Euro: SF: Portugal vs. Wales, 7/6/2015

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
While I commend them for somehow finding their way into the finals, I do wonder how things would have worked out for Portugal had they lined up against Spain, Germany and France, in succession.

Croatia-Poland-Wales just doesn't have the same cachet, y'know? :help: :laugh:

Of course we can't fault Portugal for being placed in the kiddie bracket, that's on UEFA for bungling the knockout stage seedings. Here's hoping they fix it by 2020, and even things out a bit. ;)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If we're being fair though Poland drew Germany, and Switzerland drew France while Croatia looked very strong, and beat Spain while topping their group. I don't think that Portugal is really being given enough credit for their run just because of the optics of their results. They've faced tough enough teams.

It's also been an unbelievable tournament for Wales, and they outperformed anyone's expectations -- especially in their comprehensive win over Belgium. Losing Davies and Ramsey to a stupid rule probably did them in when it came to making the final, but they can certainly be proud of what they've accomplished.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Portugal should have never beaten Croatia. And Croatia, known from falling under pressure, were the biggest team of that side of the draw.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
While I commend them for somehow finding their way into the finals, I do wonder how things would have worked out for Portugal had they lined up against Spain, Germany and France, in succession.

Of course we can't fault Portugal for being placed in the kiddie bracket, that's on UEFA for bungling the knockout stage seedings. Here's hoping they fix it by 2020, and even things out a bit. ;)

Of course it doesn't have the same cachet but those teams did well enough to win or finish second of their groups while getting results vs teams with better reputation.

idiroft

Sep 21, 2012
Lisboa

Yes, because reaching the final going through Romania, Switzerland, Albania, Ireland, Iceland and Germany is wayyy more deserving.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well, not before the semis, but eliminating the world champs does make you deserving of being in the final.
Much more than eliminating zero top team. And lucking out against Croatia, who was never favourites to win the whole thing before the tournament anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad