Sharks 2019-2020 season done

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Glad it's over

The best thing to happen to the Sharks all year was a global pandemic

I'm glad none of our players' well beings are going to be compromised in this farcical tournament, congrats on winning the Covid Cup, whoever you are (if they even manage to finish this nonsense without something going terribly wrong, I'm not optimistic on that front)

Reactions: themelkman

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Except for the final details, the Sharks (& 6 other teams including the SoCal teams) season is over.

I'll expect Leonard and Pasichnuk bros contracts announced soon.

Do we know that it's going to be the top 24 teams and not the top 6 from each division? I mean, wouldn't surprise me if it's the former since the league has to have NYR and the Blackhawks in the playoffs...

24 teams is so dumb. Might as well have put all 30 in.

Sharks would've been the one team left out then. Gotta support the Canadian and O6 teams. :sarcasm:

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I don't mind the Sharks missing since they're not winning shit anyways. It just sucks the Sharks don't have their 1st because I'm assuming the 24 teams involved won't have a shot at the lottery which means the Sharks would have a better chance than usual of winning the lottery. They don't have a shot at a cup and they don't have a shot at picking 1st. This season sucks.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
The 24 team tournament is going to be some of the worst hockey we've seen in a long time. Everyone out of shape and teams that have no business playing getting a shot.

Reactions: weastern bias

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
This is a horrible idea. Cancel the season. There is no reason to sacrifice the well being of the players and the league with the massive effect finishing this season will have on next season.
I would be shocked if any games actually end up getting played at this point.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I wasn't a fan in 02-03. How did this season compare to that one, for those who were watching then?

I had higher hopes in 02-03 than I did this year to be honest. After how they performed against the Avs in the 2002 playoffs and with the talent they had coming back it seemed like they would finally take the next step. The Nabby and Stuart holdouts hurt and they never got it figured out after those got resolved.

This team lost a lot of talent because of the cap and Deboer just flat out sucks. I didn’t think the team would do this poorly but I didn’t see them doing better than last years team.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I don't mind the Sharks missing since they're not winning shit anyways. It just sucks the Sharks don't have their 1st because I'm assuming the 24 teams involved won't have a shot at the lottery which means the Sharks would have a better chance than usual of winning the lottery. They don't have a shot at a cup and they don't have a shot at picking 1st. This season sucks.

TBD. Something needs to be determined as to which teams are eligible for lottery, and what the parameters are. Only the 7 teams that weren't invited to resume season? Top 7 have twice as many chances as the 8 that didn't make it through the play-in?

The 24 team tournament is going to be some of the worst hockey we've seen in a long time. Everyone out of shape and teams that have no business playing getting a shot.

Most guys are professional enough to keep in shape. Others will be starting their modified late summer conditioning tomorrow. Teams will have time before playin/round robin for Training camp 2.0. No schedule is set nor announced. So, teams may not regroup until late June or early July or late July. Announcement will be coming, and may still be up in the air due to local/national health authorities.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
DW/JW's to-do list

1. Sign Leonard, Pasichnuk bros (2 NHL and 1 AHL)

2. Sign 2018 draftees by <TBD critical date>. Sign graduating draftees by <TBD critical date>. Sign 2019 draftees, as needed/applicable, by <TBD critical date>.

3. Exit interviews/discussions with all players (especially the UFAs and RFAs). Draftees - expectations of physical/mental workouts, improvements.

4. Reach out to all the prospects that won't be having a camp this summer, and those the organization planned to invite, to express continued interest.

5. Decision on Boughner's future and the next Sharks coach. And after that Nabby, Ricci, Sommer, etc. And any other staff that might be added/subtracted/changed. (Bring on Wardo?)

6. Draft preparation (no need to attend/witness lottery). And check out virtual draft video/etc., hardware in advance of actual draft (on TBD critical date).

7. Review all players and where they fit in organization, and where the holes are. Can/will Jones bounce back? If not, options for NHL and AHL net minding duties next season. Buyouts?

8. Check league-wide for pending UFAs and RFAs that might improve the Sharks and Cuda. Scout as possible. (Keeping in mind that next summer will be the Seattle Expansion draft.) And reach out and field calls on <TBD critical date> for UFAs, RFAs to come to Bay Area.

9. Work on schedule with NHL schedule maker, and alternatives based on possible medical impacts from pandemic.

10. Organize hockey ops for social distancing, testing, etc., for COVID19 impacting 2020-21 season, etc.

11. Organize, as needed, preseaon media access (rookie, player); media/broadcaster preseason tour/meetings.

12. Any input on promos for upcoming season.

And that's probably just the top dozen.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Mods move this if not appropriate in this thread but I just read an article saying we might have interest in Georgiev at the draft. I know we need to improve our goaltending but please, let's not trade more picks and further mortgage off our future this draft. If the Rangers will take a guy like Labanc I'd probably bite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad