Shadow of the Tomb Raider (2018)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Been playing it since i love the first two games in the rebooted trilogy. Couple things that are annoying me;

- The prologue took way, way too long. Really killed my motivation to play for like a day

- The game is either too handholdy on even normal difficulty (like Lara constantly spouting what you need to do if you ping survival instincts to get a lay of the land or so to speak) or far too obtuse on hard mode (switching exploration/puzzle difficulty to hard means you lose all abilities and hints, including the simple stuff like white paint on ledges)

- Tutorial messages still popping up hours into the game. Yes, i know how to use my axe throw/grapple, please stop showing me every time i come to a spot where i can use it.

They really botched the adaptive difficulty stuff on this. Otherwise the game is more of the same, and i'm totally okay with it.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Meh is about the right description i have after finishing it.

It felt a lot less polished compared to the first two games. Jumping at an angle is still glitchy as hell, sometimes Lara will drive her pickaxe through the wall entirely and somehow fall to her death.

I wasn't expecting a big revolution in gameplay from Rise to Shadow, but i was expecting more than "oh it's more of the same. Again." Rise got it right with taking the mechanics/concepts from the first game and just expanding on it. This is just the same exact idea with almost no changes.

Also the characterization sucks. Lara goes from scared out of her wits in the first game to stone cold killer/bad ass by the end of the second game to now a daddy issue having, emotional mess despite this not being her first rodeo. Isn't the point of this whole trilogy is to see how Lara evolved into the old school games version of herself?

6.5 to 7/10 for me.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Yeah I felt the story was weak in this one, and parts of it were just so cheesy and poorly written. The game was extremely short too it felt like and the combat is just horrible

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Say what you want about the Anniversary/Legend/Underworld reboot trilogy, it was fun to play, had a good narative, and Lara's character development wasn't a bumbling mess.

It says something when a strict level based game like Underworld feels more open and explorable than an hub based open world game like these new ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad