Shanny appreciation thread

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He could have taken the easy way out.

Nobody would have ever blamed him for just letting Lou and Babs run things forever.

But he didn't, thank Jesus.

Thank you Shanny for choosing Dubas over Lou and Hunter and Babcock etc.

It's even harder for a guy like Shanny who played the game a lot different than really anyone on the Leafs does.

He could easily have been another Burke, stuck in his ways and wanted a more physical team with less talent and more grit. He realized that the game has changed since he played and let Dubas do what needed to be done.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Thank you Shanny for choosing Dubas over Lou and Hunter and Babcock etc.

It's even harder for a guy like Shanny who played the game a lot different than really anyone on the Leafs does.

He could easily have been another Burke, stuck in his ways and wanted a more physical team with less talent and more grit. He realized that the game has changed since he played and let Dubas do what needed to be done.

From the minute Shanny came, the rebuild couldn't have been better (with a few hicups in between). He knew it was time to tank to get Matthews or McDavid, we ended up with Matthews and Marner (what a consolation prize) and other than the cost, I still think that JT was a great addition, no matter how many think he's struggling this year, he's only 3 points under being a PPG player. But in my opinion (as you can see by my avatar), I think Hyman is the golden heart beat of this team. I worry more if Hyman misses a game over Matthews.

And then you have the veteran guys that are making a huge impact like Spezza, Thornton and Simmonds coming for basically league min only in hopes to win the cup with their childhood and hometown favorite team before they retire, all because of what Shanny set up.

And now all-of-a-sudden, we seem to have 3 number 1 goalies with a total of 2 GA in the last 4 games.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
From the minute Shanny came, the rebuild couldn't have been better (with a few hicups in between). He knew it was time to tank to get Matthews or McDavid, we ended up with Matthews and Marner (what a consolation prize) and other than the cost, I still think that JT was a great addition, no matter how many think he's struggling this year, he's only 3 points under being a PPG player. But in my opinion (as you can see by my avatar), I think Hyman is the golden heart beat of this team. I worry more if Hyman misses a game over Matthews.

And then you have the veteran guys that are making a huge impact like Spezza, Thornton and Simmonds coming for basically league min only in hopes to win the cup with their childhood and hometown favorite team before they retire, all because of what Shanny set up.

And now all-of-a-sudden, we seem to have 3 number 1 goalies with a total of 2 GA in the last 4 games.
Terrific takes !
Go Leafs Go

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He could have taken the easy way out.

Nobody would have ever blamed him for just letting Lou and Babs run things forever.

But he didn't, thank Jesus.
Behind the scenes Dubas was making suggestions and the old guys weren’t listening - Dubas suggestions with time proved to be the right decision going forward. So Shanahan let everyone else go in favor of Dubas. Shanahan eludes to it when asked why he kept Dubas.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Dubas philosophy is very simple. Emphasize speed and skill in scouting, drafting and player development then use any remaining cap space to add character players on discounts to fill out the roster. This season it's worked brilliantly.

Keefe has obviously had a positive impact on the team. He's much better suited to coaching and teaching younger players. So far the leafs systems have been outstanding.

All of that being said it's not playoff success. When that comes I'll actually celebrate.

Remember the Canadian teams are not the best in the league. That challenge comes with Boston and Tampa in the east and Vegas and Dallas in the west. That's a much bigger challenge than anything they've faced thus far.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Behind the scenes Dubas was making suggestions and the old guys weren’t listening - Dubas suggestions with time proved to be the right decision going forward. So Shanahan let everyone else go in favor of Dubas. Shanahan eludes to it when asked why he kept Dubas.

Yep.

"Dear God Shanny don't let them sign that Marleau/Zaitsev contract!"

"Please make them draft Konecny/Girard/Debrincat!"

Etc.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Dubas philosophy is very simple. Emphasize speed and skill in scouting, drafting and player development then use any remaining cap space to add character players on discounts to fill out the roster. This season it's worked brilliantly.

Keefe has obviously had a positive impact on the team. He's much better suited to coaching and teaching younger players. So far the leafs systems have been outstanding.

All of that being said it's not playoff success. When that comes I'll actually celebrate.

Remember the Canadian teams are not the best in the league. That challenge comes with Boston and Tampa in the east and Vegas and Dallas in the west. That's a much bigger challenge than anything they've faced thus far.

Boston and Tampa got worse this year.

Vegas has feasted on the buttersoft Pacific division for years now.

Dallas was a fluke run by a mediocre team.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
I agree and love that Shanny et all are getting the praise they always deserved.

But this feels like the twilight zone. As recently as this past offseason we had fire Dubas and Keefe threads. Anyone who didn't want their heads was a 'fanboy' or 'apologist'

Now its all roses. Some people around here need to start with some calmer and reasoned takes heh

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He is definitely the catalyst for a portion of this. Bringing Keon back to the organization is something that will stick in my mind for a long time (and Keon wasn't even of my era as a fan).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad