Confirmed with Link: Shane Churla leaves Habs to become Panthers director of amateur scouting

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In facts our drafting was way better since he was hired

Agreed but it was also around the same time we started stock piling picks too. I believe he was named Director or Scouting in 2016? When exactly was Timmins moved to Assistant GM and Churla was Director of scouting?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Not sure but maybe he was Chief of scouting from 2013-2016 and Director from 2016-2020? Is this two separate positions or are they the same?

Edit: Found this online... In his sixth season in Montreal, Shane Churla, joined the Canadiens' organization as Chief of Amateur Scouting prior to the 2013-14 season. He was promoted to Director of Amateur Scouting in July 2017 taking over Trevor Timmins following his appointment to the position of Assistant General Manager.

Cheif from 13-16 and Director from 17-20. So yeah, he was Director when we started to stock pile picks. Hard to say how the extra draft power and how Timmins influence as AGM factored in all of this.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Now that I found out that Churla was promoted from Cheif to Director of scouting in July of 2017, it's interesting to note that he was promoted after we drafted Poehling, Brook, Ikonen, Fleury, Tyszka, and Primeau. Does that mean anything or not? Not sure but he was promoted right after that draft.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know them that much but Pilotte Mésonéro and Rouleau where great GM and scout in the QMJHL and they are know establish as NHL scout same for Lemay. Whalen is the assistant of directing of Scouting in Tampa and Morehouse has a good reputation around the league. I don't know them more then that

But Bergevin told Marinaro that these types of scouting talents are not available. :dunno:

Jul 6, 2016
Maybe Churla was fed up to work under Timmins who was not picking the guys he wanted....:sarcasm:

Reactions: MasterD

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Maybe someone can explain this:

So, I according to Bozovin's interview with Marinaro, he can't (or won't) poach any scouts from other more successful orgs because "...they are all employed already" Yet Arizona from all teams just hired away from Tampa Bay Darryl Plandowski, who served as the Tampa Bay Lightning assistant director of amateur scouting under legendary scout Al Murray.

Yes MB, keep being happy with your current staff of losers - no problems there, right? Might as well extend them them too..

Reactions: David Suzuki

70Stang

Feb 21, 2008
Next director of scouting will be a female. Who are the candidates? Time for Mtl to pick the best guy/gal out there. Do they have any females in management? Will he/she have to speak French and English?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Honest question... Do you think Churla is a big loss cause Timmins tells him what to do? How do we know then if Churla was good at his job or not?

I don’t think either would be a big loss. There’s nothing that they’ve done recently to warrant our trust, whether it’s Churla or Timmins. Especially in the case of Timmins in which we have 15+ years of Habs experience to criticize.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don’t think either would be a big loss. There’s nothing that they’ve done recently to warrant our trust, whether it’s Churla or Timmins. Especially in the case of Timmins in which we have 15+ years of Habs experience to criticize.

I totally understand how Timmins can be criticized given his long track record.

However, how do we differentiate and isolate Churla's work and input? How do we assess his job performance?

Several posters here claiming that Churla had no say, that Timmins made the final recommendations to Bergevin.

If that is the case, how can anyone reliably assert one way or the other, how competent Churla was?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Arpon thinks it's a big loss but he's also suggesting that Churla will be the head guy in Florida:

Reactions: Vachon23

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I totally understand how Timmins can be criticized given his long track record.

However, how do we differentiate and isolate Churla's work and input? How do we assess his job performance?

Several posters here claiming that Churla had no say, that Timmins made the final recommendations to Bergevin.

If that is the case, how can anyone reliably assert one way or the other, how competent Churla was?

I don’t know, but I never spoke about Churla’s competence myself. If no decisions rest with him, then it just proves he’s easily replaced. They could just as well hire anyone of us if that’s the case.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don’t know, but I never spoke about Churla’s competence myself. If no decisions rest with him, then it just proves he’s easily replaced. They could just as well hire anyone of us if that’s the case.

I just wanted to get a sense of how well he's done. I guess the Panthers know something.

Arpon Basu is usually reliable, so not sure he's as easily replaced but Basu's article is behind a paywall so I don't know the points in his favor.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So, who replaced Starman? Nick Carrière?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

You mentioned that Churla has done nothing to warrant our trust so that looked like a judgment call on his abilities. Just cause we’re not directly privy to the guy’s contributions doesn’t mean they should be discounted. What if he had solid recommendations but Timmins handcuffed him?

Also, what will it take before Timmins leaves?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Arpon thinks it's a big loss but he's also suggesting that Churla will be the head guy in Florida:

This...

This is why our media sucks so f***ing much.

Churla and co suck ass. It's not a loss at all.

Someone asked if our prospect pool would have been better with our scouts of just central scouting and central scouting likely would have been better.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
How much bicep and character did we lose on this transaction?
About one Lex Luger worth.
lex_luger_pro.png

534NSLp1NKitwGHL9

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This...

This is why our media sucks so f***ing much.

Churla and co suck ass. It's not a loss at all.

You have a point about Timmins. But, you or anyone else in here doesn’t really know how good Churla is cause you’re just not privy to that info. Final decisions did not rest with him.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You have a point about Timmins. But, you or anyone else in here doesn’t really know how good Churla is cause you’re just not privy to that info. Final decisions did not rest with him.

1st overall pick is usually a consensus/majority rules type pick. Anything after that (assuming you don't have another high draft pick) is usually based on scouts fighting for their player to be picked.

Giving his position, Churla didn't really scout one specific area, but everywhere. He would give his blessing to a pick and if I'm not mistaken Lernout was one of those picks.

So, either Churla gave his support to the many useless players we drafted,which we will draft more useless players than useful, but we haven't drafted any good players since Gallagher. The players with promise, are just that, players with promise.

Or, he sat passive/overruled,which means he was useless and right to move on.

Either way. Churla was useless for this organization and either it was directly his fault, or the hierarchy overruled him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have no reason to doubt Basu, who is usually rigorous in his assessments.

If they don’t replace Churla with an outside scout, it only suggests that Timmins gets more say. How is that a good thing?

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe he arm wrestled Timmons for final decisions and just lost every time? :sarcasm:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Interested to see if anyone else follows Churla to Florida. He would know who are the best Habs scouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad