Sportsnet: Shanaplan Phase 2

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I too think it's more thank likely that the CAP approaches 82 million next year. I think you can afford to pay Nylander 7, Marner 8.5 and Matthews 10.5... Worst case scenario, it costs you a couple assets to move the last year of Marleau's 6.25 million. Let's face it, I love the guy, but he has posted 3 straight seasons under 50 points, while playing 82 games in each season. I think you could get 85% of that out of someone else, at half of that cap hit. Toronto is going to score plenty. Matthews and Nylander are going up in production as they develop, regardless who is on their wing (they were studs with Zach friggen Hyman). The same is true with Marner and Tavares. Anybody with decent top 9 skill, who can skate, is going to be productive on that line... For me, assuming an $82 million cap next year, the roster ought to feature no fewer than 3 forwards, possibly 4, on their ELC deals, a re-signed Gardiner at $6.5 (using Marleau's money) and there is still enough to give Matthews $10, Marner $8, and Nylander $7.... It's tight, but I ran the numbers twice, including small raises to others who are up for one, and a younger version of Hainsey on a $3.5 million deal or less, and I made it in just under $82.

Marleau earned every cent in game seven

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
Not sure what benefit Shanahan gets from this. Now if they go into next offseason offering 11 to Matthews, is the agent meant to immediately assume that is a low ball offer and the Leafs believe he is worth more? Not a great start to negotiating for the Leafs.

No positives from this statement IMO. Hope it works out and he proves me wrong.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
It could work depending on where the cap is next season:

Tavares - 11
Matthews - 10
Marner - 9
Nylander - 8

Kadri - 4.5
Hyman - 2.25
Brown - 2.1
Marleau - 6,250
Kapanen - 1.5m
Johnsson - 1.5m
X - 800K
X - 800K
$57,700,000

Rielly - 5
Zaitsev - 4.5
Gardiner - 6.5
Ozhiganov - 1.5m
Dermott - 863,333
X - 800K
$18,663,333

Andersen: 5
X - 800K
$5,800,000

Total: $82,663,333

Marleau, Hyman, and Brown would be the obvious places where salary can be cut.

61 point forwards making $8 million? No chance in hell he gets that amount.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I envision the salaries like this.

Tavares $11 million
Matthews $10-12 million
Marner $7.5-8.5
Nylander $6.5-7

Obviously I'm hoping for the low ends of those numbers when it's all said and done. I don't think it's impossible to add the pieces needed to get to contender status with these numbers and I don't think it's a lowball for anyone.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
... not sure it was a good idea to make it public that you want players to take a discount. It’s ok to think it, negotiate it through your contract offers but say it publically?

Maybe they should’ve used William as an example and traded him to Winnipeg. “Enjoy little to no endorsement deals, and the small frigid city of Winnipeg...”

... would Marner have the red bull hat on in the dressing room if he played for Winnipeg... or have his insurance gig?

Don’t get me wrong Im not saying low ball them. Find somewhere between low ball and Dave Nonis and call it a good day.

On the contrary, I think making it known and keeping everything above board for the sake of transparency is something the players appreciate.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It's pretty clear that TOR is moving away from Nylander. Shanny is starting a subtle propaganda construction.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
It's pretty clear that TOR is moving away from Nylander. Shanny is starting a subtle propaganda construction.

If it happens it happens. I'd rather trade Nylander than give him ~7M. That's head and shoulders above his comparables. It's one thing to be on the high end of the spectrum (e.g. 6.5M), it's another to just blow his comparables out of the water and write blank cheques. It sets a really bad tone, which would then impact Marner/Matthews negotiations as well.

I don't see him getting traded this year though. I think there are two main possibilities:
1) he signs a long-term deal (and is likely to stay for most/all of it)
2) he signs a bridge contract (and is more likely than not traded before he gets his big raise in a few years)

Either way, I'd be surprised if he wasn't signed within a week or so.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

It could work depending on where the cap is next season:

Tavares - 11
Matthews - 10
Marner - 9
Nylander - 8

Marleau, Hyman, and Brown would be the obvious places where salary can be cut.

OR, another way this could play out is stated here in the article:

The negotiations could be equally difficult for Matthews and Marner, especially following a season where the Leafs are going to score a boatload of goals. It would not be at all surprising to see Matthews push for the Connor McDavid contract ($12.5-million AAV over eight years) while Marner tries to match the Jack Eichel deal ($10-million AAV over eight years).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If it happens it happens. I'd rather trade Nylander than give him ~7M. That's head and shoulders above his comparables. It's one thing to be on the high end of the spectrum (e.g. 6.5M), it's another to just blow his comparables out of the water and write blank cheques. It sets a really bad tone, which would then impact Marner/Matthews negotiations as well.

I don't see him getting traded this year though. I think there are two main possibilities:
1) he signs a long-term deal (and is likely to stay for most/all of it)
2) he signs a bridge contract (and is more likely than not traded before he gets his big raise in a few years)

Either way, I'd be surprised if he wasn't signed within a week or so.

Yep.

While most signs clearly point to a compromise being worked out on a deal (both sides want long term and according to last night don’t seem THAT far apart in terms of aav) - if no compromise can be met they’ll just sign a bridge deal.

Trading Nylander now is a sure formula for bringing back a subpar return. Look at Yzerman and Drouin (not that I think the situations are similar), he refused to move the player until he felt he was back in a position of strength.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What was interesting was the backlash Shanny got from a fair amount of the media last night - ie they usually tend to take a fairly consistent “pro management” POV when reporting stories.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yep.

While most signs clearly point to a compromise being worked out on a deal (both sides want long term and according to last night don’t seem THAT far apart in terms of aav) - if no compromise can be met they’ll just sign a bridge deal.

Trading Nylander now is a sure formula for bringing back a subpar return. Look at Yzerman and Drouin (not that I think the situations are similar), he refused to move the player until he felt he was back in a position of strength.

If Willie can't be signed to a cap friendly number you can trade him down the road. We do not have a cap issue this year and we need him for this year's run.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
What was interesting was the backlash Shanny got from a fair amount of the media last night - ie they usually tend to take a fairly consistent “pro management” POV when reporting stories.

Depends on the media person. They've definitely stirred up their fair share of "controversies". Matthews/Babcock, the captaincy, facial hair rules, etc.

And the ones tearing into Shanny were some of the usual suspects (e.g. Brady, Button, etc), rather than the more respected media members (McKenzie, LeBrun, Friedman, etc) - at least from what I saw.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
if no compromise can be met they’ll just sign a bridge deal.

I think a 4 year bridge deal that takes him to UFA is quite possible. Players would retain leverage in this scenario, so kind of understandable from that perspective.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
You can't convince me under any circumstance that Nylander is worth 8m/year. He is not a better player than Pastrnak-end of story. He needs to figure that out and so does his agent. Many fans here and the player as well, seem to forget at how much he caved in the Boston series last year. His board work, or lack thereof caused the Leafs goals against. Don't get me wrong, he is a good player but a skilled soft player. If he is looking for 8m a year, trade him now and move on. I remember some of the players on Chicago, they looked unreal on that team and crap when they moved on. The collection of parts is better than the individual pieces. Shanahan was right yesterday, in Det, even though it was pre-salary cap fit everyone in. Det could not spend more than Tor or NYR or Montreal but they made it work. I'm sure the owner would have had a tough time keeping everyone if they demanded market value.

My neg tactic would be to offer the same contract that Pastrnak got minus some dollars, give him a week to sign it, if he doesn't make him sit for a long time. If they choose to go the offer sheet route, match and trade when they can. Have to decide what the core is and to be honest, if one was going by market value, Kadri could have asked for a lot more.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If there ever was a chance for an offer sheet, nows the time. With his statement Shanahan has basically put the option out there without fear of future retaliation ... I think.
you need cap space to retaliate , we won't have any for years

Reactions: middletoe

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's not wrong, you have to get a break from some of your young stars like the Jets and Schiefele. If you pay everyone like Draisaitl, you turn into Edmonton in a hurry.

Added history lesson for you, once upon a time, Shanahan was a hot shot mercenary who signed a big time deal with the St. Louis Blues, chasing money, spurning the New Jersey Devils. The Devils got Scott Stevens as compensation. We can do that with Nylander, basically.

Reactions: daveleaf

Ron Park

Oct 4, 2018
... not sure it was a good idea to make it public that you want players to take a discount. It’s ok to think it, negotiate it through your contract offers but say it publically?

Maybe they should’ve used William as an example and traded him to Winnipeg. “Enjoy little to no endorsement deals, and the small frigid city of Winnipeg...”

... would Marner have the red bull hat on in the dressing room if he played for Winnipeg... or have his insurance gig?

Don’t get me wrong Im not saying low ball them. Find somewhere between low ball and Dave Nonis and call it a good day.
Shanahan is such a hypocrite. He didn't take the offer in New Jersey because he thought it wasn't enough. He went to St. Louis and Scott Stevens ended up in Jersey to win cups. Hometown discount...why would Nylander or for that matter, Matthews give a hometown discount when they're not from Toronto. Shanahan has a very select memory. He should just sit in his office and be quite about contracts.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Shanahan is such a hypocrite. He didn't take the offer in New Jersey because he thought it wasn't enough. He went to St. Louis and Scott Stevens ended up in Jersey to win cups. Hometown discount...why would Nylander or for that matter, Matthews give a hometown discount when they're not from Toronto. Shanahan has a very select memory. He should just sit in his office and be quite about contracts.

Agreed. Its the first stupid comment hes made since taking over the leafs. Hypocrite aside, comparing a non cap team with one of the highest payrolls in the league to this is ridiculous.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->