OT: Severe Weather Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Be careful driving this afternoon and evening... looks like we could be dealing with a good burst of moderate to heavy snow at times. Maybe 1-3, locally 4 inches on the grass in Nassau and western Suffolk.

While accumulations will be less on the roads, reduced visibility and slushy roads will certainly possible. Heck, if it comes down hard enough there could be accumulations on roads for a time.

Drive safe, rush hour is going to be rough for a lot of people I think

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Be careful driving this afternoon and evening... looks like we could be dealing with a good burst of moderate to heavy snow at times. Maybe 1-3, locally 4 inches on the grass in Nassau and western Suffolk.

While accumulations will be less on the roads, reduced visibility and slushy roads will certainly possible. Heck, if it comes down hard enough there could be accumulations on roads for a time.

yeah i'm a bit more bullish on the snow than i was yesterday, seems like cold air is fairly locked in. especially northern nassau and suffolk, could come down pretty good for a while for sure. drive careful! NWS put up a Winter Weather Advisory for nassau- 1-3 inches of slop this evening...

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
yeah i'm a bit more bullish on the snow than i was yesterday, seems like cold air is fairly locked in. especially northern nassau and suffolk, could come down pretty good for a while for sure. drive careful! NWS put up a Winter Weather Advisory for nassau- 1-3 inches of slop this evening...
How much accumulation do I see when I leave Barclays Center tonight?

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007

Some weather geeks are saying this thing is gonna over perform big time here in central to northern nj. what are your thoughts noreaster?

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Some weather geeks are saying this thing is gonna over perform big time here in central to northern nj. what are your thoughts noreaster?

It already is over performing in a lot of areas.

The biggest over-performers will be in areas like central jersey and LI where snowfall was originally expected to be minimal. Places in northern NJ where a decent snowfall was already in the cards (I.e. higher elevations and the like) will still end up with a good event and may overperform

Never underestimate the power of warm air advection and cold air damming

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Left Amityville at 3:20 to go home to Bellerose It's now 4:53 and I'm just getting up to Lakeville Rd.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Left Amityville at 3:20 to go home to Bellerose It's now 4:53 and I'm just getting up to Lakeville Rd.
I live near the Bayside Marina. Took me 50 minutes to get to Bellerose LIRR.

Last edited:

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
I’m over in jersey. Normally a 30 min ride(~17 mi) up the parkway to get home. Gonna take me minimum 2 hours to get home, possibly even 3 hours at this rate as Waze keeps reporting new accidents along my route every 5-10 min or so constantly adding time to my trip.
Moved 1 block in the last 20 min and still in standstill traffic. Still another 11 mi to go.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
The rates in this storm were absurd. Normally the snow would melt on the roads here on LI, but it snowed so heavily it kept temperatures down and it simply outpaced the ability for the snow to melt.

Stay safe everyone

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Flight delayed 3 times already, so I just rescheduled for tomorrow. I've been burned with last minute cancellations after multiple delays before.

On the bright side, I get to watch the whole game tonight.

beLIever

Mar 5, 2011
New York
Power out to my apartment in Mineola - didn't think we had enough weather going on for that. Gonna stay at work in NYC and watch the game here...

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Roads were awful tonight leaving work around 6:25. Town of Brookhaven definitely wasn't expecting this.
Definitely not to this degree, cold air just wouldn’t be dislodged. That, combined with insane snowfall rates which overcame the melting rate right at rush hour all combined to create a dangerous situation

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
Perfect day to jump on the subway to get to the hockey game.

God bless the Barclays Center!
I wasn't risking what the MTA had planned, and my horrible commute straight home from work justified my decision.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Nothing better in NYC than an Irish pub on a snowy day.It makes the shit show that is the daily grind just melt away. Just spent a few to many hours in the Molly Wee on 30th an 8th. Great drinks , great food ,the Isles on the tube , a short walk to Penn and a not crowded train home because all the worrywarts left early today to beat the snow . If Mother Nature gives you slush you make a snow cone.

LGI

beLIever

Mar 5, 2011
New York
Forgive me for bumping this thread, folks, but I have been hearing of possible snow on Sunday, and as of now I have to be out of town over the weekend and will be flying back on Sunday, but also have an elderly parent whom I have to get to the doctor's early on Monday.

I trust the weather folks on this board more than I do pretty much anywhere else. How likely is this snow they're muttering about on the Weather Channel?

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Forgive me for bumping this thread, folks, but I have been hearing of possible snow on Sunday, and as of now I have to be out of town over the weekend and will be flying back on Sunday, but also have an elderly parent whom I have to get to the doctor's early on Monday.

I trust the weather folks on this board more than I do pretty much anywhere else. How likely is this snow they're muttering about on the Weather Channel?
It’s too early to get into specific details, but there is a reason it’s being mentioned

All of the ingredients will be there for a coastal storm, and potentially a strong one at that.

The first is a large piece of energy off the coast of California, which will move onshore late Thursday or early Friday. From there, how that piece of energy progresses eastward (speed, direction) And how well it stays together will dictate whether it’s one big storm or two smaller, albeit potentially smaller storms and whether they will simply slide out to sea or have a chance of coming up the coast

The next key pieces are several pieces of energy which will rotate through Canada over the next several days. The first several will act to reinforce a trough over the Northeastern US, the stronger of which would result in the storm being forced south. If this trough is weaker or moves out of the way faster, it would result in a better chance of the storm coming up the coast

After that, there’s a couple of pieces of energy which may try to phase with the piece which will move over California. If these can phase in completely and cleanly, it would do a few important things. They would slow the system’s progression, strengthen it, and provide a better source of cold air. If it’s a miss, however, it’s more likely to slide out to sea.

One of the biggest problems is that the source region of these features isn’t exactly filled with good observations. Aircraft and satellite provide a good bit of data, but Weather balloons are better. Unfortunately, there aren’t many of those over northern Canada and the Pacific where these features are coming from lol. Once they move over the US we will be able to sample them better which may help.

The point is, there’s definitely a reason to watch this weekend, as all the pieces are there. It’s just way too early to determine the track and impact from any potential system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad