OT: Severe Weather Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
yeah, and the US model shifted pretty dramatically south this morning, had the storm over the OBX for days, now plows it right into wilmington...so if that verifies that lessens your effects

And it puts on the brakes as it's about to make landfall...gonna need an ark getting back here. :(

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
yeah, and the US model shifted pretty dramatically south this morning, had the storm over the OBX for days, now plows it right into wilmington...so if that verifies that lessens your effects
What the GFS and ECMWF show verbatim has to be basically an absolute worst case scenario for locales in coastal southeastern NC. Potential for Powerful onshore winds for a day plus perhaps 40” of rain? The eyewall would just sit in the same spot if it stalled like that.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Our experts are sorely missed right now. No Sparky comments .
Just hope everyone got out of there days ago.

Peace to all.

LGI

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I have family on Emerald Isle. Didn’t evacuate. They don’t leave for category 3 or less. Lost a couple trees, most trees stripped bare. Flood water about 8 feet above sea level, as of 3 pm this afternoon. Wind not that bad. Raining like all hell, they said though. Weather map showed they were getting hammered by the yellow and red bands non-stop.

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Alot of trees down in Wilmington also. Haven't heard from my neighbors since this morning when they said the neighborhood held up pretty well. Hoping all is well. Going to be hell getting back (from Atlanta).

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Please let us know how you make out. I got back to Myrtle last night, no issues and still have power.

Thanks! Wilmington is completely cut off at the moment. I probably won't be able to try to get back until mid-week the earliest. People have tried, but all roads leading to are either flooded, blocked, or are sink holes. Gas is also scarce. So I could get there...get stuck and then run out of gas. Just a bad situation.

It's pretty similar to Harvey in Texas...the rain just didnt stop and 10-30 inches fell across the region. My neighbor went in my house to check for damage, and I've got a leak in the attic. I think it's where the bracket to the satellite dish is. Hopefully, that's the extent of it...I just want to get home (as long as the power turns back on, of course).

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Thanks! Wilmington is completely cut off at the moment. I probably won't be able to try to get back until mid-week the earliest. People have tried, but all roads leading to are either flooded, blocked, or are sink holes. Gas is also scarce. So I could get there...get stuck and then run out of gas. Just a bad situation.

It's pretty similar to Harvey in Texas...the rain just didnt stop and 10-30 inches fell across the region. My neighbor went in my house to check for damage, and I've got a leak in the attic. I think it's where the bracket to the satellite dish is. Hopefully, that's the extent of it...I just want to get home (as long as the power turns back on, of course).
Good luck with everything brother. Hopefully the leak is the worst of it and all friends, family, neighbors, etc came through relatively unscathed.

Reactions: OpAck

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)

I'll be thinking about you, hope all goes well when you can get back.

Reactions: OpAck

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Hello all! Just wanted to give a heads up, with a nor’easter coming up the coast this Thursday we could see our first snowfall of the season... doesn’t look like a big snowstorm by any means, but it will have bad timing starting a little before the evening rush hour.

Precipitation starts as snow before mixing sleet, then rain before changing to rain.

Accumulations will be tough to figure out exactly, because it will depend a lot on how quickly the lower levels of the atmosphere saturate (its a very dry, cold airmass) and how quickly it mixes with sleet and rain

If it comes down hard enough (which can sometimes happen in these warm air advection type snows) we could see a couple of inches, though unless it comes down like a banshee it would likely be mainly confined to grass, car tops, trees

Just wanted to give the heads up. Keep an eye on the weather. While we’ve been through much worse, it’s the first wintry precipitation of the year during evening rush hour it could be a worse commute than normal

The most likely scenario at this point is wet roads and maybe a slushy 1/2”-1” on the grass and car tops, but worth watching nonetheless

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I always get a sinking feeling in my gut when this thread gets bumped to the top.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I always get a sinking feeling in my gut when this thread gets bumped to the top.
Certainly don’t mean to cause a stir, especially for this storm. If it weren’t the first of the year and happening during rush-hour it wouldn’t even be notable for us barring something crazy and unforeseen happening

Just wanted to give a heads up for our first dose of winter for the season

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Certainly don’t mean to cause a stir, especially for this storm. If it weren’t the first of the year and happening during rush-hour it wouldn’t even be notable for us barring something crazy and unforeseen happening

Just wanted to give a heads up for our first dose of winter for the season
Not your fault. I appreciate this thread a lot. I just get sick of the increasingly long New York winters.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Any indication on how this could potentially impact an 8PM flight on Thursday?
Out of where? Most, if not all, of th the Island will more than likely be rain at that point, but it will be breezy and could be raining heavily. I’m no good at guessing what the airlines do though, so I’m not much help in that department lol

With regards to this storm how much snow and how quickly it turns to rain will be very tenuous and will be based largely on surface wind directions. The more northerly the component, the more/longer its snow and sleet. If it turns east right off the bat, however, it’s probably just a bit of snow/sleet than rain.

If I had to guess at this point, I’d say a slushy coating to 1/2”, maybe 1” on like Janes hill or something in NW Suffolk on grass, car tops, etc. for western LI away from the shore then rain. The one caveat is that Cold Air Damming tends to be underdone on the models. Should that happen and it stays colder longer we could be dealing with wintry precipitation. That’s my one concern with this storm. If that happens, it turns into a snow to prolonged sleet to rain, which is no fun

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Out of where? Most, if not all, of th the Island will more than likely be rain at that point, but it will be breezy and could be raining heavily. I’m no good at guessing what the airlines do though, so I’m not much help in that department lol

With regards to this storm how much snow and how quickly it turns to rain will be very tenuous and will be based largely on surface wind directions. The more northerly the component, the more/longer its snow and sleet. If it turns east right off the bat, however, it’s probably just a bit of snow/sleet than rain.

If I had to guess at this point, I’d say a slushy coating to 1/2”, maybe 1” on like Janes hill or something in NW Suffolk on grass, car tops, etc. for western LI away from the shore then rain. The one caveat is that Cold Air Damming tends to be underdone on the models. Should that happen and it stays colder longer we could be dealing with wintry precipitation. That’s my one concern with this storm. If that happens, it turns into a snow to prolonged sleet to rain, which is no fun

Delays from visibility and de-icing would be more of a concern than anything falling from the sky, no?

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
There are few things in life that give me joy like getting a new set of snow tires on my wife's car and watching her drive down our snowy driveway in the morning.... which is what happened today.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I just got the snow blower tuned up and filled with gas. So that means no snow tomorrow.

Just 2 weeks ago, in a rare case of planning ahead, I bought a monster 2 stage to add to my trusty single stage. Bring it on.

Reactions: MJF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad