WJC: Several Swedish players and coaches suspended for their conduct during WJC medal ceremonies

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Serves him right for acting like a little spoiled kid.

I Think they should change the cermony and let all players throw there silvermedals to the crowd. A ceLIASbration!

A kid any team should have in there team.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Don't really mind them punishing players and staff who don't follow the rules, but the rules have to apply to everyone. I highly doubt anyone of these player were informed about this. Suspending them is a bit extreme, a fine would have been more appropriate.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Having ceremonies for 2nd and 3rd place medals is ridiculous. And it's total European pretension to then get all righteous about anyone who dares to not take part in their silly theatrics. Shows how arrogant the bureaucrats running the IIHF are to drop suspension hammers on anyone daring to point this out. We're not talking about a running race with 100 competitors where finishing 2nd or 3rd is an accomplishment, it's a 10 day tournament where there's only maybe 5 teams with a chance to win so it's basically just champion or nothing. Even in major league pro sports where it's much harder to win a league championship there's no ceremony for 2nd place, the teams shake hands quickly then the loser leaves the play surface back to their dressing room.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
As someone commented already, how the hell is it possible to get suspended for several games just for holding your medal in your own hand...meanwhile Znaroks getting one game for death threats?

I can better understand getting suspended for throwing your medal into the stands. That's disrespectful. However, these are kids and they are emotional. I don't think I was very mature at all at that age :eyeroll:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Next time celibrate more than the goldmedal team. Take over the show. You cant suspend someone for that.

The Russian Rocket

Nov 18, 2017
I don't know if the subject has already been touched on, but I still find it unbelievable that Lias Andersson even got to play for team Sweden in these championships. He got an suspension for that ridiculous stunt at the junior champs and somehow the Swedes used their influence in the cabinets and got his suspension moved to 2019 championships, absolutely laughable. Throwing that silver medal to crowd was about one of the most disrespectful things to do, not only towards the winning team, but also towards the game itself.

Reactions: kenito7

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I don't know if the subject has already been touched on, but I still find it unbelievable that Lias Andersson even got to play for team Sweden in these championships. He got an suspension for that ridiculous stunt at the junior champs and somehow the Swedes used their influence in the cabinets and got his suspension moved to 2019 championships, absolutely laughable. Throwing that silver medal to crowd was about one of the most disrespectful things to do, not only towards the winning team, but also towards the game itself.
What? He first got a suspension for wjc 2019 which later moved to whc 2019. What influence?

And talk about overreacting. What suspensions did canada get in the past for breaking ankles on purpose?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I don't know if the subject has already been touched on...
The biggest thing for me about this sentiment is how the hell did he disrespect the winning team? He threw the medal but stuck through the Canadian anthem, and lined up to shake hands with the winning team. Compare that to the russian team at 2015 worlds where the Russians left the ice as soon as they lost. Now that's what I call disrespectful.

Reactions: ecemleafs

The Russian Rocket

Nov 18, 2017
What? He first got a suspension for wjc 2019 which later moved to whc 2019. What influence?
He is uneligible for the 2019 wjc do to his age, and so the suspension moved directly to next whc, which is this year, but somehow it was moved for next year. The suspension was quite clearly for IIHF competitions, and on effect immediately

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
He is uneligible for the 2019 wjc do to his age, and so the suspension moved directly to next whc, which is this year, but somehow it was moved for next year. The suspension was quite clearly for IIHF competitions, and on effect immediately
You just cant hand out suspensions 4 months later. IIHF is a joke and controlled by canadas influence.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Well I completely agree on IIHF being a joke and influenced by Canada. They have zero power against NHL, that says it all.
So we agree on something.

Imagine ovechkin throwing a dirty hit and then nhl announces 4 months later that he gets suspended.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
IIHF vicesecretary Kalervo "The Hut" Kummola said that the verdicts are "childishly clumsy". He agrees on that players should be suspended for their unsportsmanlike behaviour but he also said the disciplinary committee doesn't really have "hockey people". He was surprised to see that one Swedish player playing in this tournament.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
if sweden wins gold iihf might change the verdict again and claim the gold was cheating because lias andersson was playing and his ban should have been this whc not the next one.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
To suspend Lias a game or two is fine, there is a rule and he broke it in a rather obvious way. The others shouldn't be punished, thats just childish. IIHF should simply contact the different countries specifying that from now on they will take these rules very serious in the future.

I didn´t really see Lias as being disrespectful. He didn't lose his temper, he didn´t say anything or behaved bad in any way. He simply gave the medal away (he didn't throw it randomly into the crowds) during the ceremony which was a breach of the rules. There is also no need for this to take 4 months to evaluate. He should have been suspended a couple of games in this years WHC and that should have been it.

Reactions: Jablkon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->