Seven teams leaving WCHA

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
This is terrible news. On one hand, this is very understandable. The current WCHA teams do not have large budgets and operate a league similar to Atlantic Hockey, which does everything necessary to keep costs down.

On the other hand, this is likely the execution order for all three teams. Maybe Huntsville can be saved, but that seems like a long shot. The Alaska teams are also facing serious budget cuts that might end all intercollegiate sports at both schools, so unfortunately, I think it is a matter of time before NCAA hockey says goodbye to the Nanooks and Seawolves.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I can't really blame them, but man that's rough for the Alaska teams especially. UAH should have some indy potential still, though.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Response from UAF chancellor below. All of this "news" has been simmering for a few weeks.
Statement from UAF Chancellor Dan White Regarding Potential Member Withdrawals from WCHA
6/28/2019 7:27:00 PM
By: UAF Communications

On June 28, the University of Alaska Fairbanks learned that seven members of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association announced plans to withdraw from the WCHA.

UAF was not notified in advance of this decision nor were we alerted to the preparation of such action. There are significant financial penalties for leaving the WCHA without advance notice. As such, each departing member has given two years' notice. We will continue to play WCHA hockey with the same teams for the next two years.

While the current configuration has had its advantages, UAF, the University of Alaska Anchorage and the University of Alabama-Huntsville have been financially disadvantaged in this conference, and a realignment may benefit all three universities in the long run. We are encouraged that there are a number of teams looking now, or will be looking soon, to join an NCAA Division I men's ice hockey conference. While disappointed in our WCHA colleagues' decision to leave, we look forward to the chance that lies ahead for building new partnerships.

- Dan White, UAF chancellor

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I don't know what their options realistically are other than hope that four west coast schools create varsity teams in the near future. Even if they and UAH teamed up with Arizona State (who I'm positive is more interested in the NCHC), they're still two teams short of the magic number of six for an auto bid to the tournament. Maybe yank Air Force but even that's a reach, and there are no other options west of the Alleghenies so it's not like there's anything remotely enticing to a team to change conferences and suddenly have an absurd travel schedule.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
I don't think that Air Force wants to leave Atlantic Hockey due to the conference rivalry with Army. The only reason I think Huntsville can be saved is that they might be admitted into the new conference, but like I said before, that still seems like a long shot.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This is really sad, I love cheering for the Alaskan schools - cool logos and mascots and every once in a while they produce a gem like Parayko or Glencross. I would agree they don't seem to have any logical options if the WCHA is disbanding. That was the most logical option.

Here's a thought - any chance they could join British Columbia Intercollegiate Hockey (BCIH)? Eastern Washington played hockey in that Canadian university conference for a year so there's precedent for American university membership and Simon Fraser (BC) has played athletics in the American NAIA level before and I think even tried to join the NCAA for hockey. Same with Canada West/U Sports, UBC tried to join the NCAA in hockey - could U Sports allow the Alaskan schools as associate hockey members? So many of the Alaskan university players come from the far western/northern reaches of Canada anyways. Schools like Simon Fraser, UBC and especially UofA (Alberta) player pretty darn high level competitive collegiate hockey. Travel for the Alaskan schools would be so much better and it would spark some fun new rivalries.

Wouldn't UAH to Atlantic Hockey make sense? I mean let's be honest the geographic moniker is meaningless when AF is in there and it would be the right level for UAH to continue.

Reactions: JMCx4

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The BCIHL is a non-varsity league. I could see them playing UBC and Trinity Western (moving from the BCIHL to the CW next year) in a non-conference schedule. Full membership in the CW would be a stretch. Unless the USA sells Alaska to Canada!

Reactions: BKarchitect

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I don't think that Air Force wants to leave Atlantic Hockey due to the conference rivalry with Army. The only reason I think Huntsville can be saved is that they might be admitted into the new conference, but like I said before, that still seems like a long shot.

Yeah, I don't see Air Force leaving either, but realistically speaking the Alaskas and Alabama getting both Air Force and Arizona State is really their only viable option and then somehow land a miracle and hope another random school jumps from an easier travel schedule or that an unknown western school wants to create a varsity team in the next couple of years.

Longshots aplenty, especially if UAH is able to join a different conference instead.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
They could move into USPORTS (Canada) Canada-West Conference (UBC, Trinity Western, Alberta, Calgary, Mount Royal, Lethbridge, MacEwan, USask, Regina & UMan). It wouldn't be easy with 10+2=12 teams, but it could work with two divisions; North West (UBC, Trinty, Alberta, MacEwan, UAF & UAA) vs Lower (Calgary, Mount Royal, Lethbridge, USask, Regina & UMan).

It would be interesting - unlikely, but not impossible.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Very unlikely. CW teams are cash-strapped now. Imagine having to fly to Alaska for weekend games. Adding the two Alaskan teams would certainly change the balance of power in CW.

Reactions: Drummer

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Both of the Alaskas are already at the bare minimum for sports sponsored to be members of the NCAA. If they want to continue athletics, they should consider exploring entry into USport and Canada West. I really think Alaska-Anchorage would look to go that route at the very least because they just opened Alaska Airlines Center in 2014 for their basketball, volleyball, gymnastics teams. I doubt they want it to be relegated to commencements and the occasional event put on by the local MMA organization after just 5 years.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I see your point, but how does the NCAA allow these teams to play against the "professional" players, as CIS is called - because their players all received compensation while playing Junior hockey. I recall in the late 90's when the CIS all stars played against a NCAA team in Detroit. All the US players were seniors to avoid the younger players being tainted from playing against the pros. The following year, the NCAA allowed all players to compete.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
I see your point, but how does the NCAA allow these teams to play against the "professional" players, as CIS is called - because their players all received compensation while playing Junior hockey. I recall in the late 90's when the CIS all stars played against a NCAA team in Detroit. All the US players were seniors to avoid the younger players being tainted from playing against the pros. The following year, the NCAA allowed all players to compete.
I never said anything about them staying NCAA. If they want to keep athletics, they should consider USports.

I don't really see how they could cut enough to fit whatever stripped budget they have moving forward. I'll admit, I don't know about the USports requirements and how many sports they require their members to have or if there is such a thing.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I never said anything about them staying NCAA. If they want to keep athletics, they should consider USports.

I don't really see how they could cut enough to fit whatever stripped budget they have moving forward. I'll admit, I don't know about the USports requirements and how many sports they require their members to have or if there is such a thing.
It's mostly up to the conferences. This last arose with Brandon when all they had left was basketball. They were given a time limit to get another sport, and chose volleyball. New admissions could be a different story. Recent additions have entered on a gradual basis, with some sports remaining in provincial college leagues (e.g. BCIHL, ACAC).

So, if Alaska wants to join they would need to satisfy Canada West.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Can we blame the Big 10 for this?

Technically. They're the ones that started the conference arms race that necessitated the NCHC getting formed which forced the WCHA to turn into a Frankenstein's Monster amalgamation that left none of the member schools happy.

But also not the Big Ten's job to care about Alaska schools.

Reactions: EvilDead

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Technically. They're the ones that started the conference arms race that necessitated the NCHC getting formed which forced the WCHA to turn into a Frankenstein's Monster amalgamation that left none of the member schools happy.

But also not the Big Ten's job to care about Alaska schools.
They should give a thought to the overall good of the sport.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

Yes, but at the same time, it's not the Haves' responsibility to care for the Have Nots', unfortunately. They want as much money as possible, and if there's money to be had, they're going to want all the money, dammit. This is the nature of a capitalist society and especially in the world of college athletics; you're never going to see the ACC or the SEC give the SWAC or MEAC additional funds to their members' aside from when they show up as cupcake games to get clobbered to help get their departments up to code and keep their meager athletic departments from constantly getting in trouble with the NCAA since the majority of postseason bans affect HBCUs.

In Division I hockey, it was pretty clear that they weren't willing to put up with going to Alaska much longer, and coupled with a government up there that feels that education isn't as important as keeping dying industries alive (oil and coal), and as such, has no problems slashing a massive portion of their budget, that's a one-two punch that'll spell the end of their status in the NCAA.

Then, there's Alabama-Huntsville, who, like Arizona State, is an outlier, but unlike Arizona State, doesn't have the "cool factor". Certainly, they'll have a better shot getting into a conference, although there will be schools that'll grumble about going to Alabama.

Reactions: EvilDead and JMCx4

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
It's mostly up to the conferences. This last arose with Brandon when all they had left was basketball. They were given a time limit to get another sport, and chose volleyball.

Off topic, but do you have any links to this? I'm in Brandon now, but I don't have a great history with BU sports before I moved in here.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Yes, but at the same time, it's not the Haves' responsibility to care for the Have Nots', unfortunately. They want as much money as possible, and if there's money to be had, they're going to want all the money, dammit. This is the nature of a capitalist society and especially in the world of college athletics; you're never going to see the ACC or the SEC give the SWAC or MEAC additional funds to their members' aside from when they show up as cupcake games to get clobbered to help get their departments up to code and keep their meager athletic departments from constantly getting in trouble with the NCAA since the majority of postseason bans affect HBCUs.
Funny for state institutions, religious and nonprofit institutions in an ametuer enterprise.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Then, there's Alabama-Huntsville, who, like Arizona State, is an outlier, but unlike Arizona State, doesn't have the "cool factor". Certainly, they'll have a better shot getting into a conference, although there will be schools that'll grumble about going to Alabama.
IMO if Alabama moves ahead with building their new ice facility, they will greatly improve their ability to attract high-level talent (players AND coaching) and thus have a very competitive team within a handful of seasons. So it may behoove them to stay independent until their new building & new team become an attractive combination for one of the more stable hockey conferences to bring them in.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Literally every major conference or league would gladly trade the "good of the sport" for extra profits.

But, from a good of the sport mindset, two power conferences (Big Ten + NCHC) plus a more stable successor to the WCHA with significantly lower travel costs might actually be best in the longterm for the overall sport even at the cost of two programs, with absolutely all-due respect to Alaska, especially if any other Midwestern schools created varsity programs and had more stable environments to play in as a result.

Reactions: JMCx4

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Literally every major conference or league would gladly trade the "good of the sport" for extra profits.

But, from a good of the sport mindset, two power conferences (Big Ten + NCHC) plus a more stable successor to the WCHA with significantly lower travel costs might actually be best in the longterm for the overall sport even at the cost of two programs, with absolutely all-due respect to Alaska, especially if any other Midwestern schools created varsity programs and had more stable environments to play in as a result.
Trying to shave eligibility off older players certainly wasn't in that vein.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad