Seven teams leaving WCHA

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Funny for state institutions, religious and nonprofit institutions in an ametuer enterprise.

An understandable comment and a good grasp on the general state of things...

...but imagine telling taxpayers in your state "it's our duty to spend more of your money to prop up Alaska athletics." It's not necessarily a good selling point.

Also unfortunately, I can make the same comment in regard to Big 10 schools that really did cause this in the first place.

It's not a situation that lends itself to a feel-good conclusion.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I could see UAH being invited to the new conference. The new conference, as of now, has 7 teams, which means 1 team each weekend is either playing non-conference or not playing. An even number of teams is much more manageable. Also, one trip per year to Northern Alabama is not that demanding.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I could see UAH being invited to the new conference. The new conference, as of now, has 7 teams, which means 1 team each weekend is either playing non-conference or not playing. An even number of teams is much more manageable. Also, one trip per year to Northern Alabama is not that demanding.
Southern Bama once a year, is a chore.

Reactions: OTBHockey

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Off topic, but do you have any links to this? I'm in Brandon now, but I don't have a great history with BU sports before I moved in here.
For Brandon hockey, go to Wikia:
Brandon Bobcats

For Brandon's status problem, they started volleyball in the Central Plains Athletic Conference (CPAC), which became the Manitoba Colleges Athletic Conference (MCAC). The CPAC pages have disappeared from the internet. Brandon played there for a couple years before entering the CW. Good luck finding out anything about those seasons!

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net

I think it is more likely they get ASU then bring UAH into the mix but who knows. Big Ten has functioned pretty well with 7 teams playing each other 4x, that might be preferable to adding either one

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Except that Huntsville is as north as you can get and still be in Alabama.

Nope. It is that rest area with the rocket on I-65. That is about 2 miles over the state line.

JMCx4 is correct about Ardmore. I believe that it straddles the state line with Tennessee.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Very unlikely. CW teams are cash-strapped now. Imagine having to fly to Alaska for weekend games. Adding the two Alaskan teams would certainly change the balance of power in CW.

Not only that but how would it work with CW teams having former CHL players on their rosters?

The NCAA and Canadian universities have entirely different rules, but hopefully we will see some of the power of the NCAA diminished in upcoming years regarding an outdated early 20th century ideal about "professionalism & amateurism"

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Meanwhile, we still have to figure out the Alaska programs. It's unfortunate there isn't a serious West Coast foundation of hockey for them (and I mean actual West Coast, not "Colorado is the limit") to create a loose affiliation system, but any scenario will be expensive.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
The remaining teams of the WCHA are in quite the pickle. Especially with the news of Alaska's governor blocking key funds that may force all 3 University of Alaska colleges to merge into one school with three campuses. I really hope that the PAC 12 and SEC schools see the benefits of a college hockey program and quick because it would be a shame to see the NCAA undercut the gains made by the NHL in expanding the footprint of hockey in the US. it would be nice to see Oregon, Washington, and UNLV make the big step up as well as some of the California schools.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad