Share your favorite playoff experience

CKJohn

Apr 23, 2007
So I posted this on the Wings board, but I thought it would be a fun topic for all teams so here goes:

I've been contemplating this topic since game 3 when tickets fell into my lap. I have actually never gone to a playoff game that the Wings lost. In fact a few of them have been flat out blowouts by the Wings.

My favorite memory has to be of 2002 conference finals. I had just came home from the Marine Corps and heard that the Avs player wives were not going to attend the game and gave back the tickets they were allotted. I convinced my father to go down to the box office with me at 4 am to get in line for tickets the day of the game.

The mood in the line was light and fun until a guy tried to cut the whole line stating that "there was no line". Well as I had just got out of the Marine Corps (as an MP none the less) I felt it was my duty to the people around me to take care of this guy. Little did I know, some people had already called the police.

So I walked up to this guy and tapped him on the back and told him to move. He laughed in my face and thought he was going to intimidate me(I was 215 lbs at 5'8" without an ounce of fat on me). Meanwhile my dad comes along and starts to yell at the guy telling him that I'm a Marine and will wipe the floor with the guys face. He started to realize that it could be true long enough for me to maneuver him back away. Long story short is the cops showed up and were going to kick both of us out of the line until the others in line started speaking up on how I stood up for all of them. Kind of brought the whole line together.

Anyways, we got our tickets and ended up sitting next to most of the people in line. We all had nose bleed tickets but since we had spent most of the morning with these people in line, we all had formed a bit of a friendship type of thing. Imagine 3 rows worth of friends.

This was the 7-0 blowout by the Wings over the Avs in game 7 so the Joe was rocking. It was also the last game I got to go to with my father. With all these taken into consideration, it was without a doubt the best game I have ever gone to and I can't see another topping it.

Can't wait to hear you guys stories

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Only been to one...so I guess this one

lirl oh god Torts why was Boyle on the PP for the first goal?

Last edited:

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
Not mine but it's fitting being that they play each other. The only playoff game I went to was Rangers vs. Capitals in 2009 I believe? The Rangers didn't manage many shots and the Caps wiped the floor with us. It was raining when we got out and I checked my phone and it got water damage. Great times man.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wild vs Avs in round 1 back in 2003.

Avs were up 3 games to 2

I had 5th row tickets on the players bench side of the ice at the end the Wild had to defend twice in regulation, right at the faceoff circle (section 118 for those familiar with the X).

This game goes to OT, so the Wild were now shooting at the goal right in front of me... Richard Park was the OT hero who beat Roy 5 hole and then did a Superman slide on the ice along the opposite boards.

The entire building is obviously going nuts... I'm looking around the building in absolute amazement of the pandemonium and suddenly I see a guy at the near end, about half way up the lower bowl holding a sign that just says "I'M HAPPY"... nothing more. Best sign I've ever seen before or since at a game! :yo:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Caps vs Habs, game 4 in Montreal. Ovechkin scored 2 snipes and I believe Backstrom had a beautiful goal too.
Caps won 6-3. Dominic Moore scored a beauty for the Habs.

RangerGuru

May 14, 2013
I usually go to 2 playoff games a year with my family so there have been a lot of great moments

However, the best by far was St. Louis OT goal against the Habs in game 4 of the ECF last year

The garden was ROCKING. Was amazing to be there

Laps40

Dec 16, 2006
Montreal
Mine would be in 2010 when we faced the Penguins and we were down 2-3 going into game 6. I bought Club Desjardins tickets (quite expensive tickets that include unlimited food/soft drinks) to resell but i was dumb enough to choose e-tickets...in the end all interested persons choked on me. So me and my buddy went to the bell centre to try to scalp those...When we got there, the atmosphere surrounding the Bell centre was unreal and we both looked at each other and said **** this ... lets go.

That was the best playoff experience ever....and for us to spend so much money on a tickets when we were two broke students made it even better. Cammalleri was so great that year...i still miss his sniping skills sometimes and hope MaxPac will shine next round.

Honorable mention to Kovi's goal in OT 2008 against the Bruins...i think it was game 2...centre bell went so loud when it went in.

Good memories. I love playoff hockey especially in Montreal.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
I've never been to a playoff game. But this was my favorite memory as I despise the Bruins, and I was in a Chicago bar here in Atlanta, packed house, and near the end people were actually leaving the bar...

Then this happened and the place went absolute nuts.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Usually try to make the trek down to Chicago for a playoff game every year. My favourite one was Hawks/Sharks G4 in 2010.

That being said, the Cup win in '10 was clearly the best moment.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I went to 1 Playoffs game

Montreal Trailing 2-3 series vs Washington in 2010 (montreal 8th 88pts, Washington 1st 121pts). Halak performance 53 shots and winning 4-1.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My favourite playoff memory is a little different: Listening to the Oilers beat the Islanders in 1984 on the top deck of the Stefan Batori, a ship that was taking me to Europe for the first time. The top deck was the only place we could get reception. "We" consisted of a cockney English woman who was unaccountably mad about hockey, a 16-year-old Polish kid, who had the radio, in a Habs sweater who was going home to Kracow, and me...all of us freezing our ***** off and sipping vodka to keep warm sailing in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean under a starry sky.

GadKing

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
Only went to one playoff game, it was last year in Boston against Montreal, game 6, second round.

Habs played their worst game of the series, got destroyed 4-1. Won't be a hard experience to beat when I decide to spend the cash for some playoff tickets again.

GFG

Oct 19, 2013
Well, since this is the first season I've really watched where the Flames are in the playoffs...

Stu Grimson

Apr 16, 2014
Games I have been to are tough but I went to these gems

1. Game 5 vs Nashville 2010-Kane, ties it shorthanded with 13 seconds left, they kill off the remaining major in OT and Hossa comes out of the box to win it

2. Game 5 SCF vs Philadelphia- A first period onslaught and Buff destroyed Pronger at the end

3. Game 5 SCF vs Boston- Toews and Bergeron both leave game to injury

Not a Playoff game but a crazy experience
4. 2009-10 Regular Season vs Calgary down 5-0 in first period win in OT.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
seeing the wells fargo center viewing party celebrate during game 7 in boston, or Keith Primeau snipping short handed against tampa with Gary Thornes call "SHOT SCORE!" or his 5OT winner against pitt i was like 12 and i got to stay home from school the next day

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Spring of 1983.

Tony McKegney rips a twisted wrister, past Rick Wamsley, with about 5 minutes to go and Memorial Auditorium erupts.

The Sabres win the game 4-2 and sweep the Habs 3-0.

Bob Sauve posted two shutouts in the first two games at the Forum.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
round 1, game 4 in '03. sweeping detroit

the beauchemin-iginla fight in round 1 against calgary in '06

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
My favourite playoff experience was just last week, Game 6 against Vancouver!

I got a private box with my close friends and we witnessed an epic game! We also had the opportunity to spend the first intermission with Brian Burke and meet Giordano! Best game/hockey moment of my life... Unfortunately, i'm now broke :( :laugh:

brian_burke_1.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
1971, when Ken Dryden and his overachieving teammates frustrated the heavily favored Bruins (with Orr and Esposito) and the Blackhawks.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
As much as I wanna say June 19th, 2006, just to be different, I'll put beating Toronto in the 2002 ECF narrowly ahead of the game 1 OT win vs. Detroit. I'll never forget the "It's strange but true" call for as long as I live and really put the #hcanes on the map imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad