Sharks Biggest Draft Booms and Busts Since 2000

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
It looks like this is a series for each team, and they needed some limitation for other teams, so they are not having to talk about picks from the 60's no one knows. So it is irrelevant for the Sharks, but makes sense for other teams.
I know why they did it but considering the ages of the youngest franchises they could have looked at a longer time. Frankly it was lazy because there would have been some really interesting picks from earlier in the older franchises. The fact they didn't even get the Sharks worst draft bust right from the era they chose only proves they were lazy. Petrecki is hands down now that I look at it more. Wishart at least played a bunch of minor hockey. Petrecki quickly rode the pine in the AHL, then ECHL then pretty much done.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Honestly Fat Balloon wasn't even in the top 5 as far as busts. Dude at least scored goals and played for a number of years in the league. His first 3 seasons with the Sharks were solid if not spectacular. played 12 years in the league. Plenty of Sharks 1st rounders never even made the show or only played a handful of games.

Teemu Riihijarvi was the worst all time and it ain't even close. Highest pick that never even played in the NHL. So bad Hockey-Reference doesn't even have a page for him.

The best ever has to be Nabby. Drafted in the 9th round. Rookie of the year, solidified the goaltending position for the most part for a decade.
Lulz I think I remember even the draft coverage analysts being like "Eh... Who?" at the Riihijarvi pick and me think "oh no..." Lol

I love the name though would've def bought a jersey if he ever actually made the team and played some games

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Lulz I think I remember even the draft coverage analysts being like "Eh... Who?" at the Riihijarvi pick and me think "oh no..." Lol

I love the name though would've def bought a jersey if he ever actually made the team and played some games
That was the all Finnish draft. Pretty sure they got Kipper out of it so I guess not all bad. But yeah that first pick was a doozy...

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Toskala too.
Oh yeah I forgot! I think there was a skater who made the NHL too for a little while but I may be wrong. Not too terrible that they got Toskala and eventually Vlasic due to that draft.

EDIT: Nope, just Kipper and Toskala. Toskala was the higher pick which I didn't remember. Considering it was a 9 round draft and the sharks had multiple picks in a couple rounds that is pretty awful. Looks like all but two were Finnish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad