World Cup: SF: France vs. Belgium, 7/10/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Damn, this hurts.

Four years ago we lacked the experience, and four years from now we'll probably be too old. This was our chance.

Italy may not have qualified for this WC, but it almost feels like we went out against them. A bunch of Italians, disguised as a French team. I think it's extremely ugly how they play, but it's also extremely effective and it gets them the results they want so props to them. You could see they paid a lot of attention to our game against Brazil. They had an air tight game plan today, though I didn't expect them to play THAT defensively.

Thought we played pretty well in the first half. Controlled the play for the most part and had a couple of good chances. The Lloris save on Alderweireld was fantastic. Second half was very frustrating. Some weird decisions by Martinez (subbed of Dembele way too late, shouldn't have subbed off Fellaini), lack of tempo, inacurate and nonchalant passing, and just not enough urgency overall. Looked like the boys were dead tired are something. Couple of ref decisions that didn't go our way, the blatant foul on Hazard right outside the box for one. Just a bad half where we fell back into our bad habits of the past.

Such a shame to lose against a team (I feel) wasn't any better than us, defended most of the game and decided the game on a corner kick.

The only thing left for me at this WC is hoping England lose tomorrow so we can kick their asses in the bronze medal game.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I didn't watch the match, so I really can't comment. But let me pose this question...

If we replace France with Mourinho's United, would people on this board be complaining about the style of play?

Last edited:

Billy Crawford

Dec 23, 2008
Paris...ish...
Also, I think the best teams is the WC played today and I hope they both destroy their opposition for WC/3rd place because screw the other half of the WC playoff tree.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Also, I think the best teams is the WC played today and I hope they both destroy their opposition for WC/3rd place because screw the other half of the WC playoff tree.
I want every french players and fans to think the same!!

They are bound to have a surprise.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
As someone who criticises Deschamps a fair bit, credit where it's due - this performance had written all over it the grit he showed in his playing career.

I suppose it's just to say the team was the star, but I must signal out Varane, who gave a supreme demonstration of centre back play. Come to think of it, that's the best I've ever seen Matuidi play.

Starting Fellaini proved every bit the mistake I hoped it'd be- which isn't anything against Belgium. Given the copycat nature of professional sport, the importance of set pieces in this tournament is alarming enough as it is without a team lifting the big prize deploying a violent lamp post in the centre of midfield. For all his hard work to thwart Pogba there were moments when watching the two of them in close proximity made it appear I was watching two different sports spliced together.

Belgium weren't bad, but Roberto Martinez was surely misguided in failing to make a substitution between the 60th and 80th minutes and leaving his last change until injury time. Aside from Hazard, who looked dangerous every time the ball was at his feet, none of their attackers distinguished himself for the game's entire duration. De Bruyne had his moments, yet vanished for stretches. Whisper it, but while Giroud appeared a threat to miss shots from every angle, as a target man he reminded what Lukaku isn't suited to doing.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
France created better chances than Belgium, where is this nonsense about them defending the entire match coming from?

I admit that France played mostly in their own half from the 65th minute on. But from the 25th to the 60th, they had the better chances and capitalized on one. Belgium had a good start with chances and even though they had the ball for most of the last half hour they created maybe one or two quality chances.

Reactions: cgf

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Good luck to Martinez and his Belgians in the 3rd place game. They have been fun to watch this World Cup and deserve to go home with something

Reactions: cgf

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

Well, the Belgians can say thanks to Adnan Januzaj, who hasn't delivered much for Belgium other than ensuring this match didn't turn out to be the World Cup Final.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
After a quiz I filled out with my buddy my 1. team was Belgium so I rooted for them this tournament. My buddy's was Croatia.

I hope Croatia loses tomorrow. :(

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know people really liked Varane in this match, but to me the French player that really stood out defensively (again) was Kante.

He dominated the first half & continued to be great. While Varane started great & then dominated. So Varane's great game will be more memorable in general.

Depends on how much gas Croatia has in the tank and which coach out-stupids the other...if they don't stumble over England. Cause they have the midfield & the talent to what Belgium couldn't today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turtleneck Plek

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The term 'anti-football' is completely overused. At this point it just means a team that defended well.

Agreed. I continue to believe that DD is limiting his team by playing almost exclusively on the counter; but they are far from anti-football.
I didn't watch the match, so I really can't comment. But let me pose this question...

If we replace France with Mourinho's United, would people on this board be complaining about the style of play?

Yes. Mourinho's teams play a much more negative style than this France team...even if I have my gripes with DD.
I can read. You're just not coherent in your argument.

That's an interesting phrasing for not adhering to the strawmen you would prefer to address. But please make something else up that you think is ridiculous & would like to pretend that I said. It's really helping your argument by distracting people from the point that was being discussed.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And if France wins the World Cup. Everyone will remember how Belgium played the right way right? LOL give me a break.

*shrug* we do still remember Hungary 54, the dutch in 74, Brazil 82, Platini at the World Cup, etc. All failed to lift the trophy, but their football inspired more coaching innovations...and continue to do so...than the majority of winners. Hell even with west germany 74, people forget that the team actually played the exact same style as the dutch until the final, where we had to bunker against their onslaught.

Football is different from many other sports, especially NA sports, as there's much more romantic attachment to the "honorable death" than the "win at all costs" mentality that dominates the culture in Ice Hockey, Basketball & Concussionegg...I don't know shit about baseball but assume it's the same as other NA sports in terms of the culture of winning trumps all. That's why footballers are much more often described as artists or magicians when journalists or fans start to wax poetically, rather than as beasts or monsters, as you see with NHL-/NBA-/NFL-ers.

The belgians are salty af with this shade they're throwing at the french...especially after the way they beat Brazil...but in Football we actually do remember the courageous losers surprisingly well...especially at the WC...though the phenomenon does exist at the club level as well.

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I dunno why Hazard stopped making runs to expose Pavard in the 2nd half like he was doing in the 1st. He started dropping too deep and going centrally. It was a bit sad that all the Belgium attacks were running through him or KDB today, the other players were absent in attack (having a certain galon would've helped).

Also, Giroud's 'hold-up' play really isn't good enough to justify starting him at this point imo with that poor finishing. They might as well just start Mbappe in the middle and have a false 9 with Dembele. They'll be better off having more width to run against either Croatia/England.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Has anyone complaining about time wasting at the end of the game seen a football match before? Honest question lol

Hilarious yellow by Mbappe. Reminds me a bit of this from Drogba:

Reactions: CharlesPuck

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Meunier was a big loss for Belgium. Changed their tactics a bit and they couldn’t play the same way they did versus Brazil.

The yellow card rule should be adjusted. Maybe have it as 3 yellows accumulated and then you get suspended with cards wiping out at the semi final stage.

Good run by the Belgians.

France will be tough to knock off regardless of who they face in the Final, but in a one off, you never know.

Last edited:

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Damn, this hurts.

Four years ago we lacked the experience, and four years from now we'll probably be too old. This was our chance.

Italy may not have qualified for this WC, but it almost feels like we went out against them. A bunch of Italians, disguised as a French team. I think it's extremely ugly how they play, but it's also extremely effective and it gets them the results they want so props to them. You could see they paid a lot of attention to our game against Brazil. They had an air tight game plan today, though I didn't expect them to play THAT defensively.

Thought we played pretty well in the first half. Controlled the play for the most part and had a couple of good chances. The Lloris save on Alderweireld was fantastic. Second half was very frustrating. Some weird decisions by Martinez (subbed of Dembele way too late, shouldn't have subbed off Fellaini), lack of tempo, inacurate and nonchalant passing, and just not enough urgency overall. Looked like the boys were dead tired are something. Couple of ref decisions that didn't go our way, the blatant foul on Hazard right outside the box for one. Just a bad half where we fell back into our bad habits of the past.

Such a shame to lose against a team (I feel) wasn't any better than us, defended most of the game and decided the game on a corner kick.

The only thing left for me at this WC is hoping England lose tomorrow so we can kick their asses in the bronze medal game.
Today's Belgium reminds me of Portugal 15 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stray Wasp

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I don't really know what to say. I don't want to be overly critical of France, they just got to the WC final, but it does leave a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.
It's not just how the game went, both teams had their spells, but the whole thing has a very Italia 90 feel to it... A goal from a set piece followed by a time wasting bonanza.

Mbappe, for all his talent, is apparently doing a Neymar; between his antics vs Uruguay and last night, I don't think he's won himself many friends.
Mbappe falling over when being in the vicinity of anyone - and getting calls, and Hazard trying to play, and not getting calls whether he manages to continue play or not.... Bizarre.

Also, note to the ref... If the injury time says 6 minutes, but 4 are spent on blatant time wasting, you are allowed to extend the game longer.

Anyway, not the game I was hoping for, but congrats to France.
This Belgium team should have another contending run in them for Qatar 2022.

I do feel sorry for them (Belgium) but I think in large part it's their own fault.
I realize this system works defensively (especially with their "normal" starting 11) but their actual attacking play boils down to Lukaku holding it up for Hazard and KDB. The double pivot with Fellaini and Witsel is useless in build up play and you're basically asking Hazard to drop deep every time he wants the ball.
Meanwhile, you have KDB, a top-3 (top-5 at worst) midfielder in the world play so far up the pitch that he has no role in the build up play and sees the ball about 10 times per game.

Instead of refining the system and play in which the front 3 of Mertens, Hazard and Lukaku would be served by a midfield led by KDB, he backed out on that and went with double pivot in a 3-4-3.
It even worked with Meunier, but the build up play was never there, even vs Brazil.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Guys, if you thought this game sucked you don’t really like football/soccer. The game was at the very worst okay. This is what it looks like when both teams are more or less evenly matched in every area.

Complaining about players wasting time in a winning situation such as Mbappe (and SO many players before him) is either completely hypocritical or completely naive. I mean if a player doesn’t do that they’re not trying hard enough to win and that’s all there is to it.

I thought both teams played well enough. Hazard was good. KdB was more or less okay. Courtois was great. Belgium didn’t turn back into their usual choking selves imo. It’s just that the French side as a unit was too sound defensively. And Kante is WC MVP, I don’t even care about the final. I’d write more but I’m busy celebrating the win...
I agree with you, but the time wasting still sucks. From everyone. Grinding it out in the corner or line is ok. But milking standard situations always annoys me, even when my teams are doing it. It's not enough to ruin the victory, but I don't like it. And it should be pretty easy to get out if it's carded more often. Keep in mind, I am a guy who would like to see incorrect throw-in called as well. ;)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad