Seven Goals/Eight Games

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's goals by the Bruins defensemen, and what it means is that they're getting bad production out of their forwards if the D has a third of their total goals. You can interpret that a couple of different ways. One, the offense will start kicking in and perform up to acceptable levels, or two, the d will tail off and this team won't be able to buy a goal. Either way, the reliance on the d to score is not a great place to be. This state that MMB brings up is like a microcosm of why their PP is so terrible, IMO.

You need your forwards to score. So far, they're not.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I don't think it is a bad thing, Krug has 3 of those, and the guy is amazing at getting open for the shot, and getting them on goal.

This is what the Bruins have been missing, and finally the Bruins have 2 solid puck moving defenseman in Krug and Hamilton.

I love the balance of the defense this year, and with the young guys, I hope they can get even better.

Also Krug is 7th in rookie scoring and 1st for dmen.

howaryuh

Mar 28, 2004
Guelph, Ontario
With the young guys accounting for 5 of them, it means we have D that can join the rush and create opportunities. All the while keeping their +/- respectable. (and I'm amazed neither have a penalty called against them). Balance!

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Our Fs might not be racking up the points as much as we'd like, but their overall performance has been fine to me. We just now have the luxury of Krug and Dougie jumping into plays in the opponent's end. I'm sure our Fs will pop up on the score sheet at a more consistent rate in due time, but nonetheless I think they look great out there. Good chemistry, good N to S movement, and great passing.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
It's goals by the Bruins defensemen, and what it means is that they're getting bad production out of their forwards if the D has a third of their total goals. You can interpret that a couple of different ways. One, the offense will start kicking in and perform up to acceptable levels, or two, the d will tail off and this team won't be able to buy a goal. Either way, the reliance on the d to score is not a great place to be. This state that MMB brings up is like a microcosm of why their PP is so terrible, IMO.

I agree with you, Lonnie, but I still see good scoring opportunities from the forwards and decent puck possession - in theory (let me carry the one and divide by pi) this should lead to goals.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
That's an interesting statistic that you bring to light.

I'm not sure what it means for the Bruins offense, but in addition to giving the D credit for those goals, we must also assume that the offensive players on the ice at the times those goals were scored, had at least something to do with some of the plays.

Dougie's goal last night was a prime example of that. Yes, he made a heady decision to jump up into the play in order to create the odd-man rush, and his finish on the play was sensational, but that was a all-around team effort on that goal. I believe Johnson made a save on a Buffalo chance, and then the Bs did a great job of transitioning. Soderberg started the play along the boards, and then Marchand made a terrific pass over to Dougie (Sorry if I have the exact sequence or players mixed up, but I'm just going by memory).

Point being: though Dougie may have been the one to finish that play off, the forwards on the ice played a key role in creating that scoring chance.

Ultimately, as long as the forward lines are creating chances, and the team is scoring, I don't care that much about which positions are actually cashing in.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

Can always count on LSCII to give you the negative view of something.:sarcasm:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Here's another research project. Only two guys are averaging more than a PPG for the B's, who are they? Hint: neither is Eriksson, which leads me to believe this team will be OK while Loui is out.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

A negative out of a positive? Yep. That's a LSCII post...

Bottom line, the Bruins are scoring just fine with a 3,12 goals per game, good for 7th in the league...

Caper

Mar 15, 2004
Niagara
Interesting to note that all 4 PP goals have been scored by the D as well, Krug (two), Hamilton and Chara. It's still early folks...

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Clodes system has aslways relied on using the points to get the puck on goal. It used to be as a way to get a rebound, or shoot it "intentionally wide". But now those goals are going in.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I agree with you, Lonnie, but I still see good scoring opportunities from the forwards and decent puck possession - in theory (let me carry the one and divide by pi) this should lead to goals.

You're absolutely right. They are still getting chances, so things should swing back the other way soon enough. That's what I keep hoping for and fully expect to happen at least. So far the play of the d has been very similar to last year's play off run. Lots of goals coming from the back end, not so much from the forwards. I didn't think it would hold up for the long run then, nor do I feel that's likely to happen here. It's nice that they have guys at all positions that can fill the net if need be, but I'd like to get more of a consistent contribution from several of their key forwards.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Can always count on LSCII to give you the negative view of something.:sarcasm:

A negative out of a positive? Yep. That's a LSCII post...

Bottom line, the Bruins are scoring just fine with a 3,12 goals per game, good for 7th in the league...

It's ironic that I lay out two possible scenarios, one positive and one negative, and the only thing you two see is the negative. Maybe you guys should take a long look in the mirror before you start pointing fingers and labeling people. Just a thought...:laugh:

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
It's ironic that I lay out two possible scenarios, one positive and one negative, and the only thing you two see is the negative. Maybe you guys should take a long look in the mirror before you start pointing fingers and labeling people. Just a thought...:laugh:

Hey, you and I both know I only read the first line of each post.:laugh:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
You're absolutely right. They are still getting chances, so things should swing back the other way soon enough. That's what I keep hoping for and fully expect to happen at least. So far the play of the d has been very similar to last year's play off run. Lots of goals coming from the back end, not so much from the forwards. I didn't think it would hold up for the long run then, nor do I feel that's likely to happen here. It's nice that they have guys at all positions that can fill the net if need be, but I'd like to get more of a consistent contribution from several of their key forwards.

I think the team is built via scoring by committee. That our forwards haven't quite been where we'd like them to be yet (as a whole) is mitigated by a defense that looks drastically different than we're used to. The defense is scoring and this time it isn't Chara being the driving force behind that.

6 - 2 record. Decent GPG. Great GAA. And contributions from everywhere. All without playing up to the capabilities we can reasonably expect from this roster.

I think traditionally though, that the Bruins have had their best seasons when the contributions from the blueline have been their most significant. And it looks like we may have a pretty dynamic defense.

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
Of course it's early, but the Bruins are scoring approximately .5 goals per game more than last season, and the Bruins D are mostly responsible for that increase. They scored 23 goals in 48 games last season, 7 in 8 is pretty much .5 goals per game better. It doesn't look like the Forwards have actually fallen off their pace from last season.

The other positive thing I'd suggest with the forwards, is that although there is an increasing amount of pinching in, overall it isn't at the expense of overall team G.A.A.. That's surely got a lot to do with the forwards covering D positions when pinching is going on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->