World Cup: SF: France vs. Belgium, 7/10/2018

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by Live in the Now, Jul 7, 2018.

?

Who advances?

Poll closed Jul 10, 2018.
  1. France

59.7%
  2. Belgium

40.3%
  1. Harry22

Harry22 GO HABS GO!

koyvoo likes this.
  2. Savi

Savi Registered User

Damn, this hurts.

Four years ago we lacked the experience, and four years from now we'll probably be too old. This was our chance.

Italy may not have qualified for this WC, but it almost feels like we went out against them. A bunch of Italians, disguised as a French team. I think it's extremely ugly how they play, but it's also extremely effective and it gets them the results they want so props to them. You could see they paid a lot of attention to our game against Brazil. They had an air tight game plan today, though I didn't expect them to play THAT defensively.

Thought we played pretty well in the first half. Controlled the play for the most part and had a couple of good chances. The Lloris save on Alderweireld was fantastic. Second half was very frustrating. Some weird decisions by Martinez (subbed of Dembele way too late, shouldn't have subbed off Fellaini), lack of tempo, inacurate and nonchalant passing, and just not enough urgency overall. Looked like the boys were dead tired are something. Couple of ref decisions that didn't go our way, the blatant foul on Hazard right outside the box for one. Just a bad half where we fell back into our bad habits of the past.

Such a shame to lose against a team (I feel) wasn't any better than us, defended most of the game and decided the game on a corner kick.

The only thing left for me at this WC is hoping England lose tomorrow so we can kick their asses in the bronze medal game.

Stray Wasp, Bonose, Eisen and 3 others like this.
  3. Jersey Fresh

Jersey Fresh Video Et Taceo

I didn't watch the match, so I really can't comment. But let me pose this question...

If we replace France with Mourinho's United, would people on this board be complaining about the style of play?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  4. Suiteness

Suiteness Registered User

Home Page:
    Belgium died by the same sword they lived by against Brazil: A fluke goal off a deflection. That is what games at this level will come down to.

Stray Wasp, Eisen and cgf like this.
  5. Billy Crawford

Billy Crawford Registered User

Also, I think the best teams is the WC played today and I hope they both destroy their opposition for WC/3rd place because screw the other half of the WC playoff tree.

6. JeffreyLFC

JeffreyLFC Registered User

I want every french players and fans to think the same!!

They are bound to have a surprise.

7. Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp Registered User

As someone who criticises Deschamps a fair bit, credit where it's due - this performance had written all over it the grit he showed in his playing career.

I suppose it's just to say the team was the star, but I must signal out Varane, who gave a supreme demonstration of centre back play. Come to think of it, that's the best I've ever seen Matuidi play.

Starting Fellaini proved every bit the mistake I hoped it'd be- which isn't anything against Belgium. Given the copycat nature of professional sport, the importance of set pieces in this tournament is alarming enough as it is without a team lifting the big prize deploying a violent lamp post in the centre of midfield. For all his hard work to thwart Pogba there were moments when watching the two of them in close proximity made it appear I was watching two different sports spliced together.

Belgium weren't bad, but Roberto Martinez was surely misguided in failing to make a substitution between the 60th and 80th minutes and leaving his last change until injury time. Aside from Hazard, who looked dangerous every time the ball was at his feet, none of their attackers distinguished himself for the game's entire duration. De Bruyne had his moments, yet vanished for stretches. Whisper it, but while Giroud appeared a threat to miss shots from every angle, as a target man he reminded what Lukaku isn't suited to doing.

Eisen, cgf and YNWA14 like this.
  8. Moncherry

Moncherry Registered User

France created better chances than Belgium, where is this nonsense about them defending the entire match coming from?

CharlesPuck and PickleRick like this.
  9. N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s Registered User

At this point I feel like it's just assumed that he will stand out every game. So solid.

10. Harry22

Harry22 GO HABS GO!

I admit that France played mostly in their own half from the 65th minute on. But from the 25th to the 60th, they had the better chances and capitalized on one. Belgium had a good start with chances and even though they had the ball for most of the last half hour they created maybe one or two quality chances.

cgf likes this.
  11. nickp91

nickp91 Registered User

Good luck to Martinez and his Belgians in the 3rd place game. They have been fun to watch this World Cup and deserve to go home with something

cgf likes this.
  12. TheMoreYouKnow

TheMoreYouKnow Registered User

Well, the Belgians can say thanks to Adnan Januzaj, who hasn't delivered much for Belgium other than ensuring this match didn't turn out to be the World Cup Final.

13. crowi

crowi Registered Loser

After a quiz I filled out with my buddy my 1. team was Belgium so I rooted for them this tournament. My buddy's was Croatia.

I hope Croatia loses tomorrow. :(

14. cgf

cgf FireBednarsSuccessor

Browbeaten Bookkeeper
    He dominated the first half & continued to be great. While Varane started great & then dominated. So Varane's great game will be more memorable in general.
    Depends on how much gas Croatia has in the tank and which coach out-stupids the other...if they don't stumble over England. Cause they have the midfield & the talent to what Belgium couldn't today.

Turtleneck Plek likes this.
  15. cgf

cgf FireBednarsSuccessor

Browbeaten Bookkeeper
    Agreed. I continue to believe that DD is limiting his team by playing almost exclusively on the counter; but they are far from anti-football.
    Yes. Mourinho's teams play a much more negative style than this France team...even if I have my gripes with DD.
    That's an interesting phrasing for not adhering to the strawmen you would prefer to address. But please make something else up that you think is ridiculous & would like to pretend that I said. It's really helping your argument by distracting people from the point that was being discussed.

16. cgf

cgf FireBednarsSuccessor

Browbeaten Bookkeeper
    *shrug* we do still remember Hungary 54, the dutch in 74, Brazil 82, Platini at the World Cup, etc. All failed to lift the trophy, but their football inspired more coaching innovations...and continue to do so...than the majority of winners. Hell even with west germany 74, people forget that the team actually played the exact same style as the dutch until the final, where we had to bunker against their onslaught.

Football is different from many other sports, especially NA sports, as there's much more romantic attachment to the "honorable death" than the "win at all costs" mentality that dominates the culture in Ice Hockey, Basketball & Concussionegg...I don't know **** about baseball but assume it's the same as other NA sports in terms of the culture of winning trumps all. That's why footballers are much more often described as artists or magicians when journalists or fans start to wax poetically, rather than as beasts or monsters, as you see with NHL-/NBA-/NFL-ers.

The belgians are salty af with this shade they're throwing at the french...especially after the way they beat Brazil...but in Football we actually do remember the courageous losers surprisingly well...especially at the WC...though the phenomenon does exist at the club level as well.

17. cgf

cgf FireBednarsSuccessor

Browbeaten Bookkeeper
    Maybe I can still get my 'Farage reaction to England being sent home on a loss to Belgium' in the bronze-medal game?...

Stray Wasp, Deficient Mode and MXD like this.
  18. Nalens Oga

Nalens Oga Registered User

I dunno why Hazard stopped making runs to expose Pavard in the 2nd half like he was doing in the 1st. He started dropping too deep and going centrally. It was a bit sad that all the Belgium attacks were running through him or KDB today, the other players were absent in attack (having a certain galon would've helped).

Also, Giroud's 'hold-up' play really isn't good enough to justify starting him at this point imo with that poor finishing. They might as well just start Mbappe in the middle and have a false 9 with Dembele. They'll be better off having more width to run against either Croatia/England.

19. Halladay

Halladay Folesian Society

Cruyff said something along the lines of "Results without style are pointless, as is style without results". I don't think France was that boring and negative today.

Stray Wasp, CharlesPuck and cgf like this.
  20. Virtanen18

Virtanen18 SAMCRO

Has anyone complaining about time wasting at the end of the game seen a football match before? Honest question lol

Hilarious yellow by Mbappe. Reminds me a bit of this from Drogba:

CharlesPuck likes this.
  21. kovacro

kovacro Uvijek Vjerni

Master of the Custodial Arts
    Meunier was a big loss for Belgium. Changed their tactics a bit and they couldn’t play the same way they did versus Brazil.

The yellow card rule should be adjusted. Maybe have it as 3 yellows accumulated and then you get suspended with cards wiping out at the semi final stage.

Good run by the Belgians.

France will be tough to knock off regardless of who they face in the Final, but in a one off, you never know.

22. Bon Esprit

Bon Esprit Registered User

Today's Belgium reminds me of Portugal 15 years ago.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Stray Wasp likes this.
  23. Corto

Corto Faceless Man

I don't really know what to say. I don't want to be overly critical of France, they just got to the WC final, but it does leave a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.
    It's not just how the game went, both teams had their spells, but the whole thing has a very Italia 90 feel to it... A goal from a set piece followed by a time wasting bonanza.

Mbappe, for all his talent, is apparently doing a Neymar; between his antics vs Uruguay and last night, I don't think he's won himself many friends.
    Mbappe falling over when being in the vicinity of anyone - and getting calls, and Hazard trying to play, and not getting calls whether he manages to continue play or not.... Bizarre.

Also, note to the ref... If the injury time says 6 minutes, but 4 are spent on blatant time wasting, you are allowed to extend the game longer.

Anyway, not the game I was hoping for, but congrats to France.
    This Belgium team should have another contending run in them for Qatar 2022.

I do feel sorry for them (Belgium) but I think in large part it's their own fault.
    I realize this system works defensively (especially with their "normal" starting 11) but their actual attacking play boils down to Lukaku holding it up for Hazard and KDB. The double pivot with Fellaini and Witsel is useless in build up play and you're basically asking Hazard to drop deep every time he wants the ball.
    Meanwhile, you have KDB, a top-3 (top-5 at worst) midfielder in the world play so far up the pitch that he has no role in the build up play and sees the ball about 10 times per game.

Instead of refining the system and play in which the front 3 of Mertens, Hazard and Lukaku would be served by a midfield led by KDB, he backed out on that and went with double pivot in a 3-4-3.
    It even worked with Meunier, but the build up play was never there, even vs Brazil.

Stray Wasp and gary69 like this.
  24. Eisen

Eisen Registered User

I liked Japan Belgium.

25. Eisen

Eisen Registered User

I agree with you, but the time wasting still sucks. From everyone. Grinding it out in the corner or line is ok. But milking standard situations always annoys me, even when my teams are doing it. It's not enough to ruin the victory, but I don't like it. And it should be pretty easy to get out if it's carded more often. Keep in mind, I am a guy who would like to see incorrect throw-in called as well. ;)