Shame on USA networks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
Shame on USA networks for not airing this championship game. I don't know how TV scheduling works, but couldn't they have alotted a time slot so that should they US team make it to the finals, at least air one friggin game? Those boneheads at ESPN play cheerleading championships, but they ignore the WJCs. (Like I said, I'm not even saying they should have aired multiple games, but they should've planned for an 'if USA makes it to the finals' scenario.)

chicpea*

Baron Von Shark said:
Shame on USA networks for not airing this championship game. I don't know how TV scheduling works, but couldn't they have alotted a time slot so that should they US team make it to the finals, at least air one friggin game? Those boneheads at ESPN play cheerleading championships, but they ignore the WJCs. (Like I said, I'm not even saying they should have aired multiple games, but they should've planned for an 'if USA makes it to the finals' scenario.)

Maybe the WJCs aren't "realityTV" enough for american audiences?
They should ask Olesz about that.

The Rage

Baron Von Shark said:

I can understand airing more popular sports over hockey, but when they have billiard championships, spelling bee's and so on on these networks, I'm surprised they can't make room for this.

Jerome Bechard

Nov 24, 2003
Baron Von Shark said:

Anyone with a Direct TV dish, the gold medal game is on the nhl channel(747 for me)

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
canucklehead17 said:
Oy, that sucks for the US if they're not airing the games. Football on the other hand?

~Canucklehead~

They should be able to catch a couple of High school playoffs game's :D

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
The Rage said:
I can understand airing more popular sports over hockey, but when they have billiard championships, spelling bee's and so on on these networks, I'm surprised they can't make room for this.

I'd love to see ESPN show at least the final. But the sad thing is billiards and spelling bee would probably get a higher rating than any hockey game in the U.S., let alone a junior hockey game. They might mention the game on sportcenter, but most people wouldnt even know there was a junior tournament going on, let alone take time out of a back-to-work Monday to sit down and watch the game.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
canucklehead17 said:
Oy, that sucks for the US if they're not airing the games. Football on the other hand?

~Canucklehead~

Football, the most popular sport in the country?

I'd say 99.9% of the American population don't know the WJCs exist.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
tom_servo said:
Football, the most popular sport in the country?

I'd say 99.9% of the American population don't know the WJCs exist.

What always kills me about threads like this is they tend to be started by Canadians, NOT Americans. We get it guys, you feel bad for us..... :cry: Any self respecting hockey fan in this country should have satellite, if you do all of this moot. If you don't, well..........

Last edited:

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
I imagine there are people out there living in apartment buildings that won't allow you to install a dish. Still other people live in urban areas where they don't have the right exposure to receive signals. Just because someone doesn't have a dish doesn't mean they haven't tried.

Or perhaps you're suggesting that if they were a real hockey fan they'd move? ;)

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
The real question is, will they show the World Championships this summer?

And Rabid Ranger is right, if you are a hockey fan in the US a satellite dish is imperitive

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Legionnaire said:
The real question is, will they show the World Championships this summer?

And Rabid Ranger is right, if you are a hockey fan in the US a satellite dish is imperitive

ESPN and ESPN 2 are airing the World Cup of Hockey.

The Rage

kov said:
I imagine there are people out there living in apartment buildings that won't allow you to install a dish. Still other people live in urban areas where they don't have the right exposure to receive signals. Just because someone doesn't have a dish doesn't mean they haven't tried.

Or perhaps you're suggesting that if they were a real hockey fan they'd move? ;)

Can't they get digital cable? I don't know much about these types of things (I stick to my regular cable) but wouldn't that work?

rwinger

Aug 14, 2003
Can anyone give me the channel number on which this game will be shown on Dish Network w/Center Ice? My program guide does not list this game at all.

Thanks

Jeff Shafer

Established: 1987
The Rage said:
Can't they get digital cable? I don't know much about these types of things (I stick to my regular cable) but wouldn't that work?

It would work if they bought the NHL Center package that the digital cable provides. I'm pretty sure it's the same price to buy it off digital cable as it is to get it off directv. Cause when I was living in an apartment when my house was getting built I couldn't have a dish so I had to get digital cable and I got the package and saw the games just fine.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
I'm not so surprised it's not televised nationally on ESPN2 or an alternate.. they just don't care much. What chaps me is that there aren't any regional networks covering it. FSN North, for example. I mean, I can see some network meathead thinking cheerleading or something might get more viewers nationally speaking, but I bet a lot of people in MN/ND/WI/MI (and the Northeast, too) would tune in if they could.

Jeff Shafer

Established: 1987
ceber said:
I'm not so surprised it's not televised nationally on ESPN2 or an alternate.. they just don't care much. What chaps me is that there aren't any regional networks covering it. FSN North, for example. I mean, I can see some network meathead thinking cheerleading or something might get more viewers nationally speaking, but I bet a lot of people in MN/ND/WI/MI (and the Northeast, too) would tune in if they could.

agreed

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
rwinger said:
Thanks but I wanted for the Dish Network not Directv.

I'd heard that it wasn't on one of the regular center ice channels on Dish, but on one of the ppv sports ones. Just something I'd heard, could be wrong.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Shame on USA Networks? How about a little reality? It wouldn't pull a 1.0 rating in the US. The WJC is a total niche market in the US. The NHL itself doesn't draw, kids that the public has never heard of would draw even less.

EDIT: one other thing. Most of us are at work right now, so we couldn't watch it if we wanted to.

Last edited:

Mr_Hockeytown19

Nov 18, 2003
detroit
Visit site
the best solution is to create an online petition

Baron Von Shark said:
and get a shitload of names on it to show espn the wjc is of interest to usa fans.every game SHOULD be aired,if lebron gets a high school game on tv,the wjc are more worthy.anyone agreeing with me lets set it up. :dunno: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->