GDT: Sharks at home, watched at home. *HOME OPENER* VGK @ SJ | 1pm PT

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Or, he has been invoking injuries, many of which better players skate through, to rationalize just not being very good. Orr was a better player without knees than Karlsson ever was. If they had modern knee replacements back when Orr played - my goodness I would have loved to see him play another 4 or 5 years.
You can't play NHL hockey with replaced knees. Even with todays technology. I get the sentiment just wanted to clarify. When you have you knee replaced the tell you you can never play contact again. So rec league players can do it and take the risk but no NHL or even minor league team is going to take the risk in a full contact league. The wrong collision and you could lose the leg from from the mid thigh.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Disappointment doesn't quite describe how I feel towards the Sharks, but still I'm going to try hard and take an objective stance on the Simek injury.

Before that sequence, it had been a more physical game, so Simek had already absorbed some contact. The Smith hit might've jolted Simek a bit too, so he could have been fuzzy headed - enough that he wasn't aware enough to brace for the Marchessault hit. After that hit, he was woozy but continued play. And with the cross check, that might have been something he would normally brace against if his head was in the right place.

And to give some leeway, it may be that the refs and players didn't know how concussed Simek was because play continued on. This is kind of like knowing if a boxer/MMA fighter is still mentally in the fight. If not, there could be a serious injury because the fighter can't properly defend a strike. Unfortunately, that might be what happened to Simek. And tragically Marchessault and others did not realize it and played as if Simek wasn't vulnerable.

Trying to hold my tongue, I would say the response was unacceptable and three people for sure carry the blame: Boughner, Couture, Gabriel.

Maybe no one knew how woozy Simek was, so there's a pass for why there was no immediate response or a response in the ensuing shifts. However, any of those three SHOULD have tried to find out what happened during INT2. To check up on Simek's status and check the replay. Obviously, NHLers are still pros and many know each other, so the response should not have been to injure Marchessault. But, there should have been a "check yourself" response to Marchessault and/or his line.

Boughner could have used that as a culture-building moment: "Simek got injured while fighting alone. For the rest of the game, we fight together and everyone will finish checks on the Marchessault line." Or Couture could have spoken up, told Boughner to put his line against Marchessault ASAP, and he would personally finish checks, even if a bit late. Or Gabriel could have taken matters into his own hands and gone after Reaves (whether he wanted to dance or not). I'm not sure that Couture or Gabriel did anything at all in the 3rd.

But, a bonus star goes to Meier and Kane for giving the Marchessault line some attention in the 3rd. I hope not, but I get the feeling they went rogue. That wouldn't be good for locker room culture knowing that a co-worker got injured and leadership failed to do anything meaningful.

EDIT: And the entire front office should be cleared, including the computers with their data. Having a lightweight roster play a physical style against a heavyweight roster is insanity. That's how you end up with Simek injured and Vlasic/Sorensen slow. If they want a physical style, they should acquire big bodies.
I was pretty surprised Meier went after Marchasshole after the Hertl goal. I would really like to see Meier develop a bigger nasty streak. Hit guys with the intent to hurt them (not cheap, just hard). The guy skates well enough and is built like a tank. Maybe the occasional charging penalty would help him instill some fear on the other team. Especially against the little quick guys. Punish those puny f***ers.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Can we shoot Curtis Gabriel into the goddamned sun? He had one f***ing job on the team. The 3 - 1 loss is one thing. But, watching Simek get worked by that little turd Marchassault and having no real response is disheartening. If the guys aren't going to play for each other and stick up for each other then this team is shit, the culture of the team is shit.

The entire organization needs a good flushing. :soap:

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Can we shoot Curtis Gabriel into the goddamned sun? He had one f***ing job on the team. The 3 - 1 loss is one thing. But, watching Simek get worked by that little turd Marchassault and having no real response is disheartening. If the guys aren't going to play for each other and stick up for each other then this team is shit, the culture of the team is shit.

The entire organization needs a good flushing. :soap:

From eyeballing it, I think in the 3rd Gabriel had something like one hit and one half-hearted cross check after the whistle.

I think he was saving his energy for defending social causes on twitter. :sarcasm: Which is fine, so no disrespect to him there. Just would've been cool to do the job on the ice too.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
From eyeballing it, I think in the 3rd Gabriel had something like one hit and one half-hearted cross check after the whistle.

I think he was saving his energy for defending social causes on twitter. :sarcasm: Which is fine, so no disrespect to him there. Just would've been cool to do the job on the ice too.
My bet it was Couture telling the guys not to take any unnecessary penalties because Vegas PP was the only thing winning the game to that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->