Euro: SF: France vs. Germany, 7/7/2016

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
TBH after finally beating Italy all of my tension is gone about this tourney. If Jogi uses Mustafi in Mats place we'll still be very solid in defense...unlike that dreadful french backline...and if even if it's the supremely mediocre Howedes that is called upon, we are stronger than them in back.

Gomez has been performing very solidly for us, but Mueller almost scored a euro goal against the Italians, Draxler's been very dangerous when called upon, Mesut remains sublime, and Toni has been exquisite. If we let those three play in a fluid front three; and bring Weigl on for the injured Khedira (with the washed up Schweini hurt) I'll feel very comfortable with our chances in this one...whether we played a back 3 behind that quintet, or bring Gotze/Can on to join them ahead of our back 4.

...though I won't complain if DD wants to help us out with another stupid lineup...

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
FWIW, according to "express" Löw was testing this lineup:

Müller
Özil-Draxler-Sane-Kimmich

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd pick something like:
Draxler - Muller - Sane
Ozil - Kroos
Weigl
Hector - Boateng - Mustafi - Kimmich

or

Draxler - Muller
Ozil
Kroos - Gotze
Weigl
Hector - Boateng - Mustafi - Kimmich​

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Mustafi is not gonna play over Höwedes . He may bring a bit more to the table offensively but he's also way less safe defensively.

I'm pretty sure Schweinsteiger is gonna start the game. Now if he holds up and the condition he's in is an entirely different matter but he's the teams Captain if he says he's ready to go he's gonna play.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Mustafi is not gonna play over Höwedes . He may bring a bit more to the table offensively but he's also way less safe defensively.
Disagreed. Would start Mustafi over Höwedes any day. Mustafi developed into a very solid all-around defender.

lud

May 27, 2009
Croatia
Hummels,Boateng,Khedira,Shweinie and Gomez all out .Too many important players missing.

Unfortunately France wins this

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I'm pretty sure Schweinsteiger is gonna start the game. Now if he holds up and the condition he's in is an entirely different matter but he's the teams Captain if he says he's ready to go he's gonna play.

I have no idea why you believe this, but it's pretty far out there. Mustafi is rather limited on the ball as well; he just happens to be much more solid against it than Howedes.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I've never seen Mustafi play at the club level so i have no idea how he plays at Valencia . So i can only speak about the German NT and Mustafi more often than not had quite a few mistakes in his game way more than Höwedes ever had. Before the tournament Rüdiger was very likely planned as #3 and the other two probably wouldn't have seen much time.

Höwedes had a very strong defensive game against Italy and the "Zweikampfstatistik" ( i have no idea what the english word for that is and couldn't find a proper english translation ) supports my claim . Höwedes is gonna play over Mustafi and its the correct call.

Last edited:

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Hummels,Boateng,Khedira,Shweinie and Gomez all out .Too many important players missing.

Unfortunately France wins this

Why are Boateng and Schweinsteiger out? As far as I know both can play. Or am I missing something?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
For the record if Schweinsteiger can't go i would support Weigl over Can. Can is similar to Khedira in style but a much worse version. Weigl is not as physical but a much safer player than Can who i have some bad memories of .

In the end it probably won't matter since i expect Schweinsteiger to play . He's an experienced big game player and even if his body close to breaking down he still is the teams Captain .If he wants to play he's gonna play.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Why are Boateng and Schweinsteiger out? As far as I know both can play. Or am I missing something?

They are both playing, and in fact Schweinsteiger is starting. That guy was just rambling.

Funny fact I wasted time looking up - there have been 44 World Cup and Euro matches decided by PKs. Only four have been won by a team falling behind by a goal after a full round.

1982 WC, Germany beat France after falling behind after round 3
1994 WC, Sweden beat Romania after falling behind after round 1
2012 Euro, Italy beat England after falling behind after round 2
2016 Euro, Germany beat Italy after falling behind after round 3

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Looking forward to this. Rooting for Germany, because a Portugal/France final would make me sick to my stomach.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Hoping for a good game. Would rather see France win than Germany and I feel they've looked better.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
With Wales gone, and because I do not want to cheer for Portugal in the Finals :

Allez les Bleus.

ForSpareParts*

I am torn. I like aspects of both teams. I will be cheering for the winner vs Portugal in the final.

Should be a great game.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Tough call.

France has shown very well offensively but generally against weaker opposition. France will also have the rabid support of the home fans.

Germany might have the more balanced squad and the (slightly) better keeper, but are missing a few pieces and still haven't really settled on a comfortable line-up.

Either Germany wins a close one or France wins by 2 or more.

I'll also be cheering for the winner in the final.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
History will be made no matter what.
France can't beat Germany when it matters, so that's an obvious plus for them.
OTOH, France has won every major tournament on its soil since 1938.

I still think Germany will go through. And I predicted the wins/draws of each french game correctly so far (4 wins and 1 draw).
2-1 Germany. At best for us, a Germany penalties win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->