Shape of the blade toe

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by American in Paris, Oct 4, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. American in Paris

American in Paris Registered User

I've always heard that squared toes are for defensemen (better stopping pucks on the boards) rounded toes for forwards (better for toe drags) but that rule of thumb doesn't hold up when I look at NHL players' sticks.

I've heard other people say it's just a question of personal preference.

Can someone give me a little theory on which type of toe best corresponds to position, style of play, skill level, etc.?

2. Canadiens1958

Canadiens1958 Registered User

Retired
    Factors

Too many factors involved starting with lie, shape of the heel, shape of the blade, type of curve if any, stick weight, etc.

Players adapt their sticks to their own skills and preferences so that they are offered optimal usage of the stick. Some will trade-off benefits, better forehand curve costs backhand efficiency, etc.

Stopping the puck along the boards is one aspect of defensive play but doing something with the stopped puck is more important. The square toe was favoured years ago when freezing the puck along the boards was common and accepted. Square toe made it harder for the opposition to wedge under the stick blade(no opening if done properly) and free the puck. Today freezing the puck is very rarely seen so the round blade is more effective.

Square toe for forwards. Some like as much blade as possible for deflections, corner work, etc.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  3. Jarick

Jarick Doing Nothing

Home Page:
    I've wrote quite a bit about hockey sticks and you may want to review that.

But it's personal preference. Forwards and defensemen use all kinds of different curves. Honestly, toe shape is pretty far down on the list of things I care about. Much more important is lie, rocker, face, and curve depth IMO.

4. ChrisNI

ChrisNI Registered User

As above it's personal preference and there's no right answer.

Basically a defense man would use a square toe as it fits flush against the boards and will stop the puck with no chance of it squeezing by.

5. mistrhanky

mistrhanky Registered User

I used to think the square toe was really important to me, but the truth is, it is more important to have my legs set and my skate against the board to catch those pucks than trying to just make a stick play. Play what feels good to you.

6. Sleepy

Sleepy 2014 Avenged

Square toe's piss me off. If you like to give a slight toe-drag on the puck when leaning into your wrist/snap shots, you'll hate it too.