Shape of the blade toe

American in Paris

Feb 15, 2013
I've always heard that squared toes are for defensemen (better stopping pucks on the boards) rounded toes for forwards (better for toe drags) but that rule of thumb doesn't hold up when I look at NHL players' sticks.

I've heard other people say it's just a question of personal preference.

Can someone give me a little theory on which type of toe best corresponds to position, style of play, skill level, etc.?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Factors

I've always heard that squared toes are for defensemen (better stopping pucks on the boards) rounded toes for forwards (better for toe drags) but that rule of thumb doesn't hold up when I look at NHL players' sticks.

I've heard other people say it's just a question of personal preference.

Can someone give me a little theory on which type of toe best corresponds to position, style of play, skill level, etc.?

Too many factors involved starting with lie, shape of the heel, shape of the blade, type of curve if any, stick weight, etc.

Players adapt their sticks to their own skills and preferences so that they are offered optimal usage of the stick. Some will trade-off benefits, better forehand curve costs backhand efficiency, etc.

Stopping the puck along the boards is one aspect of defensive play but doing something with the stopped puck is more important. The square toe was favoured years ago when freezing the puck along the boards was common and accepted. Square toe made it harder for the opposition to wedge under the stick blade(no opening if done properly) and free the puck. Today freezing the puck is very rarely seen so the round blade is more effective.

Square toe for forwards. Some like as much blade as possible for deflections, corner work, etc.

Last edited:

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
As above it's personal preference and there's no right answer.

Basically a defense man would use a square toe as it fits flush against the boards and will stop the puck with no chance of it squeezing by.

mistrhanky

Mar 19, 2012
I used to think the square toe was really important to me, but the truth is, it is more important to have my legs set and my skate against the board to catch those pucks than trying to just make a stick play. Play what feels good to you.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Square toe's piss me off. If you like to give a slight toe-drag on the puck when leaning into your wrist/snap shots, you'll hate it too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->