Several rookie forwards enjoying early season success with Penguins' AHL affiliate

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
bryan_rust_pittsburgh_091314.jpg
Photo: Wilkes-Barre/Scanton Penguins forward and Pittsburgh Penguins prospect Bryan Rust is among the rookie goal-scoring leaders in the AHL so far in the 2014-15 season (courtesy of Mark Spowart/Icon Sportswire)

While the defensemen in the Pittsburgh Penguins organization have brought most of the talk as far as highly-touted prospects are concerned, several rookie forwards with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins – particularly those transitioning from college – are enjoying success at the pro-level through the first quarter of the 2014-15 season.

“It’s nice to be able to see those kids be able to come in and contribute right away,†AHL Penguins head coach John Hynes said after one of the team’s recent practices at the Toyota Sportsplex.… read more

The post Several rookie forwards enjoying early season success with Penguins’ AHL affiliate appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I am of the mind that one if not multiple young wingers should be getting cups of tea up here just to see how they fit while there is a winger shortage on this team.You still probably need to bring a guy in, but if they find one AHL guy who can contribute to the top 6 and that saves a second costly trade. Teams often think guys aren't ready and they prove them wrong....

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I am of the mind that one if not multiple young wingers should be getting cups of tea up here just to see how they fit while there is a winger shortage on this team.You still probably need to bring a guy in, but if they find one AHL guy who can contribute to the top 6 and that saves a second costly trade. Teams often think guys aren't ready and they prove them wrong....

I don't watch enough of WBS to know if any of these guys are close to ready, but I agree with the sentiment. When was the last time we gave a WBS player an honest cup of coffee in a top 6 role? When was the last time such a player earned a permanent roster spot? I literally can't recall the last one. I don't even recall the last time we gave somebody a shot.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I don't watch enough of WBS to know if any of these guys are close to ready, but I agree with the sentiment. When was the last time we gave a WBS player an honest cup of coffee in a top 6 role? When was the last time such a player earned a permanent roster spot? I literally can't recall the last one. I don't even recall the last time we gave somebody a shot.

pretty much unless they earn a spot during camp they have been non factors:shakehead. Give a Wilson or a Dea or Rust a shot... whats the worse that can happen? they cost you an almost meaningless game or two in December? Heck maybe guys getting that kind of shot would ignite a guy like Zlobin into upping his game like he did in the playoffs last year

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
We will a have a lot of turnover soon. It would be nice if they got a roster spot. Heaven forbid if a top 6 capable player was slotted in the bottom 6.

Kappy-Sid-Horny
Zlobin-Malkin-Bennett
Wing-Sundqvist-Wing
4th line

With there being several players being able to slot into the bottom 6 through WBS or FA. Ideally our first coming up gets up another top 6 capable wing.

Kiith Nabaal

Oct 11, 2013
When was the last time we gave a WBS player an honest cup of coffee in a top 6 role?

Last season. The answer to your next question is that they don't get permanent spots because of the lack of forwards drafted in the first and second round (or just a lack of those picks). Kapanen could be our first top six winger draft since Bennett. Personally I would like to see Kapanen in over the WBS guys in the top six.

Another thing you might want to avoid is almost what happened last year, and that is constantly giving Crosby/Malkin different wingers.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
We will a have a lot of turnover soon. It would be nice if they got a roster spot. Heaven forbid if a top 6 capable player was slotted in the bottom 6.

Kappy-Sid-Horny
Zlobin-Malkin-Bennett
Wing-Sundqvist-Wing
4th line

With there being several players being able to slot into the bottom 6 through WBS or FA. Ideally our first coming up gets up another top 6 capable wing.

I don't even think Zlobin is currently playing in the AHL. He's either hurt or getting Hynes'd so Kostopoulos can have more playing time (RESPECT VETERANS)

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I don't even think Zlobin is currently playing in the AHL. He's either hurt or getting Hynes'd so Kostopoulos can have more playing time (RESPECT VETERANS)

he's hurt i think

the thing with zlobin is, until his last junior season, he wasn't all that great in the regular season, right? he's a big game player. he deserves a look more than anyone, he just elevates his game so much when it matters.

penguins2946*

I'm expecting us to have a long term base of:

Kapanen-Crosby-Hornqvist
XXXX-Malkin-Bennett (assuming BB can stay healthy)
XXXX-Sundqvist-Rust
Uher-XXXX-XXXX

Sprinkle in whoever of Dea, Zlobin, Guentzel, Blueger, Wilson, and Archibald that don't end up being a bust.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA

Zlobin is hurt. And have I missed something regarding Hynes playing veterans over younger guys? I cannot remember him doing that in the time he has been with Wilkes-Barre. This is the first year he has had a true bunch of prospects with the team.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm expecting us to have a long term base of:

Kapanen-Crosby-Hornqvist
XXXX-Malkin-Bennett (assuming BB can stay healthy)
XXXX-Sundqvist-Rust
Uher-XXXX-XXXX

Sprinkle in whoever of Dea, Zlobin, Guentzel, Blueger, Wilson, and Archibald that don't end up being a bust.

Assuming Kapanen turns out to be everything we hope for, I love that top line.

Things with Malkin get a little merkier. He needs a Hornqvist...or a Neal if you will. Then we can fill in 3rd wheels as needed.

Would be nice to have Sutter stay long term and make him and Bennett part of a heck of a third line...but if not we need to cash in on him. His value right now is as high as its ever been. Sundqvists camp was encouraging too.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Zlobin is hurt. And have I missed something regarding Hynes playing veterans over younger guys? I cannot remember him doing that in the time he has been with Wilkes-Barre. This is the first year he has had a true bunch of prospects with the team.

Yeah, Hynes is a very fair coach, you get the ice time you deserve down there.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

We don't have any forwards who are ready, save Megna.

Rust MIGHT be ok IF we had serious injuries and ran out of bodies, but really he should stay down there. He's not good enough to supplant anyone in our line up, because he won't be an offensive contributor at the NHL level yet.

Wilson is not ready, period. I'm very excited about him, but he needs time. At least 1 more full season after this one.

Archibald was the one guy I thought may be a darkhorse to crack the Pens team this year, but that was before his injury. Him missing that time set him back, and he's nowhere near ready. IF he has a very strong finish to this season (and I actually thought after last year that he could be one of those guys who transitions to pro and is dominant right away), he may have a chance to crack the line up next year. But he's not ready now.

Dea, who is still a rake, has been a healthy scratch in the AHL. I don't know if he'll ever be an NHLer, but if he ever is, it's certainly not this year.

Kuhnhackl and Uher (the latter of whom is probably the closest to being able to be a 4th liner), still need to become even stronger and more dominant in their two-way roles before they're ready.

I'm excited about the players we have down there in terms of being guys who can potentially really fill out our bottom 6 or maybe bottom 9 in about 2-3 years. But none of them are ready now, and none of them have the chance to be a top line guy.

Wilson and Archibald are the only ones, besides Megna, to have the chance at a top-6 role in the future, and we're still SERIOUSLY lacking size in our organization. That's why I don't want to trade Sutter, and it's why we need to find a guy who has both SIZE and SKILL for our top 6 going forward. If we have Sutter + Sundqvist + someone else (like an E. Kane or Ladd or Wheeler or Coyle), that's what we really need to complement all of our other guys who are 5'11/6'0 or less.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Dea, who is still a rake, has been a healthy scratch in the AHL. I don't know if he'll ever be an NHLer, but if he ever is, it's certainly not this year.

Dea was scratched for a night because he took 4 minor penalties in one game, 2 of which led to goals. That was more of a message sending thing than a commentary on him playing poorly. He was also sent to the box to serve a penalty to Zatkoff, so Hynes obviously wasn't thrilled with his performance in that game.

After a night off, he was right back to playing his normal role in the top six and on the powerplay. Dea seems to only be able to play center, and he provides very little outside of scoring, so I doubt we'll see him in the NHL anytime soon.

I also think Uher is going to be ready soon, if he isn't already. He's looked very good on a line with Leblond and Farnham, not exactly offensive dynamos. He's got a real nasty edge to his game and he'll back it up, not to mention his versatility in being able to play all three forward positions and kill penalties.

It's a shame Payerl has looked so bad this year, he looked like he might be a diamond in the rough during his rookie year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad