Sharks 25th Anniversary Jersey + Logo Concepts

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Hello Sharks Fans!

Like many of you, I'm looking forward to the new season. Not just because hockey is back, but I'm excited for all the new changes for our team. One of the most exciting things for me is the Sharks 25th Anniversary Jersey that will debut this year. Anytime there's mention of a new jersey, my brain starts working. Most of the time, I never share what I had in mind with the exception of my girlfriend and a select few people I know. This time, I decided to share my interpretation of what it could be. I hope you all enjoy it.

“The Heritage Jersey represents the present of the Sharks franchise while paying stark homage to its past.” Terry Smith, Designer​

I'm happy to hear Terry Smith is back to design this jersey as he pays homage to his original designs. I've been pretty vocal of my distaste of the current Sharks branding, but I will say I think the current set are the best since the 2007 rebrand and I quite like the white jersey. Removing the additional orange really helps the teal come through as opposed to the merky, green effect too much orange has on it.

Let's talk logo. The current Sharks logo (also by Smith) isn't bad. Its actually a very nice illustration with great composition. What I'm not a fan of is the two toned, cell shaded look and the whippy hockey stick. I know I'm not alone on this. That said, overall I've grown to like it and have accepted it as our team logo.

But wait, they never mentioned a new logo! No, they have not. But they did do something. Back in the 25th Anniversary Thread I called out something I noticed when they released the anniversary logos. The original Sharks logo had been explicitly modified for the graphic. See the post for more info - LINK.

For the next several days I couldn't let this "leak" escape me. I kept trying to wonder what they were doing. So I stopped wondering and began drawing. Below, on each jersey, is my interpretation of an "updated" Sharks logo that mostly matches the anniversary graphic (I reduced some line strokes to make it more modern). This isn’t the first time I’ve mocked up a modern Sharks logo, but its the first time I had a reference point.

So what you see below are 6 concepts I came up with in teal and white. Why white? Because white was our original home jersey, and the Sharks org made it a point to give that jersey away during the draft with the 25th anniversary patch. Does that mean I think it will be white? No. I have no clue. I just wanted to do more concepts. Each one follows the criteria put forth by Smith, representing the present while paying homage to the past. I have my personal favorites, but I’ll keep quite until some of you chime in.

Please take a second to vote for your favorite one and not necessarily what you think it would be.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this. I had a blast doing this and I’m happy to finally be sharing it.

- rem

click here for hi-res image

attachment.php

click here for hi-res image

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Why are your concepts better looking than the actual jerseys the team wears?

V1a & V2a are my favorites, but the poll only let's you select one so TEAL

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Needs better banding for the waist instead of just shifting from one color to the other. Otherwise, I like the concept in general.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
the one thing I didnt like about the original and I still dont lilke on your modern take on it is that the shark looks like it has two dorsal fins. Its one thing I feel they got right on the remake.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
nice designs!

personally, what I want to see in the new jerseys is more grey incorporated into it, as I honestly think of blue + grey when I think of actual sharks… so grey accents somewhere on the sleeves/waist/numbers would look really great and remind me of the jerseys of old

i also hope the only orange anywhere on the jersey is on the hockey stick of the logo, lol

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
thanks for the feedback so far people! please feel free to be highly opinionated! This is always very subjective, so its nice to hear what you all think.

This will also be very fun once the actual jersey comes out - at least for me :popcorn:

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
Alright, I'll be that guy... I like our new logo more then the old one, and I didn't mind having orange on the jersey. Maybe a little less orange, but I don't mind it.

So personally, I don't care for these. But I think I'd like V1A/V2A if it had the black piping that V1B/V2B has.

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
the one thing I didnt like about the original and I still dont lilke on your modern take on it is that the shark looks like it has two dorsal fins. Its one thing I feel they got right on the remake.

I can see that. I always wondered why they never incorporated just one more "depth" line, like there is for the actual dorsal fin. A small tweak there could probably help.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
thanks for the feedback so far people! please feel free to be highly opinionated! This is always very subjective, so its nice to hear what you all think.

This will also be very fun once the actual jersey comes out - at least for me :popcorn:

I can't wait for the 25th special jersey either because I want to buy a new Sharks jersey that I like and would want to wear to games. Since 2007 I've only bought 1 Reebok jersey, a blank Sharks black alternate, I've hated the Rbk sets with a passion because of the orange and I would like to buy an orange-free Teal Sharks jersey again. :nod:

For your templates I like either the old Sharks logo with filled-in eyes or the current Sharks logo, I don't like the hybrid combo of both. I noticed the 25th anniversary logo brought back the grey which is a good sign, so I think more grey in your sets would be better too. Otherwise you did a really good job!

I expect to see the current Sharks logo on the 25th special jersey on the Rbk template modeled after the '91 jersey, but personally I think it would be cool seeing the old logo with the current shade of Teal with the current Shark fin logos on the shoulders and the grey restored to its former glory.

Last season's stadium series jerseys were a BIG fail created by the league, one can only hope the Sharks don't screw this up but only time will tell.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
Needs better banding for the waist instead of just shifting from one color to the other. Otherwise, I like the concept in general.

Agree. 1b was the closest to that, so it got my vote (I like the extra black band on the bottom, but I think it could use more, maybe a gray one to make it a little more like the originals or a second black on the bottom). I think if 1a had a black border on the bottom band it would be my favorite, but something about the direct teal to white transition looks odd to me.

All very good though, Rem!

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I can't wait for the 25th special jersey either because I want to buy a new Sharks jersey that I like and would want to wear to games. Since 2007 I've only bought 1 Reebok jersey, a blank Sharks black alternate, I've hated the Rbk sets with a passion because of the orange and I would like to buy an orange-free Teal Sharks jersey again. :nod:

For your templates I like either the old Sharks logo with filled-in eyes or the current Sharks logo, I don't like the hybrid combo of both. I noticed the 25th anniversary logo brought back the grey which is a good sign, so I think more grey in your sets would be better too. Otherwise you did a really good job!

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't quite like the hybrid at first either, but after looking at it for hours and hours I've grown to like it. And yes, they have grey in the logo, but I was hesitant to add too much grey because I personally don't think they will do it, not because I don't want to see it.

Good job with the logo! Looks really clean.

Would probably choose V.2B because it's the most nostalgic. Design looks a little empty, though.

Thanks, I'm happy how it came out. The empty design, or as I put it minimal, is just a design taste. Some people (myself included) like a more minimal aesthetic while others feel it doesn't have enough. Its just subjective! Thanks for the feedback!

Agree. 1b was the closest to that, so it got my vote (I like the extra black band on the bottom, but I think it could use more, maybe a gray one to make it a little more like the originals or a second black on the bottom). I think if 1a had a black border on the bottom band it would be my favorite, but something about the direct teal to white transition looks odd to me.

All very good though, Rem!

Thanks! Again, the minimal look is just my personal taste. I will consider taking some of the feedback and doing another set if I have the time to.

Again, thank you all for the feedback! :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad