Post-Game Talk: Sharks 7, Oilers 4

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
JONES: Edmonton Oilers best two players should call out management

Didn't terry jones just write an article the other week calling Chia a genius?
And one before that calling the fans "fickle"?

lol, good point about how Jones pulled a 180 in a week after calling fans fickle. Ridiculous.

For his article though, at least he includes management above Chia. I have a feeling that media will be getting pushed by the OBC to keep their sights only on Chia. What a crime it would be if Lowe, MacT, Howson and the gang all get off scot-free and Chia takes all the blame for yet another failed rebuild.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't mind it except I'd replace Caggiula with Spooner.
No matter who is there that team goes from a 1.5 line team to a McDavid team.

First line has the ability to score maybe.

Second line, will get destroyed defensively again.

Draisaitls line will not get destroyed but won't put up a single goal either

Hell Draisaitls wingers have a combined 1 goal between them.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Don't see why Larsson is getting the bump down over Nurse. Although I could see both those top pairings just splitting minutes and the Jones/Larsson pairing being much better. Larsson with Jones will allow Larsson to breath and make good plays again.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Once again Draisaitl gets the worst line mates out of any of our offensive players. Can’t wait to see people rip on him for not producing without McDavid.
To be fair I don't see either his line or RNHs line producing at all. All 4 of those wingers do absolutely nothing offensively. Caggiula had a decent stretch at least.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No matter who is there that team goes from a 1.5 line team to a McDavid team.

First line has the ability to score maybe.

Second line, will get destroyed defensively again.

Draisaitls line will not get destroyed but won't put up a single goal either

Hell Draisaitls wingers have a combined 1 goal between them.

We need someone better than Caggiula on that LW, IMO Spooner is that guy internally. Yamamoto needs to make the most of his opportunity and the 4th line needs to get their **** together.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Don't see why Larsson is getting the bump down over Nurse. Although I could see both those top pairings just splitting minutes and the Jones/Larsson pairing being much better. Larsson with Jones will allow Larsson to breath and make good plays again.

Nurse and Russell are familiar with each other so that pairing makes sense. Jones is playing as well as any of our defensemen right now so Larsson shouldn't complain about his partner after he and Nurse have been torched.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Reider has been a black hole this year and a bust. Amazing that there have been posters on here defending him. Incredibly, Looch is outscoring him this year.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
When is Russell back?
Hard to say with a groin injury. They have to be very careful with it because coming back too soon will just aggravate it and put him back on the shelf. Will be interesting to see, when he comes back, and if they keep losing, the usual clowns will start ripping on him.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Caggiula on our shutdown line again. Guy has been running around like a chicken with it's head cut off since coming back from injury. BUt...I struggle to come up with who would better there. #FireLowe

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Agreed, I’ve been advocating since he got back from injury he needs to be played along side mcdavid and Draisaitl. The 3 of them have chemistry and Rattie when his confidence is up can put the puck in the net. Leave them as a line for 5 games and see what happens. Rattie finally gets a real chance on the top line again last game and puts up 3 assists....what a shocker.
When the coach doesn’t like you, then your chances are very limited. TM appeared to trust him and gave him lots of rope. If he makes a mistake or two, or goes a game without a point, I could see Hitchcock pressboxing him again.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Not much positive to say about the team at this point. The Oilers need to get stick and body position against in-zone formations by the opposition, as well as win more puck battles near the perimeter. It's frustrating to see a playoff position slip away, especially in the midst of a five-game losing streak. Talbot had a bad game, as well as the overall defense of the team.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Guess Hitch is still trying to figure out what the heck he has, and the evidence keeps piling up that it's not much beyond a few guys. But, at least he is trying things still and not wasting time on stuff like trying to get Lucic a goal or Letestu a PPG. Still, there is some vindication for McLellan lately with how little depth this team clearly has to work with. Not to give McLellan a pass, but no coach being able to polish a turd to turn it into gold definitely applies here.

Reactions: Aerrol

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Guess Hitch is still trying to figure out what the heck he has, and the evidence keeps piling up that it's not much beyond a few guys. But, at least he is trying things still and not wasting time on stuff like trying to get Lucic a goal or Letestu a PPG. Still, there is some vindication for McLellan lately with how little depth this team clearly has to work with. Not to give McLellan a pass, but no coach being able to polish a turd to turn it into gold definitely applies here.

My thoughts as well. McLellan definitely made some mistakes, in trying to get veterans going, but I increasingly was believing that he really had a lot of garbage on the team, and this would hinder even a veteran elite coach. And here we are, with the existing coach facing the same problems and more or less, getting the same results. Love Hitch as much as anyone here, but he has taken over a shitty poker hand as well. He has tried to get Looch going, maybe with a different mix, but still with no success. He's tried breaking up Drai and McDavid, but inevitably, just like TM, he goes back to them. He's tried to make Puljo his pet project, but the kid is still spinning his wheels and now losing confidence with his expanded role. He does really say nice and interesting things to the press and ultimately to us, but at the end of the day, it's about results, and his are trending to the same as the one before him.

Reactions: oobga and Helistin

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
One positive thing I could say is that those two late goals, by Draisaitl and McDavid really were nice ones in showing the sort of skill those two players have. Also, Rieder might not be a bad acquisition, but I'm still undecided about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad