Sharks Biggest Draft Booms and Busts Since 2000

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
As the 2020 NHL Entry Draft approaches, we decided to examine each team’s best and worst pick since the 2000 NHL Entry Draft. The biggest boom is a player that had the best value relative to where they were selected. Meaning, no one in the first round will be considered a team’s best value pick. However, the biggest bust picks will almost always be in the first round. We will examine each player, why they were picked where they were, and what their NHL career was like. Today, the San Jose Sharks Draft Boom and their Draft Bust.

Our Article is Here
San Jose Sharks Biggest Draft Boom and Bust Since 2000 - LWOH

Here is a taste with an HM

Ryane Clowe

Ryane Clowe (sixth round, 175th overall in 2001): Clowe was an impressive offensive contributor during his time with the Sharks, cracking the 50-point plateau multiple times. That’s certainly a lot to ask for a sixth-round pick. The organization certainly squeezed all the possible value out of him. However, injuries quickly derailed his career after he left San Jose. Quite frankly, he was just never the producer or two-way player that our top pick was.

Reactions: Sandisfan

sharkbyte

May 10, 2020
Orange, CA
I have fond memories of Clowe. Was really a key player on those 2008-2011 teams that won 4 straight division titles. Guy was good for 55-60 points, scored goals, made plays, hit, fought, scored in the shootout. It's really a shame the concussions derailed his career. I was so sad to see him leave in 2013.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I have fond memories of Clowe. Was really a key player on those 2008-2011 teams that won 4 straight division titles. Guy was good for 55-60 points, scored goals, made plays, hit, fought, scored in the shootout. It's really a shame the concussions derailed his career. I was so sad to see him leave in 2013.
Also, that was during Thornton's prime. It was always amusing to see them use the same tactics and size to zone other players of the puck while they adjusted their body around it to set up plays along the boards.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
As the 2020 NHL Entry Draft approaches, we decided to examine each team’s best and worst pick since the 2000 NHL Entry Draft. The biggest boom is a player that had the best value relative to where they were selected. Meaning, no one in the first round will be considered a team’s best value pick. However, the biggest bust picks will almost always be in the first round. We will examine each player, why they were picked where they were, and what their NHL career was like. Today, the San Jose Sharks Draft Boom and their Draft Bust.

Our Article is Here
San Jose Sharks Biggest Draft Boom and Bust Since 2000 - LWOH

Here is a taste with an HM

Ryane Clowe

Ryane Clowe (sixth round, 175th overall in 2001): Clowe was an impressive offensive contributor during his time with the Sharks, cracking the 50-point plateau multiple times. That’s certainly a lot to ask for a sixth-round pick. The organization certainly squeezed all the possible value out of him. However, injuries quickly derailed his career after he left San Jose. Quite frankly, he was just never the producer or two-way player that our top pick was.

I wonder who that could be.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Thomas Plihal, Lukas Kaspar..

I mean wasn’t Plihal was a 5th rounder? Not too much of a disappointment there.

Trading up to 16th overall to take Wishart was pretty bad considering we could have just snagged Giroux at 20. At least we got Boyle out of it

RussianShark

Cheech
Mar 15, 2009
Bay Area
Josh Hennessey two picks before Patrice Bergeron in 2003...

I don't know what the discussion was at the time... they were probably similarly-tiered players but Bergeron had only played his rookie season and already looked like a clutch playmaker. I just hope they didn't pass him up for some dumb reason like being "too French".

But the hockey gods giveth and taketh, so Pavelski is drafted five rounds later.

Once teams started finding out the USHL was legit competition (thanks largely to the US national development team) a player like Pavelski wouldn't have fallen that far. His fore-checking prowless was already noted. He always has been skilled in cornering defense, it's like a figure-8 skating motion while keeping his stick in passing lanes.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I mean wasn’t Plihal was a 5th rounder? Not too much of a disappointment there.

Trading up to 16th overall to take Wishart was pretty bad considering we could have just snagged Giroux at 20. At least we got Boyle out of it
My bad I slipped on that one. Don't know why I thought Plihal was a 1st or 2nd rounder.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

I don't know what the discussion was at the time... they were probably similarly-tiered players but Bergeron had only played his rookie season and already looked like a clutch playmaker. I just hope they didn't pass him up for some dumb reason like being "too French".

Looking at their numbers, it might have been simply that Hennesey had better numbers than Bergeron in his draft year. They were ranked pretty close to each other IIRC; at the time of the draft no one was talking about how the Sharks missed out...

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

But the hockey gods giveth and taketh, so Pavelski is drafted five rounds later.

Once teams started finding out the USHL was legit competition (thanks largely to the US national development team) a player like Pavelski wouldn't have fallen that far. His fore-checking prowless was already noted. He always has been skilled in cornering defense, it's like a figure-8 skating motion while keeping his stick in passing lanes.
The big sliders at the time were Dan Fritsche (10th ranked NA skater), Patrick O'Sullivan (14th ranked NA skater) and Evgeny Tunik (8th ranked European skater). I would assume most would have been more upset at not taking Fritsche. He ended up going one pick after Bergeron. I'm sure that was seen as the big win of the 2nd round at the time.

Reactions: RussianShark

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
The biggest bust draft pick by the Sharks was their first ever. Pat Falloon selected 2nd overall just ahead of Scott Neidermayer.

Their best draft pick was Pavelski in the 7th round.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The big sliders at the time were Dan Fritsche (10th ranked NA skater), Patrick O'Sullivan (14th ranked NA skater) and Evgeny Tunik (8th ranked European skater). I would assume most would have been more upset at not taking Fritsche. He ended up going one pick after Bergeron. I'm sure that was seen as the big win of the 2nd round at the time.

I remember the craziness over O’Sullivan...

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Micro Mueller wasn’t a great pick considering he was a first rounder
I hated this pick the moment it was made and then having Detroit select a high potential goal scorer like Mantha with our pick was even worse. To think the sharks had their first and 3! Seconds only to leave the draft with Mirco Mueller, Gabryel Paquin-Boudreau and Tyler Kennedy was an absolute fail

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Also, that was during Thornton's prime. It was always amusing to see them use the same tactics and size to zone other players of the puck while they adjusted their body around it to set up plays along the boards.
Clowes game made a dramatic shift once Jumbo got to SJ. He clearly saw some stuff he could emulate in Jumbos game. I'm betting he spent a great deal of time watching Jumbo and picking his brain about what he likes to do.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The biggest bust draft pick by the Sharks was their first ever. Pat Falloon selected 2nd overall just ahead of Scott Neidermayer.

Honestly Fat Balloon wasn't even in the top 5 as far as busts. Dude at least scored goals and played for a number of years in the league. His first 3 seasons with the Sharks were solid if not spectacular. played 12 years in the league. Plenty of Sharks 1st rounders never even made the show or only played a handful of games.

Teemu Riihijarvi was the worst all time and it ain't even close. Highest pick that never even played in the NHL. So bad Hockey-Reference doesn't even have a page for him.

The best ever has to be Nabby. Drafted in the 9th round. Rookie of the year, solidified the goaltending position for the most part for a decade.

Last edited:

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

Forsberg was 6th too. I think trading the 2nd overall pick two years later passing on Pronger was worse. But the thought of having Neidermayer/Forsberg and Pronger along with Nolan in the 90’s under Sutter would have been fun.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Yeah the limitation on years was odd. Petrecki was clearly worse than Wishart even with the difference in draft position.
It looks like this is a series for each team, and they needed some limitation for other teams, so they are not having to talk about picks from the 60's no one knows. So it is irrelevant for the Sharks, but makes sense for other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad