WJC: Several Swedish players and coaches suspended for their conduct during WJC medal ceremonies

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
IIHF is a joke, suspending players who aren't ineligible for the tournament. They no doubt did that on purpose, they aren't serious about suspending players. Such a fake message, IIHF trying to look tough but you can see through them that they are truly *****es.

I don't care if they suspend anyone or not, but trying to act tough is just stupid.

Especially cherry picking as to when Dahlin would be suspended.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Can't believe people are whining about symbolic punishments for poor etiquette.

Yeah you're right of course. Its just some kind of message, it may seem silly, but they still want to some make some kind of statement, we will just have to leave it there.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Now the interesting part is, will they continue to suspend players and fine federations if the players don't wear the medals all the way to the dressing room? Regardless of the nationality of the players and if they are stars?

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
If this is the rule and has been for a long time , why implement it now ? And the punishment scale... Thats were they lost all trust.
Hope next silverteam does the same, but only the players that cant be punished To force smarter rules.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
I'm waiting for Carter Hart's suspension from the 2017 final in the WJC. He isn't wearing his medal while leaving the ice, see 3:28:00 in to;
Disrespectful. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Habs76

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Can't believe people are whining about symbolic punishments for poor etiquette.
So if you are charged for drunk driving, but you didn't drive drunk, you're whining? Ok. How about giving these ridiculous, symbolic punishments out of the blue to the right players, as a start?

And if they don't continue to enforce these rules from now on, well... IIHF will look like complete morons.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
So if you are charged for drunk driving, but you didn't drive drunk, you're whining? Ok. How about giving these ridiculous, symbolic punishments out of the blue to the right players, as a start?

And if they don't continue to enforce these rules from now on, well... IIHF will look like complete morons.

The IIHF already looks like a bunch of morons with this decision. As for your analogy, if you are charged with drunk driving (and you did drink some before driving) but, importantly, the punishment has literally no impact on you then yes don't bother whining about it. It's as if you were drunk (or at least you drank something) driving in your car and the punishment is that you can't drive an 18 wheel truck for the next year. Who cares since you weren't going to do that anyway?

I suppose it is unfortunate for the backup goaltender and I hope that he Swedish hockey authorities fight this ridiculous decision on his behalf.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The IIHF already looks like a bunch of morons with this decision. As for your analogy, if you are charged with drunk driving (and you did drink some before driving) but, importantly, the punishment has literally no impact on you then yes don't bother whining about it. It's as if you were drunk (or at least you drank something) driving in your car and the punishment is that you can't drive an 18 wheel truck for the next year. Who cares since you weren't going to do that anyway?

I suppose it is unfortunate for the backup goaltender and I hope that he Swedish hockey authorities fight this ridiculous decision on his behalf.
You don't get it. If you drove a car, but didn't drink, you're not supposed to be charged with drunk driving. That was the whole point. If IIHF handles out suspensions, at least they can get the names right and not pull them out of a hat.
Whatever else one might observe, the IIHF certainly doesn't act in haste.
And they still didn't get it right.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It will be interesting to see if the IIHF does this next time since they hadn't up until now despite numerous, sometimes far more notable, such things in the past. Either way the token suspensions are pretty amusing, not to mention how they didn't even get some of the players right.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Andersson is too old to play in the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship.
Jonsson is too old to play in the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship.
Boqvist is too old to play in the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship.
Dahlin is too old to play in the 2019 Ice Hockey U18 World Championship.

Poor Eriksson Ek, though.
That's the genius of the decisions, though! An appearance of consequences meted out, yet a near complete avoidance of any actual consequences.

Those Europeans sure are smooth.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You don't get it. If you drove a car, but didn't drink, you're not supposed to be charged with drunk driving. That was the whole point. If IIHF handles out suspensions, at least they can get the names right and not pull them out of a hat.

I do get it - the whining for the players (possibly except for the goaltender) is idiotic because the suspension is meaningless. They may as well be suspended from the women's world championship. Additionally, as far as I know some (if not all) of the players did in fact do what they are accused of. Now, it is indeed a stupid thing to punish players for what they do with their own medals, but that becomes largely irrelevant when the punishment for these players (other than the one goaltender) is nonexistent.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
99% sure there were some US players who took their medals off after the u18 final a couple days ago. It's not what they came to get, why should they wear it?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
****ing ******ed.

I understand Andersson getting suspended because of all the Canadians that are crying, but the rest is just ridiculous. Oh well, international hockey has sadly been a complete and utter joke for a long time now.

What an asinine comment, all the Canadians crying? You are out of line.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
What an asinine comment, all the Canadians crying? You are out of line.

I think you are reading it wrong. It's not ALL Canadians that are crying... as in every single citizen of the country is crying. Rather, it's that all of the criers are Canadians.

And given that you seem to support the overly sensitive crying by a Canadian senator about American commentators not using terminology he likes... I'd say you are taking these things much too seriously.

Reactions: felixpettersson

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Simply put out a letter to all teams/federations to tell players in the future not to take off their medals while on the ice. Simple as that. Having suspensions that aren't legit make the IIHF look like idiots.

Reactions: DPHawk and biotk

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
What it has to do with it? How about if a disciplinary committee used something else than a pair of dice and some suspected bribary markers, compared to some actual awareness what the heck the board did 2 years ago, yet last week, before taking a decision? How about having some professionalism before what you do and a brain? Is that too much to ask? Some actual principles, really, to actually look like a legit federation?

Russian men's team leaves the medal ceremony entirely. Disciplinary action: A fine.
Alleged Canadian female player (I haven't seen it myself) takes off her medal during the medal ceremony. Disciplinary action: What?
Russian coach makes a death threat to another coach. Discplinary action: 1 game suspension.
A couple of Swedish junior players take off their medals during the ceremony. Disciplinary action: Suspend the wrong players - for 3 times as many games than a death threat from an adult national coach - the coaches and a fine.

Ok. My problem is the IIHF is garbage. "Violated IIHF standards and got discplined for it." Yeah, sure, but do you have any depth to bring to the discussion? They did violate the rules, but how about some perspective here? What they did was not honorary, but this? Compared to the rest? Junior players?

Do I have to laugh, really loud at this incompetence?

Russian coach was even allowed to sit in audience and talk to bench with a walkie-talkie (if this is the Oleg Znarok throat cutting incident being referred).

The punishment is slightly more than symbolic, though.. if the players do this again they will be repeat offenders.

I personally agree with the rationale for the suspensions. If they suspended wrong people that’s just stupid, though.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Simply put out a letter to all teams/federations to tell players in the future not to take off their medals while on the ice. Simple as that. Having suspensions that aren't legit make the IIHF look like idiots.

We are in minority but I agree with you. I understand that most seem to think it was a good decision -- but to be honest for me its so dumb I don't know what to think. Dahlin suspended for taking of the medal when skating off.

The idiocy of it for me is perfectly illustrated by the length of the suspensions if nothing else. If you come to the conclusion that no other remedy is sufficient other than a suspension -- how on earth can you feel that 1 game is not enough but 2 games are warranted?

Its a joke.

And now they come back and make the suspensions more severe?

I couldn't stop my self from dropping an email to the chairman, [email protected], asking what they are doing.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Haha but he get to play this WC. He might not be able to play next year anyway. Could be in the playoffs(not likely) or in AHL.

Ok now go back in time and fine every player who held there medals in there hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->