WJC: Several Swedish players and coaches suspended for their conduct during WJC medal ceremonies

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Meanwhile, Russia's men's team left the frigging ice after the final game vs Canada, before the Canadian anthem. They were fined, no suspensions. Ok. It's nice to see IIHF are adequate at having an even level at these kind of punishments. I mean, at least they didn't hold their medals in their hands when they consciously left the ceremony prematurely. That would've been really disrespectful.
Why did these suspensions get handed out now?
Didn't this happen months ago?
They were very, very busy and had so much video evidence to go through, you know. Maybe they needed time to see if Sweden would pay the traditional, requested bribe first.
"In the case of the players, immediately after the silver medal was placed around their necks and while still on the ice, all four players took the medals off and kept them in their hands for the remaining ceremony."

That's interesting... Look at Dahlin at 1:06, 2:26 and 5:32.

Lol! So they had all this time and still didn't get it right! Just how incompetent are they? So Dahlin essentially got suspended for doing nothing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Lol! So they had all this time and still didn't get it right! Just how incompetent are they? So Dahlin essentially got suspended for doing nothing?

They got more guys wrong. It seems they just randomly picked 5 Swedish players to suspend.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
What a fin farce. I get that Lias Andersson need a diciplinary action, but the rest, what did they do that was so horrid? A complete joke.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
I suspect they suspended the five players (except for Dahlin who everyone knows won't play another junior tournament in his life) because they are ineligble for any more juniors. That way they can appear tough and yet Sweden will (playerwise) be unaffected. If Sweden does appeal, I suspect they'll rescind the coaches suspension.

I actually seem to recall EK or Landeskog removing his silver medal on the ice during the last Olympics? Maybe I'm wrong. But EK did say he was going to put it up on ebay which is even more disrespectful if you want to go down that road.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Andersson is too old to play in the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship.
Jonsson is too old to play in the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship.
Boqvist is too old to play in the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship.
Dahlin is too old to play in the 2019 Ice Hockey U18 World Championship.

Poor Eriksson Ek, though.

This annoys me with out the Russians acted at the worlds they hosted 2 years--Kovechuck acted like a little spoiled brat and stormed off the ice

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
It'd be a better excuse to suspend Dahlin by bringing up the fact he tried to chop down the arena, he failed in doing so however, and now he'll be stuck in that arena for years to come.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Not even mad, it's honestly just funny. Russian coach got 1 game for a death threat and the Russian team only got a fine for leaving the ice during the anthem, all of which are far more disrespectful imo.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Didn’t answer my question.

“The suspensions will not go into effect for any player or coach participating in the upcoming 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship, but will be carried over for the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship or, in Dahlin’s case, the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship. As Dahlin was 17 at the time of the violation his suspension is applicable to the tournament in which his age group is applied.”

We’ll call that the “Dahlin Clause”. Why not the U20 ? What a joke.
A simple "no" would've done.

Disciplinary Panel Explanation on Coach Decisions

In the case of the coaches, head coach Tomas Monten and assistant coaches Nizze Landen and Henrik Stridh, immediately after the silver medal was placed around their necks and while still on the ice, took off their medals and put them into their pockets for the remaining time of the ceremony.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
What about the Canadian woman who took off her medal? Big suspension coming?

What does that have to do with this? I am so sick of people like you trying to use everything under the sun to validate your point. These players violated IIHF standards and got disciplined because of it. Do what these players are going to do, move on. Stop trying to justify it or use other situations as comparable.

Reactions: kenito7

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What does that have to do with this? I am so sick of people like you trying to use everything under the sun to validate your point. These players violated IIHF standards and got disciplined because of it. Do what these players are going to do, move on. Stop trying to justify it or use other situations as comparable.

These "standards" seem made up as they go along. Thats the issue. You seem to be all about defending a corrupt governing body.

Reactions: felixpettersson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad