Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Jonathan Dahlen for Linus Karlsson

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I follow Allsvenskan and I wouldn't be surprised if Karlsson never plays a game in the NHL.

Dahlen has underwhelmed a bit in the AHL so far, and I haven't watched him since leaving, but his previous track record says he should become at least a bottom six regular sooner or later. Good trade for the Sharks.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Pronman: Top 100 NHL prospects entering the 2018-19 season

Dahlen was an honorable mention on Corey Pronman's top-100 prospects list. The only Sharks prospects who made the top-100 were Merkley and Chmelevski and no other Sharks prospects were included in the honorable mentions.

NHL farm system rankings: No. 2 Vancouver Canucks

In Vancouver's 2nd ranked system, Dahlen was the ranked 7th, as a "legit NHL prospect".

7. Jonathan Dahlen, LW, Timra-Allsvenskan

Dahlen’s third season in the Allsvenskan division went very well, as he was named MVP of the league and led Timra to a promotion to the top division. Dahlen is a talented scorer, who is very dangerous inside the offensive blueline. He’s got great hands, and is a very intelligent playmaker. He can make a lot of skilled plays, but Dahlen is also known for his shot, and can finish chances from a distance. He could use some more speed though, especially for a smaller player. Dahlen works hard, but he’s small and I have some concerns over how well he’ll win battles in the NHL.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
The first hat trick I ever saw live was Ulf Dahlen’s in a playoff game I believe (against Toronto). Good memories. Hope Johnathan makes it to the big club one day.

Sorry, OT, I know. But as a five year old kid this was the first game I ever went to!!! I had no idea what was going on. After the game, one of the arena workers tossed me a hat from the pile and I still have it to this day. Made me a fan for life. Hope Dahlen does well for the Cuda tomorrow night.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Moving to SJ means he's in a NHL city and has the top brass watching him play. Hopefully will understand merit issues of playing in NHL.

A lot easier to be called up when AHL team is in same city.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I posted this in a different thread, but worth posting here as well:

Every prospect ranking list I'm looking at has Jonathan Dahlen above Joshua Norris and Rudolfs Balcers.

Corey Pronman's top-100 lists Dahlen as an honorable mention, while Norris and Balcers aren't mentioned.

Last Word on Hockey's top-100 lists Dahlen at 54th, while Norris and Balcers aren't mentioned.

Dobber Hockey's top-200 forwards lists Dahlen at 60th, Norris at 83rd, and Balcers at 101st. But as I understand it, Dobber Hockey is only fantasy based.

Craig Button's top-50 lists Dahlen at 31st, while Norris and Balcers aren't mentioned.

Tryamkin's top-150 lists Dahlen at 55th, Norris at 114th, and doesn't mention Balcers.

Granted, Balcers and Norris' stock have both improved, while Dahlen's has dropped a bit. But my point stands - Dahlen is a higher ranked prospect than Balcers or Norris by every single ranking that I could find.

So, if you're going to slam Doug Wilson for trading two prospects in exchange for Erik Karlsson, you're going to have to give him credit for trading his 87th overall pick in 2018 for a prospect who is rated higher than any of them.

Basically, before the season, Dahlen was ranked significantly higher than Norris or Balcers by most publications.

Reactions: spintops

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Hope he scores one of these like his dad.

Always loved his first position skating toe drag move that he did all the time when coming down the wall. Very hard to learn back in the day. It's awesome because it throws the defenseman off and makes him think you're going to change direction. I wonder if his kid can do it...

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
Guys, I think Wilson got Jonathan to lure his dad into joining the "The Non-Player Organization Squad of Former Sharks", also known as T-NPOSOFS!

Think about it, over the past few years DW has been collecting as many former Sharks as possible for various roles in the organization...

Ulf is our next scout! :laugh:

spintops

Sep 13, 2013

Basically, before the season, Dahlen was ranked significantly higher than Norris or Balcers by most publications.
Good post. Chances are 5 years from now this trade will have been forgotten and neither guy will have made a dent in the league, but seems like Dahlen at least has a higher ceiling

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
Canuck fan here. Im hoping Dahlen just rips it up in San Jose or for your AHL affiliate to prove the Canuck brain trust wrong. He eventually got traded cause he believed he should be given a chance with the big club but was never given the chance cause our AHL team didnt think he was ready. The problem for me is that our AHL team hasnt even developed a single player to play for the canucks in the last 9 years to play for us significantly. Unless you count Goldoblin(33GP) and Virtanen(65GP) in the system.

To me this trade makes no sense to me, trading basically our Best players(Pettersson) best friend who also has undeniedable chemistry with him.

The current knock on Dahlen is that he doesnt have the best skating in the world to seperate himself from the opposition. Apparently we dont think skating can improve.......

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Pronman's midseason ranking is the most recent list I can think of but Norris is at 35 on that one. Pronman: 2018-19 midseason NHL prospects ranking

Dahlen was on the just missed list though: Pronman's midseason prospects ranking: Who just missed the...

His main concern continues to be Dahlen's skating

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
Listening to Canucks broadcast in car. Announcers discussed how Dahlen’s agent asked for a trade and Benning was like okay and shipped him out.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Those signings suck but these things are not related. Dahlen is not nhl ready, his skating needs a lot of work.

The Canucks are terrible and signed Roussel and Beagle so Dahlen didn’t need to play. That’s awesome.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
One thing that is crazy to me is that Canuck fans are over here shitting on this guy for not tearing up the AHL. Yeah he’s not doing great and not putting up a huge amount of points but he was still 5th on the team in points in his first season. He’s also the youngest in the top 5 with MacEwan the only one that is within 4 years of him. Now he’s coming to a team that isn’t bad at all and still is 5th in points.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster
Jul 10, 2010
Moving to SJ means he's in a NHL city and has the top brass watching him play. Hopefully will understand merit issues of playing in NHL.

A lot easier to be called up when AHL team is in same city.
i think it was Shovels who said the same? That being in the AHL when your in the same city as the big club isa big help

Reactions: Sandisfan

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
One thing that is crazy to me is that Canuck fans are over here ****ting on this guy for not tearing up the AHL. Yeah he’s not doing great and not putting up a huge amount of points but he was still 5th on the team in points in his first season. He’s also the youngest in the top 5 with MacEwan the only one that is within 4 years of him. Now he’s coming to a team that isn’t bad at all and still is 5th in points.
if you are not at a ppg you probably wont do much in the nhl. I get it but I also dont know why they seem to have had such high hopes in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->