based on performance/potential.
You are correct. He is from Bonney Lake.

He would definitely be someone the Kraken would be interested in if he was free. But with the baggage of Jones or Vlasic. Hell no.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You are correct. He is from Bonney Lake.

He would definitely be someone the Kraken would be interested in if he was free. But with the baggage of Jones or Vlasic. Hell no.

Yeah, if DW goes with how he handled it previously, I'd expect one of Gambrell, Balcers, or Dahlen to be taken. Dahlen will definitely be made available. They're not going to protect him over Gambrell and Balcers showing themselves as capable depth players.

Reactions: hockeyCEO

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah, if DW goes with how he handled it previously, I'd expect one of Gambrell, Balcers, or Dahlen to be taken. Dahlen will definitely be made available. They're not going to protect him over Gambrell and Balcers showing themselves as capable depth players.

I am not privy to what talks are going on between DW and Dahlen's camp but they probably have a real good idea on what Dahlen's intentions are with regards to coming to NA. But unless they are convinced that he is coming here next season, I would just cut ties with him.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
As you all know, I've been a big critic of Jones the last couple of seasons including this one. But in an effort of fairness I think he has played very well the last two games. I hope he can have this level of play on a consistent basis.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
I am not privy to what talks are going on between DW and Dahlen's camp but they probably have a real good idea on what Dahlen's intentions are with regards to coming to NA. But unless they are convinced that he is coming here next season, I would just cut ties with him.
Even if he's "coming over" next season, what indication has he given that he'd be coming over to play in the NHL? At 23, his entire North American career is 35 points in 59 AHL games. His point production in the Allsvenskan is about the same as Marcus Sorensen's was during the shutdown. If he comes over next year, it will be to play for the Barracuda, and I can't think of a good reason to protect a guy who "might maybe potentially play for the AHL team next year if nobody's mean to him" over either of Balcers or Gambrell, who have made concrete strides to become NHL regulars. I'd vote we skip to the end of your post, and just cut ties and wish him well in Sweden.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Even if he's "coming over" next season, what indication has he given that he'd be coming over to play in the NHL? At 23, his entire North American career is 35 points in 59 AHL games. His point production in the Allsvenskan is about the same as Marcus Sorensen's was during the shutdown.

As a general rule, you shouldn't compare one player's production to another player's production with the implication that the two are necessarily linked and will track each other over time and across different competitive environments.

Dahlen's production in the Allsvenskan over the last two years compares, in the aggregate, to players who were 35-40 point players in the NHL at age 25-27. That doesn't mean Dahlen will hit those totals - it simply means he has been producing like a group of players who, when averaged, wound up producing at that rate in the NHL. Some of them never made it, and others turned into top-six forwards. We're pretty sure Dahlen has the talent to be the latter, but there are serious question marks as to whether he has the mental fortitude to do so.

Honestly, if Dahlen turns into a Sorensen - a bit of a tweener who turns in one good top-nine season - it's a success.

Given that Gambrell's ceiling is basically now - a 4C on a good team - I'd rather protect the guy who at least has upside. Balcers may have passed both, though.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
As a general rule, you shouldn't compare one player's production to another player's production with the implication that the two are necessarily linked and will track each other over time and across different competitive environments.

Dahlen's production in the Allsvenskan over the last two years compares, in the aggregate, to players who were 35-40 point players in the NHL at age 25-27. That doesn't mean Dahlen will hit those totals - it simply means he has been producing like a group of players who, when averaged, wound up producing at that rate in the NHL. Some of them never made it, and others turned into top-six forwards. We're pretty sure Dahlen has the talent to be the latter, but there are serious question marks as to whether he has the mental fortitude to do so.

Honestly, if Dahlen turns into a Sorensen - a bit of a tweener who turns in one good top-nine season - it's a success.

Given that Gambrell's ceiling is basically now - a 4C on a good team - I'd rather protect the guy who at least has upside. Balcers may have passed both, though.
Sure, and it's not so much that I'm comparing Dahlen directly to Sorensen. Rather, I'm pointing out that the justification for protecting Dahlen amounts to a bird in the bush, with a range of possibilities that spans from "top-6 forward" to "guy who was healthy scratched for not making a bottom-3 NHL roster better." And we have a direct comparison with the latter.

Similarly, Gambrell's AHL numbers are better than Dahlen's, and even if you can't make a 1:1:1 comparison, the multiplicity of data points don't point to him being a stud in waiting. All three guys not named Dahlen in the conversation are currently playing in the NHL. If I'm a GM, there's no way in the world I'm risking losing an actual, right-now NHL player in favor of an unknown quantity who just took the C for an Allsvenskan team two hours from home and hasn't showed any interest in coming across.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I missed yesterdays game but based on score alone seems like the team did better.

How did they look? Any standouts last game?
The young guys seemed to find their confidence. If you can go watch the 2nd half of the 1st and then basically the rest of the game it's pretty entertaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad