WJC: Several Swedish players and coaches suspended for their conduct during WJC medal ceremonies

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
What's really absurd is that Lias Andersson (I think he's the only one?) is about to take part in another IIHF event, the Senior WHC.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Well that's beyond dumb.

The medals belong to the players, they can do with them what they wish. I've seen many, MANY kids (yes, these are kids) on losing teams at the ceremonies take their silver medals off or refuse to wear them. I don't blame them, losing a gold medal game has to be a crushing experience.

To suspend them for this is asinine.

IIHF is just crying about some dog and pony show and how everyone should just "straighten up and fly right", it's nonsense.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Still amazes me that the IIHF have suspended the wrong players and no media outlet have picked that up yet.

Lundeström dodged a bullet, he is eligible for next years tournament:

Dahlin was on the other hand suspended for not wearing his medal:

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yet another corrupt sporting governing body.

They've embarrassed themselves yet again. Not surprised.

Nothing corrupt about this, just stupid kids who don't understand the concept of sportmanship and professionalism.

By taking off the silver medals during the closing ceremony of the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Junior Championship immediately after the medals had been placed around their necks, the players in question violated Championship Regulations Article 5.5.8 of the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Junior Championship, according to which the silver medals are placed by IIHF representatives around the necks of the players and team officials and have to be worn around the neck in respectful manner for the duration of the closing ceremony and the following post-game mixed zone and media conference procedures.

“Taking off the silver medals presented to the players shows not only the disrespect against the spectators and the organizers of the championship, but also the disrespect against their opponents and winners of the championship. The fact, that the players afterwards have apologized for their behavior and have assured that they had no intentions to be disrespectful to anyone, does not excuse the actions.”

“The players have by their actions shown a lack of self-control, which cannot be accepted for a player playing at that level in an important championship. It indicates that they have developed wrong ambitions where only the first place counts, which is absolutely in contradiction to the ideas and values of sport. The actions of the players have to be considered as unsportsmanlike and as a breach of conduct that brings the sport of ice hockey into disrepute; they are not compatible with the idea of sport as a fair competition between the teams involved in order to determine the best team of the tournament. The actions in question cannot be excused by disappointment or even frustration not to have won the championship. Losing a game is part of any competition and of the sport of ice hockey, and does not excuse any unfair and unsportsmanlike behavior; to be ‘frustrated’ by the loss of a game is not the right attitude, even at the player’s age.”

The Panel is of the opinion that a suspension for two games imposed on Jonsson, Boqvist, Dahlin, and Eriksson Ek is necessary and adequate. Concerning player Andersson, the Panel is of the opinion that a suspension of four games is necessary, considering his position as captain of the team who should be an example in his behavior for his teammates and the fact that he not only took the medal off his neck, though he had been warned, not to do so, but also tossed it into the stands, demonstrating unsportsmanlike contempt for the award to everybody in the arena and on TV.

Suspending the wrong players on the other hand is just typical IIHF. :facepalm: Ever since the Sikora case they manage to make completely wrong decisions. Kummola better raise some hell over there.

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
What does that have to do with this? I am so sick of people like you trying to use everything under the sun to validate your point. These players violated IIHF standards and got disciplined because of it. Do what these players are going to do, move on. Stop trying to justify it or use other situations as comparable.
What it has to do with it? How about if a disciplinary committee used something else than a pair of dice and some suspected bribary markers, compared to some actual awareness what the heck the board did 2 years ago, yet last week, before taking a decision? How about having some professionalism before what you do and a brain? Is that too much to ask? Some actual principles, really, to actually look like a legit federation?

Russian men's team leaves the medal ceremony entirely. Disciplinary action: A fine.
Alleged Canadian female player (I haven't seen it myself) takes off her medal during the medal ceremony. Disciplinary action: What?
Russian coach makes a death threat to another coach. Discplinary action: 1 game suspension.
A couple of Swedish junior players take off their medals during the ceremony. Disciplinary action: Suspend the wrong players - for 3 times as many games than a death threat from an adult national coach - the coaches and a fine.

Ok. My problem is the IIHF is garbage. "Violated IIHF standards and got discplined for it." Yeah, sure, but do you have any depth to bring to the discussion? They did violate the rules, but how about some perspective here? What they did was not honorary, but this? Compared to the rest? Junior players?

Do I have to laugh, really loud at this incompetence?

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
What it has to do with it? How about if a disciplinary committee used something else than a pair of dice and some suspected bribary markers, instead of some actual awareness what the heck the board did 2 years ago, yet last week, before taking a decision? How about having some professionalism before what you do and a brain? Is that too much to ask? Some actual principles, really, to actually look like a legit federation?

Russian men's team leaves the medal ceremony entirely. Disciplinary action: A fine.
Alleged Canadian female player (I haven't seen it myself) takes off her medal during the medal ceremony. Disciplinary action: What?
Russian coach makes a death threat to another coach. Discplinary action: 1 game suspension.
A couple of Swedish junior players take off their medals during the ceremony. Disciplinary action: Suspend the wrong players - for 3 times as many games than a death threat from an adult national coach - the coaches and a fine.

Ok. My problem is the IIHF is garbage. "Violated IIHF standards and got discplined for it." Yeah, sure, but do you have any depth to bring to the discussion? They did violate the rules, but how about some perspective here?

Pretty sure there were a few Canadians who didn't wear their silver medals after that collapse vs. Russia, 5-6 years ago. Not a peep from the IIHF at the time.

It probably happens every year. Why the IIHF is crying about it now, I haven't the slightest clue. :help:

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Pretty sure there were a few Canadians who didn't wear their silver medals after that collapse vs. Russia, 5-6 years ago. Not a peep from the IIHF at the time.

It probably happens every year. Why the IIHF is crying about it now, I haven't the slightest clue. :help:
Well this time someone threw their medal into the crowd. Maybe they said enough is enough.

Also, do you have evidence of Canada doing it or are you just making wild accusations?

Reactions: Oryxo

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Well this time someone threw their medal into the crowd. Maybe they said enough is enough.

Also, do you have evidence of Canada doing it or are you just making wild accusations?

Since you asked, I remember watching the recap and caught Gord Miller mention Ellis specifically, at around the 10:15 mark:

Given the gravity of the situation, I speculated that Ellis wasn't the only one keen on wearing that medal at the time. Maybe I'm right, maybe not. Didn't analyze the footage with a fine tooth comb. :laugh:

Now, as I said prior, I see nothing wrong with Ellis's actions at all. He could've chucked his into the stands and I wouldn't have cared. His medal, his call.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

There absolutely were. It's just a ridiculous thing to get punished for.

0dnruG2.png

And last year
liD7rb2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Chimp and Zaddy

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Since you asked, I remember watching the recap and caught Gord Miller mention Ellis specifically, at around the 10:15 mark:

Given the gravity of the situation, I speculated that Ellis wasn't the only one keen on wearing that medal at the time. Maybe I'm right, maybe not. Didn't analyze the footage with a fine tooth comb. :laugh:

Now, as I said prior, I see nothing wrong with Ellis's actions at all. He could've chucked his into the stands and I wouldn't have cared. His medal, his call.

Starting to look like this was a situation that was getting out of control. So they’ve put their foot down.

I, on the other hand think people should stop enabling petulance. Do we really want people throwing temper tantrums every time things don’t go their way? I’ve lost championships and otherwise had things not go my way. I don’t see where that gives me the right to act like a 6 year old.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Starting to look like this was a situation that was getting out of control. So they’ve put their foot down.

I, on the other hand think people should stop enabling petulance. Do we really want people throwing temper tantrums every time things don’t go their way? I’ve lost championships and otherwise had things not go my way. I don’t see where that gives me the right to act like a 6 year old.

Where do you draw the line, though?

Remember Sean Avery and Martin Brodeur not shaking hands in the playoffs? Or Milan Lucic with some choice words for Andrew Shaw (I think?) after their series. Should the league have fined these players for "not respecting the integrity of the game"? Or are players allowed to show emotion how they see fit?

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden

And who gives IIHF the right to act like clowns and suspend the wrong players?

That said, its probably on purpose they "punished" players who wont be playing any more JRs anyway.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Where do you draw the line, though?

Remember Sean Avery and Martin Brodeur not shaking hands in the playoffs? Or Milan Lucic with some choice words for Andrew Shaw (I think?) after their series. Should the league have fined these players for "not respecting the integrity of the game"? Or are players allowed to show emotion how they see fit?
Where to draw the line is always the million dollar question. A lot of the time you can only recognize that point once you’ve crossed it.

In you handshake scenario I wouldn’t have a problem. I love the tradition and the money goes to the players emergency fund anyway.

One thing to keep in mind is these kids are amateurs and kids and part of the minor hockey mantra is to teach sportsmanship and comportment.

It may have been nice if the IIHF said why they decided now was the time for action. It may clear up a lot of questions.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
And who gives IIHF the right to act like clowns and suspend the wrong players?

That said, its probably on purpose they "punished" players who wont be playing any more JRs anyway.
A) don’t conflate this with getting the wrong players.
B) I considered this but I would not want it on my record. So I would appeal that. Then again, I’d have been proud to win a silver for my country and acted accordingly.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
IIHF is a joke, suspending players who aren't ineligible for the tournament. They no doubt did that on purpose, they aren't serious about suspending players. Such a fake message, IIHF trying to look tough but you can see through them that they are truly p***yes.

I don't care if they suspend anyone or not, but trying to act tough is just stupid.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
IIHF is a joke, suspending players who aren't ineligible for the tournament. They no doubt did that on purpose, they aren't serious about suspending players. Such a fake message, IIHF trying to look tough but you can see through them that they are truly *****es.

I don't care if they suspend anyone or not, but trying to act tough is just stupid.

That is clearly the noteworthy thing about the story, and yet some people are angry on behalf of the Swedish players (who are suspended from games they would never play) or think that the IIHF is putting its foot down by suspending players from games that they weren't even eligible for. It's an incredibly ridiculous decision. That the IIHF did something so stupid (especially if it is the wrong players) and has acted inconsistently should surprise no one though I guess.

Arguably the suspension of the coaches actually has an impact, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the Swedish hockey establishment fights this and has the suspensions of the coaches rescinded.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
What I find interesting is that IIHF seem to hold kids to a higher standard than adult pros. The coach suspension if they took off their medals is harsh but not really arguable, although the suspension seem strange in light of previous behaviour of national coaches - see Znarok.

These are kids, facing what might have been their biggest disappointment ever. Kids do dumb things without thinking about the consequences. IIHF should have just let them off with a warning/fine and stated that the next time it happens they will come down like a ton of bricks.

Except for Eriksson-Ek it won't matter and the Swedish posters on HF can move on to tear the new coach for 'småkronorna' to shreds for picking the wrong player, employing the wrong strategy and generally being the dumbest human being alive :sarcasm:

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
It's just as stupid to give them suspensions as it were for them to undress the medals in the first place. I mean, it's only sport, you should be able to take the loss without acting like a brat.

Reactions: Oryxo and Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Window dressing but at least it's something.

The players, particularly Andersson looked like petulant children.

Yeah, but a long suspension lol? They are kids. And sure, Lias tossed a medal, I can live with that. Suspend him 4 games, what do I know.

But like a Rasmus Dahlin only took his off (wasn’t it also on the way off the ice?) and held it in the hand, is that worth a 2 game suspension???

I got so pissed off I had to email the chairman of the discipline committee Mr doctor doctor professor
[email protected]

Reading that decision they really destroyed these kids and describes it like they are some animals. What the heck, it’s kids...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Still amazes me that the IIHF have suspended the wrong players and no media outlet have picked that up yet.

Lundeström dodged a bullet, he is eligible for next years tournament:

Dahlin was on the other hand suspended for not wearing his medal:

It’s not the wrong player, they suspended Dahlin two games for taking off his medallion when skating of the ice. He had to wear it all the way to the dressing room.

Do you think he knew that was a suspendable action?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It's just as stupid to give them suspensions as it were for them to undress the medals in the first place. I mean, it's only sport, you should be able to take the loss without acting like a brat.

Yeah but they are kids. Professor professor doctor
[email protected] really commiting a character assassination on these kids aren’t a kid himself. Hadn’t just lost an important game, and as far as I know he hasn’t apologized — directly — after the suspensions too.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Where to draw the line is always the million dollar question. A lot of the time you can only recognize that point once you’ve crossed it.

In you handshake scenario I wouldn’t have a problem. I love the tradition and the money goes to the players emergency fund anyway.

One thing to keep in mind is these kids are amateurs and kids and part of the minor hockey mantra is to teach sportsmanship and comportment.

It may have been nice if the IIHF said why they decided now was the time for action. It may clear up a lot of questions.

Look I hear you.

But did you read the motivation? They made these kids out like they are extreme scumbags AND they gave them long suspensions. Dahlin was given a 2 game suspension for taking off the medallion skating of the ice.

How about a fine? And isn’t it enough to suspend a 17 y/o ONE game for taking of the medallion while skating off the ice? Why did they make it TWO games?

It’s real old pompous assholes wanting to push others down, nothing else.

Reactions: felixpettersson

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
It’s not the wrong player, they suspended Dahlin two games for taking off his medallion when skating of the ice. He had to wear it all the way to the dressing room.

Do you think he knew that was a suspendable action?

Okay but where is the suspension to Lundeström and Nylander? They didn't even wear theirs during the ceremony.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->