Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Jonathan Dahlen for Linus Karlsson

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Hopefully that is the only Karlsson to leave any time soon.

Heard a lot of Dahlen in the past. Ulf's son, right?

This is a very good trade, congratulations, yes, son of Ulf Dahlén.

Not really sure I'm following the logic from Canucks on this one, reminding me of Senators trading Swedish talents. ;-)

Edit: Oh, Jonathan and/or his agent actually asked for a trade, very interesting, this explains everything.

In Swedish (you will have to run it through google translator).
Vancouvers sågning – efter att Jonathan Dahlén begärt att få lämna klubben

Last edited:

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

Thank you for posting this. I wouldn’t have viewed it otherwise and I like what he had to say.
He’s articulate in the way that Erik Karlsson is. I appreciate the way he talks about not getting a free pass. It shows character.
I watched the game and concluded that he’s more of a cerebral player, in the vein of Larionov and Pavelski.
Welcome to the organization Jonathan!

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
That's just marketing crap speak by Dalhin. I'm not knocking Dalhin because they are coached and expected to tow the marketing line that everything is great.

Go check out his answers in the local Swedish media. Looks like he had issues with the coaching staff on the role they wanted him to play, versus what he wanted.

I think he has a vision of being a 1st line forward in the NHL some day, and doesn't want to be permanently labeled as a bottom-6 one. He viewed that staying in Utica would likely result in that outcome.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I think he has a vision of being a 1st line forward in the NHL some day, and doesn't want to be permanently labeled as a bottom-6 one. He viewed that staying in Utica would likely result in that outcome.
Thats not a bad vision to have but at some point it will register that hes not skilled enough for that, or maybe he will just grind it out

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: How Golden Knights won the Mark Stone sweepstakes - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman on the Vancouver/Dahlen "he-said/he-said" situation

I don’t presume to know who is right and who is wrong in this Vancouver/Jonathan Dahlen “he said, she said” situation — although, as with any breakup, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Prior to William Nylander’s signing deadline on Dec. 1, the Canucks made an eleventh-hour attempt to get him. Dahlen was included in the package, although I’m not sure what else was there. The Maple Leafs — who preferred to sign Nylander — said no. It’s interesting that San Jose was the team who got him. The Sharks are unafraid to go after anyone if they see talent. They aren’t going to worry about what happened in Utica.

Also includes audio clip of discussion of Dahlen wanting out.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Apparently Canucks fans bombarded Dahlen with tons of hateful messages on Twitter and Instagram. He ended up having to shut down all his social media.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
A fast translate of some of the text on Expressen about Utica.
" They have treated mig in a way that dont make me better as a player or developed me. They have the wrong aproach , and thats what i have said to the agent, if they want me to grow as a player they are doing it the wrong way. It is fantastic players and captains on the team , the guys are wonderfull, but is the way they try to develope young players (thats not ok). It has had the wrong effect on me. I have been trampled down instead of uplifted. So instead of being a better player i have gotten worse. Not being able to do anything offensive without being afraid of being benched for every little misstake."

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I think people forget, although these guys are athletes, they are just normal guys. Hoping this guy carves out a career for himself.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
For as much crap as some of give Sommer he seems to have a pretty good record for helping turn late round picks into NHLers.
It's pretty hard to tell why a prospect fails, we gave Sommer a lot of crap cuz we put a lot of blame on him for not being able to develop players but he really didn't have much to work with when guys like Mashinter were the best we let him have. In a similar vein, maybe the guys in Utica deserve the benefit of the doubt but they've done even less than Sommer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->