Line Combos: shake up

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I think RC needs to shake up his 3 left wingers until Frattin and Lupul come back.

My take is JVR playing with Kessel is not working cause JVR needs the puck to score and needs to be set up and that does not happen with Kessel being that same player and dominating the puck.

Kessel's line needs a grinder to muck the corners and win battles to get the puck to Bozak who feeds Kessel in prime shooting area's

So what I would do is

Komorov Bozak Kessel -

Komorov provides that physical grinder/good in all 3 zone guy they need will get in on the forecheck and make things happen.

JVR Kadri Orr

Provides Kadri with a finisher in JVR who is a shooter and would be helped by Orr getting in on the forecheck and Kadri great passing

Mac Grabbo Kulemin

Go back to this line and hope they can rediscover the magic.

This way you have a shooter on each line and guy who can distribute the puck and one guy who will forecheck and grind it out.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I think RC needs to shake up his 3 left wingers until Frattin and Lupul come back.

My take is JVR playing with Kessel is not working cause JVR needs the puck to score and needs to be set up and that does not happen with Kessel being that same player and dominating the puck.

Kessel's line needs a grinder to muck the corners and win battles to get the puck to Bozak who feeds Kessel in prime shooting area's

So what I would do is

Komorov Bozak Kessel -

Komorov provides that physical grinder/good in all 3 zone guy they need will get in on the forecheck and make things happen.

JVR Kadri Orr

Provides Kadri with a finisher in JVR who is a shooter and would be helped by Orr getting in on the forecheck and Kadri great passing

Mac Grabbo Kulemin

This way you have a shooter on each line and guy who can distribute the puck and one guy who will forecheck and grind it out.

I haven't liked the Kadri - Orr experiment. Kadri should have two capable wingers who can shoot the puck. We all know Kulemin can score, he just doesn't seem to get many opportunities since Grabovski doesn't distribute the puck very much. Having two big wingers like JVR and Kulemin on Kadri's line would work well IMO.

Komorov - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Kulemin
MacArthur - Grabovski - McClement

highoffglass

Cheers!
Jan 20, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
Anybody else getting sick of having Colton Orr with Kadri?

I mean, good for him, getting some playing time... but my god, Orr has never been anything more than 4-6 minutes a night and an enforcer. Get him back on the fourth line where he belongs.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
it already is shook up

tends to happen when your starting goaltender, 1st line winger and 3rd line youngster all get injured

whatever works is fine by me

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'd put Mac back with Kule and Grabo. And MClement - Kadri - Komarov.

Run the 4th line with no Centers; and hope that we don't get bit with an icing.

Run 3 lines, and let the 4th line come in on the fly , if we need to sheriff

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd put Mac back with Kule and Grabo. And MClement - Kadri - Komarov.

Run the 4th line with no Centers; and hope that we don't get bit with an icing.

Run 3 lines, and let the 4th line come in on the fly , if we need to sheriff

That will not happen, no chance.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I would give Bozak a run as the shutdown center - we know he's good defensively and he's a good player on the PK. I'd put Grabovski with Kessel so they can have a more dynamic offensive line. They have chemistry, people keep writing off the 3 - 4 games two years ago when they actually had some nice goals together and good pressure shifts (see last night as an example).

Van Riemsdyk - Grabovski - Kessel
MacArthur - Kadri - Kulemin
Komarov - Bozak - Brown
McClaren - McClement - Orr

When the team is healthy again:

Lupul - Grabovski - Kessel
Van Riemsdyk - Kadri - Frattin
MacArthur - Bozak - Kulemin
Komarov - McClement - Orr

Eventually Mac gets traded and Komarov moved to 3rd.

Last edited:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

I mean, good for him, getting some playing time... but my god, Orr has never been anything more than 4-6 minutes a night and an enforcer. Get him back on the fourth line where he belongs.
Agreed. Much rather put McClement with Kadri and Mac.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
VanRiemsdyk-Bozak-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-Komarov
MacArthur-Kadri-Brown
Mclaren-McClement-Orr

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Huh? JvR doesn't needed to be set up with the puck; like 90% of his goals are crashing the net and finding the loose change. He needs a guy that consistently gets pucks on net. That's Kessel. They've looked great so far IMO.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Huh? JvR doesn't needed to be set up with the puck; like 90% of his goals are crashing the net and finding the loose change. He needs a guy that consistently gets pucks on net. That's Kessel. They've looked great so far IMO.

Yup. That is the first thing i thought.

Kessel is the type of player to compliment JvR's style.

Bozak has been a beast on the draw. I would love to see him on our 3rd line, taking a ton of draws; put him out in all areas.

Give Kadri a reward. Atleast for 1 game.

JvR-Kadri-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabo-McClement
Mac-Bozak-Komarov
McClaren-Steckel-Orr

Bozak has the confidence to pot some goals, but he is now defensive aware on this line. Would really make a decent player out of him.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

So what I would do is

Komorov Bozak Kessel -

JVR Kadri Orr

Mac Grabbo Kulemin

Okay, lets ignore the fact that Kessel leads the team in assists with 10 :nod:

Kessel has assisted on 5 of JVRs 9 goals which is pretty good seeing as JVR scored 2-4 of his goals when he wasn't on a line with Kessel. Of those 5 goals Kessel has assisted on, 4 of those assists are primary assists. Of Kessels 10 assists, 8 of them are primary. I think Kessel distributes the puck pretty damn well and personally I have liked JVR + Kessel playing together.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Okay, lets ignore the fact that Kessel leads the team in assists with 10 :nod:

Kessel has assisted on 5 of JVRs 9 goals which is pretty good seeing as JVR scored 2-4 of his goals when he wasn't on a line with Kessel. Of those 5 goals Kessel has assisted on, 4 of those assists are primary assists. Of Kessels 10 assists, 8 of them are primary. I think Kessel distributes the puck pretty damn well and personally I have liked JVR + Kessel playing together.

Sure it works but I would rather have both scoring on different lines and it creates a better balanced attack.

If both are scoring then who does the opposite coach check? Kessel/Bozak or Kadri/JVR ?

This all becomes a moot point once Lupul and Frattin are back but for now to balance the attack I like what I proposed.

leafspring*

Did you see Neil on the 4th line or 3rd line against Ottawa. It was against Kadri's line,and not even a whisper out of Neil. Get it?

Last edited by a moderator:

leafspring*

I'm pretty sure Neil had nothing to do with the decision to have Orr on Kadri's line.

I wouldn't be so sure about that if you know Carlyle is into protecting his skill guys.Its not just neil,its protection from any teams tougher guys who might want to try to intimidate.

Kadri already said he feels less concerned throwing his weight around with Orr there. That said,he could move Orr in and out of that spot,and does. Lines are changed accordingly shift to shift by Carlyle,and i don't know if everyone realizes it.

It changes shift to shift every game. It depends on the other coaches line-up,and how he utilizes them also.

It'll change anyways,i'm not making much of it.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I would give Bozak a run as the shutdown center - we know he's good defensively and he's a good player on the PK. I'd put Grabovski with Kessel so they can have a more dynamic offensive line. They have chemistry, people keep writing off the 3 - 4 games two years ago when they actually had some nice goals together and good pressure shifts (see last night as an example).

Van Riemsdyk - Grabovski - Kessel
MacArthur - Kadri - Kulemin
Komarov - Bozak - Brown
McClaren - McClement - Orr

I like this, except I'm not at all convinced that Bozak is good enough defensively to check full time. I'd like to see McClement on the third line to backup him up in place of Brown and have one of Brown/Orr/McLaren scratched for Steckel so someone on the 4th line can win draws when they inevitably ice the puck.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca

So what I would do is

Komorov Bozak Kessel -

JVR Kadri Orr

Mac Grabbo Kulemin

Dude, this isn't the 1970s. You can't have grinders/enforcers playing on the top lines anymore.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Id say put McClement back with Grabo and Kulemin, and most Komarov with Kadri and Macarthur.

McClement had some chemistry with grabo and kulemin, and Komarov plays more of a game that would allow Kadri and Macarthur to produce.

You can see the benefits of having Orr with Kadri... namely a greater freedom to hit, skate, and be creative. The problem though is that its simply hard for Kadri to do much when he only has one passing option moving forward. Komarov doesnt skate as fast as Orr, but he can recieve a pass, hit, and stand up for guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad