Euro: SF: France vs. Germany, 7/7/2016

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
German lineup, not confirmed

Neuer - Kimmich, Höwedes, Boateng, Hector - Kroos, Schweinsteiger - Müller, Özil, Draxler - Götze.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Somewhat dissapointed Götze plays although i'm not suprised. Would've rather seen Sane maybe even Podolski .Götze looked completely out of place in the games he was used. Then again he did as the World Cup as well until he suddenly scored the most important goal of his career.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
German lineup, not confirmed

Neuer - Kimmich, Höwedes, Boateng, Hector - Kroos, Schweinsteiger - Müller, Özil, Draxler - Götze.

Hopefully Jogi isn't this dumb; although seeing what DD has done may have motivated him to step his game up.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Now the confirmed lineup:

Neuer - Kimmich, Boateng, Höwedes, Hector - Kroos, Schweinsteiger, Can - Özil, Müller, Draxler.

So Can in, Götze out.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
*sigh* well hopefully Toni has the game of his life to give our midfield a chance...that or Schweini aggravates his injury quickly, forcing Jogi to do the right thing and play Weigl.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Now the confirmed lineup:

Neuer - Kimmich, Boateng, Höwedes, Hector - Kroos, Schweinsteiger, Can - Özil, Müller, Draxler.

So Can in, Götze out.

Well Götze not playing is good but Can and Schweinsteiger ? That seems a bit wierd.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well Götze not playing is good but Can and Schweinsteiger ? That seems a bit wierd.

Playing Weigl would make too much senses for Jogi; and given the general corpsiness of what's left of Schweini, somebody in that midfield needs to be able to run. Granted it would make a lot more sense to just play Weigl and use the other opening for Gotze/Sane...but Jogi.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Well playing Weigl would make too much senses for Jogi; and given the general corpsiness of Schweini's current game, somebody in that midfield needs to be able to run. Granted it would make a lot more sense to just play Weigl and use the other opening for Gotze/Sane...but Jogi.

Can is diesel, can run for 120 minutes. I still don't understand Schweinsteiger being there.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Can is diesel, can run for 120 minutes. I still don't understand Schweinsteiger being there.

Can is great at running and physical stuff but i don't remember him ever beeing a very smart player . Schweinsteiger i guess is to clean up the mistakes Can makes hopefully without having to run much.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Can can run like a man possessed, and with proper coaching could become an upgrade on Khedira in that more physical b2b role...but for now he's just not precise & elegant enough for our possession game. Especially against a midfield as dynamic as France's. We'd be much better off with either:

Draxler - Mueller - Sane
Oezil
Kroos - Weigl
Hector - Howedes - Boateng - Kimmich

or

Draxler - Mueller
Oezil
Kroos - Gotze
Weigl
Hector - Howedes - Boateng - Kimmich​

than any shape featuring Can...now if Jogi weren't scared of picking BMG players and had Dahoud (or Kramer) around...

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He's smart, but lacks the technical ability to play in attack more than he currently does. This moment might be too big for him as well. He mostly plays as a #5/#6 for Liverpool now and I'm sure he won't be doing that in this match.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I dunno about that. Can tended to fade late in games for Liverpool. Big engine but not sure he paces himself well.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Can can run like a man possessed, and with proper coaching could become an upgrade on Khedira in that more physical b2b role...but for now he's just not precise & elegant enough for our possession game. Especially against a midfield as dynamic as France's. We'd be much better off with either:

Draxler - Mueller - Sane
Oezil
Kroos - Weigl
Hector - Howedes - Boateng - Kimmich

or

Draxler - Mueller
Oezil
Kroos - Gotze
Weigl
Hector - Howedes - Boateng - Kimmich​

than any shape featuring Can...now if Jogi weren't scared of picking BMG players and had Dahoud (or Kramer) around...
I think Can will be on Pogba's toes. Play him a little physical. Not elegant but could be effective.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
TBH I don't have a problem with Can.

We all know what's going to happen: France's offence vs. Germany's defence. The french offence is better that ours and our defence is better than theirs.
Not eating goals must be our business and then try to score one later.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Can will be on Pogba's toes. Play him a little physical. Not elegant but could be effective.

Keeping Pogba from having the ball would be even more effective. *shrug*

TBH I don't have a problem with Can.

We all know what's going to happen: France's offence vs. Germany's defence. The french offence is better that ours and our defence is better than theirs.
Not eating goals must be our business and then try to score one later.

The french have more goal scorers than we do with Mueller misfiring. But we have the midfielders to win the possession battle in this one to keep those french attackers from just getting to come at our backline...and pressing their defense; which is the biggest weakpoint for either team.

We should be planning to control this match and expose the french backline early, to dishearten & starve those french attackers.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
History will be made no matter what.
France can't beat Germany when it matters, so that's an obvious plus for them.
OTOH, France has won every major tournament on its soil since 1938.

I still think Germany will go through. And I predicted the wins/draws of each french game correctly so far (4 wins and 1 draw).
2-1 Germany. At best for us, a Germany penalties win.
Forgot another number.
We won Euro 84.
16 years later, we won Euro 00.
16 years later, ...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Forgot another number.
We won Euro 84.
16 years later, we won Euro 00.
16 years later, ...

Germany just gunna keep breaking errybody's runs. First they go to south america & end europe's title draught in the western hemisphere; next was Italy's undefeated run against us in competitive matches; and now your perfect run on home turf! :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad