Seventieslord's thought exercise on goalie talent

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
In other words, I left nothing at all out. As you provided no new information that's relevant.

Unpack this: He broke the save pct. record* while having a flat 2.00 GAA - the stats that you continue to cite, he put up the best ever* mark...best ever*. He was left off 13 and a third percent of the ballots and barely netted half the first place votes. Say it out loud and slowly to yourself: He broke the record* for save pct. (reminder: that's the stat you are smitten with), he broke the record* for save pct. and not a small number of NHL GMs didn't think he was a top-3 goalie in the league that record-breaking* season...and moreover, half of them didn't think he was the best goalie in the league that record-breaking* season...

There were 18 seasons of .929+ save pct. in the 15 seasons leading up to that one. There was one that was over .933 (Hasek '99...won the MVP, I'm sure you've heard). Thomas breaks that and distances himself from all comers and now you're gonna come along and downplay it by playing up the other also-rans? That's not gonna work...pick what side of the fence you're on, start a cohesive argument and go from there...you're tearing down your own argument before I can get even to them, it's not any fun...

Your last paragraph is at odds with your first, so I don't need to address. Again, just pick what you're trying to defend, get a case together, and get back to me...this wasn't fun because you provided no new relevant info and you tore down your own "argument" (charitable) before I could even get there...let me know, I'm around...

This is just sad.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You had me til this. I'm ok with anyone thinking Thomas is good...it's fine. I don't agree, but that's life...

The comparison to Hasek though does not jive with reality...they didn't play similarly. That's where I take exception. Again, this whole "non-butterfly goalies are this guy" thing needs to die...respectfully. Whether glass caskets catch on, well, remains to be seen...

Meh, they were both non-traditional for their time.

That’s all.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Only to people who don't know anything about goaltending...in that case, probably, yeah...

"ooh, look, save pct....shiny!"

I'm pretty sure Thomas' stats aren't a perfect representation of his ability, but still, you're basically calling all the NHL GMs idiots for voting him to win the Vezina twice, despite the fact that you're generally a pretty pro-establishment, pro-insider kind of guy.

BTW, thanks for starting this, I've been awaiting a time when I can dig in.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Thomas has 22 first place votes, Mason was the next highest with 3 first place votes. What on earth are you talking about?

How is that Thomas, that untalented bum had a .938 save percentage and an even 2.00 goals against meanwhile Rask, who you have ranked in in the second tier, oozing with talent, with the exact same team in front of him was only able to get a .918 save percentage and a 2.67 goals against? That's a huge difference despite the exact same team in front of them not to mention the dramatic difference in "talent" between these two.

How do you account for that?

this is actually a really good argument in favour of Cechmanek during his Philadelphia peak, too. You can blame team, coaching, defense all you like, but if a goalie is outperforming their backups that much, there's something there.

Not a huge Cechmanek fan. hated him actually, but he was good at stopping pucks for a while.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I'm pretty sure Thomas' stats aren't a perfect representation of his ability, but still, you're basically calling all the NHL GMs idiots for voting him to win the Vezina twice, despite the fact that you're generally a pretty pro-establishment, pro-insider kind of guy.

I'm pretty sure of that too. Which is the only crack in the door I need to get a foot in...

NHL GMs aren't idiots...they're with me. See: 2011. They know...they just didn't have another choice really, particularly in 2009...that marshmellow Mason who got all of his career shutouts in like November of 2008 or whatever or, uh, I don't even remember the other guy right now...some Euro that it took a couple years to figure out and then he was useless, right? Backstrom, right? It doesn't matter...they just didn't have a choice. Post-Brodeur prime (though he still finds time to go to another Cup after years of horrific goalie matchups in the Final...rookie Ward vs. Roloson (until...), Giguere vs. Emery, Fleury vs. Osgood twice, Niemi vs Leighton, Thomas vs. Luongo...before it's finally salvaged with something useful in 2012 in Quick vs. 40 year old Brodeur...I don't think we're giving much credit to how weak the post-prime Brodeur, post-Roy, post-Hasek, post-Belfour era was for goaltending...allowing complete randos and rookies and journeymen to enter the spotlight...I'm just asking for someone to string together like 4 out of 5 years of not ******** their pants...I got Lundqvist, and I guess Luongo...who else could you reliably hitch a wagon too in this little window from 2006 to 2011...? No one comes to mind.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm a Montreal fan (so I've seen him play often), I know next to nothing about goalies (by far my weakest position), but I freaking loved Tim Thomas.Only goalie I enjoyed watching in the last 15 years, with perhaps Price but that came with a Montreal bias.

I'm not really making any point, I just wanted to say it.

Gotta admit it surprised me to read Mike Farkas trash Thomas's talent.I don't have any strong opinion on his talent, but the guy made it work and was spectacular (which I understand is often seen as a bad sign).

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.

NHL GMs do not benefit from filling out ballots so they take the path of least resistance.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm pretty sure of that too. Which is the only crack in the door I need to get a foot in...

NHL GMs aren't idiots...they're with me. See: 2011. They know...they just didn't have another choice really, particularly in 2009...that marshmellow Mason who got all of his career shutouts in like November of 2008 or whatever or, uh, I don't even remember the other guy right now...some Euro that it took a couple years to figure out and then he was useless, right? Backstrom, right? It doesn't matter...they just didn't have a choice. Post-Brodeur prime (though he still finds time to go to another Cup after years of horrific goalie matchups in the Final...rookie Ward vs. Roloson (until...), Giguere vs. Emery, Fleury vs. Osgood twice, Niemi vs Leighton, Thomas vs. Luongo...before it's finally salvaged with something useful in 2012 in Quick vs. 40 year old Brodeur...I don't think we're giving much credit to how weak the post-prime Brodeur, post-Roy, post-Hasek, post-Belfour era was for goaltending...allowing complete randos and rookies and journeymen to enter the spotlight...I'm just asking for someone to string together like 4 out of 5 years of not ******** their pants...I got Lundqvist, and I guess Luongo...who else could you reliably hitch a wagon too in this little window from 2006 to 2011...? No one comes to mind.

It seems like what you're saying is "look, I'm not saying he wasn't the best in the NHL that year.... he was.... but, it was such a bad year, there was no one else to choose!"

Correct me if I'm wrong. I want to understand what you really mean before I reply to this.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
So, the reason I asked you this in the first place, was to respond to this sentence:

Meh, maybe...I mean, let's say it's not tied directly to volume somehow...are we going to pretend like it's tied to talent all of a sudden (well, estupidos already do this) and not account for team effects and the like?

Until all appeals have been filed with the appellate and supreme courts, I believe the first part of this sentence is sufficiently addressed. There is no actual connection between shot volume and save percentage, either game-by-game (0.08), or on the aggregate (-.02) (and, the correlation between save percentage and win percentage is actually fairly high, as you may recall: 0.60). But you've submitted on that, far as I can tell.

When you said save percentage was not tied to talent, I wanted you to prove it. Because after all, save percentage is tied to winning, and goalie talent has to be tied to winning, so it's likely that save percentage and goalie talent are tied to eachother to some degree as well, in theory.

I wanted to know how you would rank the most-used goalies of the past 20 years, and then compare your list to their prime save percentages, compared to league average. Here's what I did:

I took those 50 goalies and reviewed their careers individually. In each case I viewed them at their best. 7 consecutive seasons. Whichever 7 seasons would yield the most favorable result to them, based on hockey-reference's GA%-, which essentially is just how many points away from the league average save percentage they were.

Then I took your list of 50 goalies based on tiers, and gave them skill rankings in each tier: 100, 97, 94, 91, 88, 85, 82, and 79. These numbers are completely arbitrary. They seemed logical to me, being that if the best in the league is a guy who's a 100, then replacement level must be somewhere around 75. In any case, I don't think it matters all that much because the question is, does a higher number in the prime save percentage column tend to mean a higher number in the Mike Farkas Skill Assessment column?

I believe that the answer is yes. The correlation that I determined was 0.49. It's not negative, it's not weak, on the other hand it cannot be described as "direct" or "powerful". I would lean towards "fairly strong" as a good descriptor of what this means. I'd say that jives pretty well with what I've found here: How to Interpret a Correlation Coefficient r - dummies

I think that it should also be noted, that if you put Tim Thomas in a skill range closer to where his numbers would indicate, such as in tier 2, the coefficient of correlation becomes 0.57. that's right, in a data set with 50 points, the fact that you put the guy with the third best numbers in the worst tier was enough to tip the correlation that much.

Here's a picture of the scatterplot. The fact that you have the goalies in tiers and not ranked one by one means that many of them end up in the same place vertically, which gives this an odd look... but the upward slope is visible for sure. although there are minor exceptions, look at the emptiness in the top-left and bottom right. You don't think anyone with crappy sv% is very good, and you don't think anyone with a great sv% is bad.... except for Tim Thomas, that is.

farkas.jpg

The other thing worth noting here is, all of these guys got into a lot of NHL games - that's exactly what the list was based on. Top-50 in the last 20 years. These were all pretty decent goalies, with only a few exceptions. Only six failed to post a save percentage above the league average over their best 7 consecutive seasons. If I asked you to rank the top-50 of the last 5 years, 20 of those would be below-league-average statistical goalies. The worst statistically in that time are Hiller, Scrivens, Markstrom, Ward, Niemi and Chad Johnston. I already know half those guys you don't like, and I have a feeling you're not fond of the other half. Meanwhile, on the other end... Price, Rask Bobrovsky, Luongo...

So, I believe that in a sample that doesn't have the selection bias that I introduced (only include guys that coaches saw fit to put into 366+ NHL games), the correlation between their numbers and your skill rating would be much, much higher. I don't know if I feel like testing that, plus now the purpose and methodology of the study has been explicity explained to you, which introduces the potential for your own bias, so I don't know if it would be that useful to all of us.

In any case, I think that what this shows is that you're not giving save percentage due credit for what it says about goalies. It agrees with you much more often than it doesn't.

And lastly, keep in mind that this is based just on raw save percentage, the best "simple" goaltending statistic that you'll find on the back of a hockey card. But, many people smarter than either of us have done great things with save percentage such as: shot quality adjustment, special teams adjustment, save percentage when tied or winning by one, and so on. I believe that for the most part, analyses like this only improve the stat from its raw form, and would bring the two of you even closer together than you already are. I do not think it looks good on you to be as dismissive of save percentage as you are.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Goalie talent is not at all ambiguous - it's a competition of skills. What is ambiguous about it? This is how the world functions: on talent evaluation. If you have ever been involved in hiring with your company or with performance evaluations, that's talent evaluation.

If an employer doesn't credit their best performing employee (e.g. a two-time Vezina winner) with "talent" said employer is a complete idiot.

I don't troll. I don't have that kind of time

Except you're saying something outlandish seemingly to get a rise out of people, which is pretty much the definition of trolling...

If you care to share your thoughts on the technical aspects of the goalies you listed, I'm all ears...

Talent != Technique

You're conflating the two when you shouldn't. To use your employee evaluation analogy again, your most technically competent employee might also be a social basket case who is repellent to your clientele. If you're smart you cut them loose. You certainly don't describe them as "talented".

Again, this goes right back to my point about "goalie talent" being too ambiguous. You evidently take it to mean "most technically competent", which I don't agree at all. You ignore results; frankly I think that's just straight up dumb.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
If an employer doesn't credit their best performing employee (e.g. a two-time Vezina winner) with "talent" said employer is a complete idiot.

Except you're saying something outlandish seemingly to get a rise out of people, which is pretty much the definition of trolling...

Talent != Technique

You're conflating the two when you shouldn't. To use your employee evaluation analogy again, your most technically competent employee might also be a social basket case who is repellent to your clientele. If you're smart you cut them loose. You certainly don't describe them as "talented".

Again, this goes right back to my point about "goalie talent" being too ambiguous. You evidently take it to mean "most technically competent", which I don't agree at all. You ignore results; frankly I think that's just straight up dumb.

No. Not what Mike is saying or doing.

Recognizing and defining talent within the context of the opposition, not clientele. Big difference which I would expect you to understand.

Clientele as you described requires a mutually satisfactory ongoing relationship. Opposition requires an understanding of the adversarial relationship inherent in competition.

Advantage to having a frustrated opponent. No advantage to having a frustrated clientele group.

Decisions about clientele interacting employees are made accordingly as are decisions about competitive hires.

BTW - care to tells us about POPs?

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
As a member of the Tim Thomas HHOF crowd...
Don't know if I want to add my name to that membership roster-- but I don't think I'd mind sitting in on a meeting or two.

Used to get fired up about the Thomas-bashing... but not so much now. Especially not this latest version- as it's relatively easy to address:

Let's concede the premise- yes- concede the premise straight off; and play along with the assertion that Tim Thomas was a giftless, talentless itinerant. Now, wrap our heads around the fact that he accomplished what he did in spite of all of this. What can we say? Maybe that he's an amazingly tenacious super-competitor who willed his way to his accomplishments even though he was nearly hamstrung by lack of talent. An über-Rudy, if you will. If this is the case, would this not be grounds to admire the guy even more?

Of course, someone might open up a third front, and say that neither of the above premises are true (i.e.: not talented, not tenacious ether) and say that he's a complete creation of his team's defensive system. If someone continues down THAT path, it starts to look suspiciously like outcome-based reasoning.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
It seems like what you're saying is "look, I'm not saying he wasn't the best in the NHL that year.... he was.... but, it was such a bad year, there was no one else to choose!"

Correct me if I'm wrong. I want to understand what you really mean before I reply to this.

I don't personally think he was the best. But, it's a defensible position...and look around, everyone was wiped out while Thomas was snacking away in someone's bomb shelter...in 2011, even though he broke a record*, with even faint signs of life out there, GMs flocked to other answers...

Same thing in 1998 vs 1999 when Hasek broke the record*...just not that interesting of a stat to people in and around the game...not entirely worthless, but I am not sure there is a bigger divide on stat "value" between public and 'hockey people', if you will, than this one...maybe plus/minus...

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Don't know if I want to add my name to that membership roster-- but I don't think I'd mind sitting in on a meeting or two.

Used to get fired up about the Thomas-bashing... but not so much now. Especially not this latest version- as it's relatively easy to address:

Let's concede the premise- yes- concede the premise straight off; and play along with the assertion that Tim Thomas was a giftless, talentless itinerant. Now, wrap our heads around the fact that he accomplished what he did in spite of all of this. What can we say? Maybe that he's an amazingly tenacious super-competitor who willed his way to his accomplishments even though he was nearly hamstrung by lack of talent. An über-Rudy, if you will. If this is the case, would this not be grounds to admire the guy even more?

Of course, someone might open up a third front, and say that neither of the above premises are true (i.e.: not talented, not tenacious ether) and say that he's a complete creation of his team's defensive system. If someone continues down THAT path, it starts to look suspiciously like outcome-based reasoning.

Why concede anything?

Thomas era Bruins went with two goalies. Tim Thomas and Tuukka Rask. Both capable of winning when on and disappointing when not.

Mike's point applies to both.

2010. Bruins lead the Flyers 3-0 in games. Game 4 in Philly goes to OT

Game 4

Flyers win.Likewise games 5 and 6.
Game seven in Boston. Bruins take a 3-0 first period lead but Flyers comeback winning 4-3 taking the game and the series. Bruins blow double 3-0 leads.Why?

Game 7

If you are reading this the assumption is that you have watched the posted hilites.

Rask's SV% games 1-3 was 0.928. Games 4-7 while facing fewer shots / game it was 0.874 ave SV% was 0.898.

Did SV% in any form - average or broken down capture the problem? No.

Five key goals, game 4 OT and game 7 were scored on Rask when he reverted to his habit of trying to play on his knees. Good old eye test carries the day.

SV% is an averaging stat. Not very dependable for predicting goalie collapses or successes. MFs basic point.

Be it Rask or Thomas.

BTW - can you tell the audience about POPs. Will accept the explanation in the colour of your choice.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I don't personally think he was the best. But, it's a defensible position...and look around, everyone was wiped out while Thomas was snacking away in someone's bomb shelter...in 2011, even though he broke a record*, with even faint signs of life out there, GMs flocked to other answers...

Same thing in 1998 vs 1999 when Hasek broke the record*
...just not that interesting of a stat to people in and around the game...not entirely worthless, but I am not sure there is a bigger divide on stat "value" between public and 'hockey people', if you will, than this one...maybe plus/minus...

While it’s true that voters largely went with other names in 1998-99 (just 8 of 27 voters gave Hasek a 1st place vote and 6 left him off entirely), I think that had more to do with him getting injured for a month again than it being an indictment of the save percentage record itself.

Though it is a weird record when you think about it. You could theoretically be having a hot start and then tear something around Christmas and then you’re the record holder.

Goaltending is funny like that; everyone starts at Wayne Gretzky’s 215-point season and plays themselves out of it at different paces.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com

Talent != Technique

1. Don't be a child. That should be enough there.

2. Talent and technique have a lot longer road together than not.

3. You're conflating results with talent (including consistency, reliability, sustainability). This goalie that you're talking about is a basket case and I don't mean it from a social perspective. Boston cut him loose, wasn't fighting to bring him back and then no one wanted him...

NHL career without Julien: 63-67-18, 2.96 GAA, .908 save pct., 4 SO
NHL career with Julien: 180-99-31, 2.24 GAA, .927 save pct., 33 SO

But, hey, maybe he practiced really, really hard there and nowhere else...

Same for Brian Elliott...

St. Louis 181 GP 2.01 GAA, .925 save pct., 25 SO
Not St. Louis: 231 GP 2.74 GAA, .905 save pct. 12 SO

You're getting trolled by these goalies, not me...

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Thomas was the easy vote knowing nobody could nitpick or ask them to draft the next Tim Thomas.

If Thomas was the safe, non-nitpickable choice for Vezina, then that pretty much suggests that he's not a bottom tier goaltender in the general managers' eyes.

In fact, it would suggest that he's seen as good.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Is it possible that the answer is somewhere in the middle? Maybe Thomas was slightly overrated and had technical deficiencies that the Boston system (led by Chara and Bergeron on the ice) helped mask, but at the same time he was extremely talented at fighting the puck and scrambling. I agree that his career was far from consistent, and perhaps his deficiencies and style of play account for that, but for his best years he made it work and was able to reach the top of the game.

I will say - as an opposing fan, even in his best years, Thomas never "scared" me. Hasek scared me. Roy scared me. In the more modern game, Price in his Hart season scared me. I knew that my team could dominate and throw 45 shots, 20 high quality, on net, and score no goals. I never felt that way with Thomas, mainly because I thought his rebound control was poor and if you could get second and third chances (despite his great ability to scramble) you'd find a way to score.

Reactions: seventieslord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad