Shane Doan Appreciation Thread

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
THANK YOU SHANE DOAN

As we roll into April, we sadly approach the very likely retirement of one of the greatest sports figures in the history of Arizona. I feel like it's appropriate to start this thread now, so we can discuss and enjoy the final four games of Doan's career.

maxresdefault.jpg

shane-2.jpg

doaner.jpg

051407doanshane.jpg

6c255f2692.jpg

e46d3d62d54188e8e6f416264d17e268.jpg

edcfcbe0336076d3ea8af54491a43b98.jpg

img16774381.jpg

Shane-Doan-2.jpg

L169_CIFR182cc3dfd53fdca2b40997571e2b78c8.jpg

shanecrop-1200x500.jpg

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here....... when Doaner makes it official then we can talk like he's in the past.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Putting the cart a bit ahead of the horse here, no?

I think it's being realistic. If Doan decides he's not retiring, the Coyotes aren't going to give him a contract he'll be happy with. He was ticked off enough about this year's contract; how is he going to react when they tell him, "Get used to fourth-line minutes and bench time, Doaner"? Add to that, the guy's tank is pretty much empty at this point.

Shane Doan is the reason I became a die-hard hockey fan, because he showed me what "playing with heart" really meant. I just don't think he'll have his heart in the game with what will be available for him next year if he doesn't retire.

I'd love to see him be put in charge of the Coyotes' grassroots hockey initiatives when he does retire (if the team stays put long enough, that is). I don't think there'd be a better ambassador for the game than him, and nobody is more visible in this city in terms of identifying with hockey.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I hate to think of a Coyotes team without Doan but there's definitely a good chance that happens. I think he can still be a valuable team member and I think at this point he's ok with whatever money they offer and limited minutes but I'm not sure he feels the daily grind is worth it anymore. One thing is certain, he's the greatest Coyote of all time and it's not even remotely close! Fingers crossed he comes back but I'm preparing for that not to be the case.

If Doan retires, I'm totally not going to cry, that would be ridiculous right? Right?!?!

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
IF he decides to hang them up, I hope he takes a coaching position immediately.
I think he'll take some sort of ambassador type position that doesn't require much of him but keeps him tied to the organization until he and they decide where would be a good fit for him. He'll definitely stay a Coyote in some capacity though, they'd be absolute morons not to keep him affiliated with the team. Shane Doan IS hockey in AZ.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Watching those videos, who cut the onions? Have to agree with Sin, the grind might not be worth it for him at this point. As much as I'd love to see him lace the skates up again next season just because he is the Coyotes, the reality is that this is probably his last year. Very rare to see players stay with the same organization for their whole career, and be a contributor none the less. What a career, what a player, and what a role model. Interested to see what role he plays after he's done skating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad