Sportsnet: Shanaplan Phase 2

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Pastrnak signed for 6.667 before he had his breakout year, and not only that, but cap hit % for 6.667 in 2016 when he signed would be a lot higher than Nylander’s cap hit % today at 6.7

No, no and no. Try learning some basic math.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Nylander not getting 8 and Matthews is getting more then 10. Also I highly doubt we keep gards at 6.5.
You can add one for Mat (11) and -1 for Nylander (7) or Mat 10.5 & Nylander 7.5. Same difference cap wise.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Pastrnak signed for 6.667 before he had his breakout year, and not only that, but cap hit % for 6.667 in 2016 when he signed would be a lot higher than Nylander’s cap hit % today at 6.7
Wot m8? pasta scored 34 goals and 70 points in his final elc year

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I too think it's more thank likely that the CAP approaches 82 million next year. I think you can afford to pay Nylander 7, Marner 8.5 and Matthews 10.5... Worst case scenario, it costs you a couple assets to move the last year of Marleau's 6.25 million. Let's face it, I love the guy, but he has posted 3 straight seasons under 50 points, while playing 82 games in each season. I think you could get 85% of that out of someone else, at half of that cap hit. Toronto is going to score plenty. Matthews and Nylander are going up in production as they develop, regardless who is on their wing (they were studs with Zach friggen Hyman). The same is true with Marner and Tavares. Anybody with decent top 9 skill, who can skate, is going to be productive on that line... For me, assuming an $82 million cap next year, the roster ought to feature no fewer than 3 forwards, possibly 4, on their ELC deals, a re-signed Gardiner at $6.5 (using Marleau's money) and there is still enough to give Matthews $10, Marner $8, and Nylander $7.... It's tight, but I ran the numbers twice, including small raises to others who are up for one, and a younger version of Hainsey on a $3.5 million deal or less, and I made it in just under $82.
Why would Marleau waive his NTC to go somewhere else when he just moved his family here?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Shanahan needs to stay out of this IMO. Discuss this internally with Dubas and have Dubas speak to the agent/team. Do not do this in the media, not now.

Reactions: saffronleaf

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Shanny should have kept his yap shut; now every f***ing media junkie is gonna bombard RFAs with stupid questions like this

-matthews
-marner
-kappy
-johnsson
-dermott
etc.....

seriously why make your players answer more stupid questions from the media?

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
lol Matthews basically told shanahan to F off there.

Rightfully so. Don't mess around with Matthews contract Dubas. Pay the dude or gtfo and let someone else pay him.

Nylander's quote was almost identical:

"That's why we have agents, right?
Let them figure it out, talk to management.
We'll stay out of it and just wait in Sweden".

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
That's what I was thinking. Part of it might just be he didn't really choose his wording very carefully. When Dubas answers questions like this he focuses on the fact that it's up to him to sell the players on building a contender and always maintains that he wants players to sign "fair" deals. He makes it sound like a big happy family working together.

Shanahan was sort of saying the same thing but much more bluntly and it comes off pretty poorly. Shanny sort of framed it as the players' onus to gift them a discount whereas Dubas usually frames it as the team's job to sell them that vision.

There are different ways to communicate... you can say things without saying it or be transparent and say it. Neither are wrong. Just different. The truth is everyone has to sacrifice some for the ultimate goal. Be a team player. Like others have said the endorsements and perks playing in Toronto are far more attractive than majority

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Maybe this fanbase will turn on Matthews next summer while Shanahan lectures about how much he financially sacrificed in the pre-Cap era while bouncing from team to team chasing a paycheck and Matthews and Nylander can win the Cup elsewhere

Matthews contract should be extremely simple.

You tell him, we value you just as much as Tavares. Here is 88M front loaded with signing bonuses. That’s it.

We should definitely nickel and dime Marner. His overall impact is similar to Nylander. Whatever we sign Nylander to, Marner shouldn’t be more than 1M above it.

Reactions: Confucius

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

OK

He still got 70 points in 75 games (before his breakout year).

Is that better than Nylander's career best 61 points in 81 games?

YES

Significantly better?

YES

And he signed in 2016?

NO 2017

Oh ok thanks bruh.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad